JPF Home Page

A Vessel For You

Posted By: Mark Kaufman

A Vessel For You - 08/15/19 03:37 PM

Here's a new song that's 34 years old. I wrote it sometime in 1985 and finally decided it was time to press record. The lyrics I wrote back then were as vague as I wanted them to be, shooting more for imagery and expression than my own precise meaning, hoping the listener will find it anyway. We all talk to God in our own way.

The song doesn't really sound like 1985 to me now, just like it didn't then. It's just a song that sounds like this, I guess.

https://markkaufman.bandcamp.com/track/a-vessel-for-you


A Vessel For You

I blow saxophones into the night
I listen for echoes
But the answer is the question every time
Sometimes a pair of eyes suggest that they know
And it seems they understand the tune
Do they see the falling moon?

I couldn't stand the guessing game
So I've gone and left it up to thee
No more questions now
But maybe one more plea

If I must sleep forever
Please let me dream forever
All my senses
All my memories
Set free in dreams

I want to wrestle with you
I want to nestle with you
I've been a vessel for you

I tossed the message in the bottle in the river
Hope to hear from you someday
I'll be painting windy colors on the waves
And my eyes will seek to listen and to replay
You can see they understand the tune
And they've seen the falling moon

I couldn't stand the guessing game
So I've gone and left it up to thee
No more questions no
But maybe one more plea

If I must sleep forever
Please let me dream
Dream forever
All my senses
All my memories
Set free in dreams

I want to wrestle with you
I want to nestle with you
I've been a vessel for you

All my senses
All my memories
Set free in dreams
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair

Re: A Vessel For You - 08/15/19 06:33 PM

Great song! Great performance! Great production!

What I love about this is the variety. Of course, it has a very well thought out structure, but it feels like it's all over the place in the very best possible way. I felt like I was being led through the melody by your vocals. The other thing I like is that there are so many lines that are enjoyable in themselves as well as within the sense of the song starting with the very first three lines. "But the answer is the question every time" - that is some outstanding writing!

Also, the way you sing "Dream forever" the second time around is spot on.

If I have one quibble, it would be the sax during the intro. It sounds more like a growl, especially before the lyrics make you realize that it is in fact a sax smile

I was afraid that at over 5 minutes, this was going to be too long and I might lose interest. I ended up listening twice.
Posted By: JaneK

Re: A Vessel For You - 08/16/19 12:57 AM

I think this song is timeless, in melody, vocal delivery and performance and the production is outstanding.

I really enjoyed listening to this.
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: A Vessel For You - 08/21/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
Great song! Great performance! Great production!

What I love about this is the variety. Of course, it has a very well thought out structure, but it feels like it's all over the place in the very best possible way. I felt like I was being led through the melody by your vocals. The other thing I like is that there are so many lines that are enjoyable in themselves as well as within the sense of the song starting with the very first three lines. "But the answer is the question every time" - that is some outstanding writing!

Also, the way you sing "Dream forever" the second time around is spot on.

If I have one quibble, it would be the sax during the intro. It sounds more like a growl, especially before the lyrics make you realize that it is in fact a sax smile

I was afraid that at over 5 minutes, this was going to be too long and I might lose interest. I ended up listening twice.


Thanks Gavin! It's a very odd, meandering structure. It was definitely written "out loud", meaning I was writing while trying to strum and sing all at once, trying to make the whole thing come out on the spot. These days I write in my head a lot more, thinking through ideas then playing them. Back when this was written, I always wrote playing guitar, often standing up and walking around strumming. So instead of standard structures, I often just went where the mood took me. Looking back, I was less restrictive in my thinking than I am these days, writing-wise.

I agree with the sax...I want the trio of them to sound airy and separate, but it sounds heavy and phlegmy. Still working on that. Thanks Gavin!
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: A Vessel For You - 08/21/19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
I think this song is timeless, in melody, vocal delivery and performance and the production is outstanding.

I really enjoyed listening to this.


Wow! grin Thanks Jane, I'm really grateful for that.
Posted By: Steve Altonian

Re: A Vessel For You - 09/25/19 06:40 PM

I love this...The sound isn't 1985 but classic 1970's with different influences. You were smart to just roll with the song and not try to update it....

Well done
Posted By: Michael Zaneski

Re: A Vessel For You - 09/26/19 02:15 AM

Hi Mark,

This reminds me of John Lennon in both the songwriting and the vocals.

Very good writing, beautiful arrangement and production, and your vocals are simply amazing.

It does remind me of the 70/80's in one way, and that is the remarkable right-brain style lyric writing which I used to really love to read along with, when albums printed lyrics on the sleeves. Lyrics that made you read and re-read, cuz they were sparking the intuition as much as cognition. I endured a lot of iffy prog rock for that very reason, but this reminds me more of David Byrne's style. Concise thoughts but non-linear. Sub-atomic particles not behaving.

Nothing to "endure" here. Just remarkable beauty all the way through. smile

Mike
Posted By: Calvin

Re: A Vessel For You - 09/26/19 07:43 PM

Hi Mark,


Dreamy/beautiful......thanks for sharing what you're doing.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
Posted By: Dave Rice (D)

Re: A Vessel For You - 10/01/19 01:21 PM

So glad I took the time to listen, Mark:

Someone said, "Timeless"... and that's a pretty darn good description. Words are always important to me and when woven well into a great melody, then fleshed out with a vocal to die for... this one has "all the tickets" to the big tent's center ring.

The line... "But the answer is the question everytime..." really stands out and sets up the message of the song.

Enjoyed so much, my friend. Keep them coming. ----Dave
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: A Vessel For You - 10/01/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Altonian
I love this...The sound isn't 1985 but classic 1970's with different influences. You were smart to just roll with the song and not try to update it....

Well done


Thanks Steve! I'm pretty much stuck in about 1971, and that's all right with me. grin
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: A Vessel For You - 10/01/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Mark,

This reminds me of John Lennon in both the songwriting and the vocals.

Very good writing, beautiful arrangement and production, and your vocals are simply amazing.

It does remind me of the 70/80's in one way, and that is the remarkable right-brain style lyric writing which I used to really love to read along with, when albums printed lyrics on the sleeves. Lyrics that made you read and re-read, cuz they were sparking the intuition as much as cognition. I endured a lot of iffy prog rock for that very reason, but this reminds me more of David Byrne's style. Concise thoughts but non-linear. Sub-atomic particles not behaving.

Nothing to "endure" here. Just remarkable beauty all the way through. smile

Mike


Wow, thanks Mike.

I can't escape the Beatles. Wouldn't want to, either...I just don't know how else to think musically other than on the paths they blazed. All my other influences were influenced by them anyway. That said, this one never gave me a Beatles feeling, but I do see the similarity in approach. Sort of a #9 Dream, take all the time it needs structure.

Lyrically, feelings just don't make sense, so why make sense when expressing them. BI think it works better to evoke feelings with imagery and in the emotions you sing into that imagery. This makes me a rotten country artist, because country is very logical with straight-ahead verbiage that only allows for maybe one dreamy sentiment, but just the one...none of this painting windy colors on the waves mumbojumbo.

I really appreciate your time and thoughts, thank you.
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: A Vessel For You - 10/01/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Hi Mark,


Dreamy/beautiful......thanks for sharing what you're doing.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart


Thanks Calvin! smile
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: A Vessel For You - 10/01/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Rice
So glad I took the time to listen, Mark:

Someone said, "Timeless"... and that's a pretty darn good description. Words are always important to me and when woven well into a great melody, then fleshed out with a vocal to die for... this one has "all the tickets" to the big tent's center ring.

The line... "But the answer is the question everytime..." really stands out and sets up the message of the song.

Enjoyed so much, my friend. Keep them coming. ----Dave


I'm really glad to know you like this one, Dave. We usually always know what sound we're chasing, but it's really hard to guess what other people will like. It frankly surprises me that this song is being well-received...I would have expected more people to find it kind of weird and unappealing. MAkes me happy to know you enjoyed it, thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,

Mark
© 2021 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards