So thank you Reverend Bob
For pointing out in words
Repentance is the surest way to Heaven
But before I can repent
I must commit a sin
So I’m working hard oh so hard to get to Heaven

ch
Posted By: Steve Altonian Re: Reverend Bob - 06/16/21 04:56 PM
Thanks for sharing such an intricate story...

When I was a teenager in the 70's Reverand Bob used to come in to the gas station I worked at in Burbank & I'd fill his gas tank up...

Reverand Bob told me a story that never left me of when he was younger & he saw a hot chick and rubber necked looking at her and took his eyes off the road and crashed into the car in front of him...

That story was his way of preaching to a young teenager to watch out for women, they will take your eyes off the road, and you just could be headed for a terrible crash...

Wish I'd of listened better.... sick
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Reverend Bob - 06/17/21 04:45 PM
I actually have a fun lyric based on exactly that happening...but it wasn't my day & St Pete sent me back ===with a twist. I plan to record it and use a video I created for it...one of my outstandings

Reverend Bob is a total caricature for me...and really the tale is about me and sinning my way to forgiveness and redemption....dealt with in a hopefully humorous way

Thanks for listening in..
Posted By: IronKnee Re: Reverend Bob - 06/20/21 07:38 AM
Hey there John.............Love the song. I like the video, as well.
Good lyrics, man!
Good luck in the comp......I like that one, too.
-T
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Reverend Bob - 06/21/21 03:36 PM
Thank FerrousJoint smile

And good luck with EAEOTF in the contest too -T Been submitting lyrics to the Muse monthly contests but song submissions have been more recent. I think this is my third maybe fourth submission

The quality of submissions is stellar and what sets this contest apart is the notes people take and add to their posts. I expect that is a by product of focused attention on listening and reading the lyric..and taking those spontaneous in the moment thoughts, or just the feeling you get when you've just heard a good song...and putting that into writing
Posted By: VNORTH2 Re: Reverend Bob - 06/22/21 08:55 PM
John, this is excellent writing. You nail what goes on and the thinking of people perfectly.

Steve
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: Reverend Bob - 06/22/21 11:56 PM
I always like songs that can find the humor in religion. I enjoyed this. I really like the joke it's built on.

I think this kind of humorous song benefits from internal rhymes, and you have some good ones, but a few more possibilities occurred to me as I listened (both internal and external).

Especially when Kim sings those beautiful hymns

If I had a dime for every time
Reverend Bob shouted, “sinners repent”
I’d have me enough to be generous in giving
And plenty for beer left to spend

Just some things that occurred to me. Fine as it is smile
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Reverend Bob - 06/24/21 12:36 AM
John,

I think many will/can relate to these lyrics--and although rationalizing and procrastinating may be kind of like playing Russian Roulette...........huh? But a sinner that admits his sins and tries improving is better off than a sinner that completely ignores one's virtuous goals----huh?

I enjoyed your song and a good theme.

steady-eddie
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Reverend Bob - 06/25/21 02:04 PM
Thank you Steve...nice to hear the lyric nails it.
Posted By: Marilyn Oakley Re: Reverend Bob - 07/05/21 07:41 PM
I really like and enjoyed this one, John. Well written. Thanks for pointing me to this one.
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Reverend Bob - 07/06/21 03:32 PM
Thanks Gavin...glad you appreciate the humour in this and the "joke"

It was a fun write ...and really started as making fun of a fire and brimstone preacher...then morphed into something a little more on its way to "the joke" as I realized the connection between repentance and forgiveness really has to start with sin.

Cheers
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Reverend Bob - 07/06/21 03:40 PM
Hi Eddie

One could definitely read seriousness into this because of the theme....and it can definitely spawn a fruitful discussion about redemption ...ie who achieves a higher state of grace...the "goody tooshoes (is that how it is spelled???) who never sinned and is full of self righteousness, or the sinner who repents? There is the story of "the penitant thief" who was crucified alongside Jesus.

I have no answers of course, but like I said, some could ead more into this than intended

Cheers
Posted By: John Voorpostel Re: Reverend Bob - 07/06/21 03:46 PM
Hi Marilyn

First off, I see you are also a really cool artist from your Youtube channel....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJSgZDBHLI&ab_channel=marilynoakley

Going to dig into this more when I have more time. I scanned the video though and it has definite appeak

And thank you for checking this one out..just had to point you to it when saw Hell Fire & Brimstone on your play list

Cheers
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards