Weíll all stand up and cheer
Another soul is coming home
Sinners welcome here

Yeah, Heaven ain't just for the saints
Sinners welcome here

Posted By: Two Singers

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 02:28 AM

Hi Ray,

I do not comment about the content of Christian/Gospel/Religous oriented songs. No matter what ine says, it will offend someone. But, as far as overall appeal and the demo...that's good to go!

Your lyric is structered logically and each line seems to feed nicely into the next..always a good thing! The demo is extremely well performed and produced. Great vocals and mixing. They did a super job for you. Sounds like something that would be a really good fit for Christian radio. Good luck with it!

Alan
Posted By: Roy Harris

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 03:05 AM

Thanks Al for the listen and comment. Christian/Gospel songs are sometimes hard to comment on, I agree. But I appreciate your nice words about the demo. I'll pass that on to Kevin, I too think he did a great job on the demo.
Posted By: Tom Franz

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 07:25 AM

You know Roy I usually don't enjoy vertical/Christian music so much.
But who can resist this. There is something that is just so unpretentious and unpreachy about the message.

Reminds me of my favorite album ever Ry Cooder "Into the Purple Valley" where he did "Denomination Blues".

Good work,
Tom
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 11:35 AM

I am not a religious person but can still appreciate a well crafted song. This is pretty good. My only nit is starting with the chorus. It gives the game away too early. I would have started with verse 1 then the chorus. That would leave room for another verse. I think the story needs another verse. The guy finds a church and he is a sinner with a heavy load then the story pretty much ends without any embellishment or saying what happened to the guy after finding the church......that could be addressed in another verse.

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 03:40 PM

Thanks guys for the listen and comments. I do appreciate it. Beginning with the chorus with Kevin's idea and I usually trust his better judgment since he's been doing this about 20 years or so, but it's a point well taken.
Posted By: DonnaMarilyn

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 04:01 PM

I agree with the others here, Roy. A well-structured song, with a fresh appeal. I concur with Jim, though, that it should begin with verse 1 rather than the chorus. The way it stands at the moment, it's an anti-climax, coming from the chorus into verse 1. Plus, 4 choruses seem a little much to me. Anyway, just a suggestion. KOS. wink

Donna
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 05:13 PM

Pretty good demo, everything sounds pretty good. The "chorus first" versus "verse first" is always an ongoing battle. Basically, you should have the chorus first a) if the chorus is fairly short or b) you want to add variety to your "portfolio". Sometimes having the chorus first is just a fun way to go.

In this case, I would vote for verse first.

Kevin

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/16/09 07:29 PM

Thanks Kevin. Everybody seems to think the chorus first is not the way to go. I'm pitching this to a country gospel band that has recorded some of my songs before. If he likes it well enough for his next CD, of course they always have the option of doing it any way they want to. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit. lol.
Posted By: NaomiSue

Re: Sinners Welcome Here - 10/17/09 12:50 AM

This sounds like an Alabama, Diamond Rio kinda song to me. My Grandfather was a baptist preacher so I have a big soft spot for gospel music. I really like this a lot.
© 2021 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards