Originally Posted by maccharles
song a week #36....of 52.

once again, I had no clue what to write about this week. I live in a semi-rural setting, it's a holiday/weekend destination and gets a lot of touristy types with money.....the general feeling here is "come and visit, but don't stay".......that triggered this number.

https://soundcloud.com/mac-charles/two-horse-town

<two horse town>

she tried passing through here,
but her mercedes broke down-
I found her on highway 90, ten miles from town-

no smile, no thank you,
when she looked down her nose-
dirt under my nails, long day's work on my clothes-

it's written all over her face,
we all must know our place,
and my place is a two horse town-

she's never heard waylon jennings,
don't like john cash,
don't think it's a choice when people work with

their hands-

she talks about money,
and the locks on her door-
I smile and nod my head, I'm not listening anymore-

I shift into second gear,
and pray she doesn't like it here,
'cuz I love my two horse town-

(solo)

she offered me fifty bucks,
thank you would have been enough,
in a two horse town-

I like the way this sounds. The vocals, the music, and the production are all spot-on, however...
I don't think the song is written to the hook at all. There is nothing about the lyric that says "two horse town". Your hook could be "tiny town", "country town", or "my hometown", and it would still work. If you're going to use a clever phrase like "two horse town" (instead of "one horse town"), you need to back it up with some clever writing. Why is it a "two horse town"? What differentiates it?
I have heard another song with this same hook (no biggie...lots of songs use the same hooks) but the writer had the singer living in a one horse town bemoaning the fact that his woman had left him for a guy in a two horse town. He gave the song a reason to be called "Two Horse Town" other than just a writer's whim. That's what I find lacking here...a reason to call this song "Two Horse Town".
Everything else about it gets thumbs-ups from me.