JPF Home Page

C

Posted By: Greg Pospiel

C - 10/12/07 06:16 AM

C
Posted By: SteveHVasil

Re: Need Help With Gibson Vintage Hawk Tube Amp - 10/12/07 12:14 PM

Hi,

There are safety issues to be considered with an old amp like this. You might consider inspecting the power cord to make sure the insulating material is not disintegrating. The big filter capacitors in the power supply might need replacing. If it works, maybe it's okay.

If you're experiencing occasional noise, this could be a questionable connection/solder joint anywhere from the input jack throughout the rest of the amp. Good luck with it.
Posted By: Steve Humes

Re: Need Help With Gibson Vintage Hawk Tube Amp - 10/12/07 01:20 PM

Sometimes you have to plug these old tube amps in and leave them on for days to re energize the capacitors.
Posted By: Ray E. Strode

Re: Need Help With Gibson Vintage Hawk Tube Amp - 10/12/07 04:07 PM

I looked up the tubes in my RCA Tube Manuel and substution list. It appears there are no other tubes for this amp if you need to replace them. You might try googling the amp for informtion about this amp.
Posted By: Greg Pospiel

Re: Need Help With Gibson Vintage Hawk Tube Amp *DELETED* *DELETED* - 10/14/07 07:17 PM

Post deleted by gpsongwriter
Posted By: David Guy

Re: Need Help With Gibson Vintage Hawk Tube Amp - 10/15/07 05:09 AM

The 7591 tubes are available. Here's one place "Torres Engineering"

http://www.torresengineering.com/75newnewnewj.html

Actually, it slips my mind right now, but I think it is a variac. When a tube amp hasn't been used in a long while, you bring it up slowly to full power over a period of time to allow the capacitors to build back up.
Posted By: Jack Swain

Re: Need Help With Gibson Vintage Hawk Tube Amp - 10/15/07 08:42 AM

The first thing you should do before buying tubes is get a tuner cleaner and thoroughly clean all the contact points including the tube sockets and all the knob shafts and if you can get to them internally all the rheostat contact plates. More than likely much of the popping and crackling sounds is due to old dirty contact points. You might still want to replace the tubes, but new tubes might not stop some of the cracking and popping.
© 2021 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards