JPF Home Page
Posted By: Iggy That's What Dads Do - 02/11/19 05:23 PM
I finished this last night. I won't go into details as I think the lyrics are clear enough. Very basic recording with me playing guitars and keys. All vocals are me, old school, no vocal processors or harmonizers.

http://www.badbetsy.com/new_original/s/thats_what_dads_do

That’s What Dad’s Do

Words / Music: J. Taylor

© 2019 Bad Betsy Publishing A.S.C.A.P.

Verse 1

I held you in my arms

Right before your Momma did.

I knew that you were special

I did everything to keep you from harm.

Chorus

I’LL BE THERE FOR YOU

WHEN YOU’RE SAD OR FEELING BLUE

THROUGH THE YEARS AS YOU GREW AND GREW

I WAS THERE. CAUSE THAT WHAT DADS DO

Verse 2

Many times I stood in the dark

As you wandered through your life

I chimed in when you asked me to

Held back tears when you gave up being a wife

Repeat Chorus

Bridge

If I could take away all your pain

Bring you sun when it’s pouring rain

Give you hope and fight your fears

Hold you close and dry your tears

Key Change : Repeat Chorus
Posted By: Neil Cotton Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/12/19 06:36 PM
nice...out of the 60s...works for me. ala Mamas & Papas
Posted By: E Swartz Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/17/19 02:34 PM
Iggy,

I couldn't find the song through your link? I was looking "That's what Dad's do?"

steady-eddie
Posted By: Vicarn Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/17/19 04:37 PM
Says "Error: Page not found".

Vic
Posted By: E Swartz Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/19/19 12:58 AM
Come on Iggy, Vic & I want to know what "Dad's do" besides making babies!

steady-eddie
Posted By: Iggy Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/19/19 06:36 PM
Ha! Makin babies. Kind of what this songs about. I put it back up

http://www.badbetsy.com/new_original/s/thats_what_dads_do
Posted By: Vicarn Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/19/19 07:21 PM
Awww! Sweet sentiment.
Just one observation: I thought that there may be a drag coming out of the bridge.
Like the chorus should come in sooner.

Vic
Posted By: E Swartz Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/19/19 08:29 PM
Iggy,,

It surely is a sweet song, love the harmonies too. I didn't feel any "drag" as Vic did after the bridge and liked that transition back to the chorus.

However, though I liked your lyric concept, I think you can improve upon the lyrics a bit as far as "verse" rhyme structure keeping more consistent. I think you could maybe use the word embark in that 2nd verse to rhyme with dark. I also think you might lose the 2nd chorus rhyme (blue- a bit trite anyway), and insert a non rhyme story line--just let the three lines rhyme which is enough IMO. Of course it's fine as is, and sugs are JMO--use or lose.

I always enjoy your performance and music Iggy--nice write!

steady-eddie
Posted By: Iggy Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/20/19 05:47 PM
Neil wow the Mamas and Papas. I love their harmonies. Vic, thanks for the listen and the suggestion. Eddie you're right on with your suggestions. It was a quick song to my daughter so I didn't pay too much attention to proper song structure. If I was going to play it live or send it out to publishers, I most certainly would polish it up using your suggestions. Funny about song writing. I submitted a song to a well known song guru for an evaluation. He said I should never start a verse on the same chord I ended the chorus. There should always be a transition. I reminded him of several Beatle songs that do just that. He replied "you ain't no Beatle".
Posted By: Wendy D Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/23/19 06:25 PM
Wow. Musically, I just love this. I liked how you built around the initial guitar riff. The key change there at the end was magical. Thanks for this. I have had a crap week and it's nice to be reminded that love can be unconditional.
Posted By: summeoyo Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/25/19 12:34 AM
I read Neil's post before I listened - and I heard Mamas & Papas too. Could be the power of suggestion - but the description fits.
Posted By: Iggy Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/25/19 04:50 PM
Wendy: Thanks for the listen and the comments. The word love is tossed around so much these days without people realizing it's true meaning. Thanks for understanding unconditional love.

Summeoyo: Thanks for the comments. I see you're in Harrisburg so stop into one of our gigs. We play all over the place.
Posted By: Travis david Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/25/19 07:26 PM
Good song fine lyric how about posting them at the top of your link?
Good comments here well deserved. As a dad fine sentiments Iggy
Travis
Posted By: beechnut79 Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/25/19 07:57 PM
Very beautiful song here. Brought back memories of the Conway Twitty hit "That's My Job" which had pretty much the same theme. Good luck.
Posted By: Iggy Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/25/19 09:57 PM
Hi Travis, Thanks for listening and commenting. Lyrics have now been posted. Thanks.

Beech....Thanks. I'll check out that Conway Twitty song.
Posted By: summeoyo Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/26/19 12:28 AM
Hey Iggy. Have you ever played at the Open Mic at Tellus360? I perform mostly at venues in the Harrisburg area but I've been know to drop in on an Open Mic out of my area.

Summeoyo
Posted By: Iggy Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/26/19 04:20 AM
Hey Summeoyo: I rarely take part in open mics. The band keeps me busy and when we're not playing we practice, usually twice a week. One is a full band practice,the other is a vocal only practice. Usually we go to open mics when we lose a lead singer.

If you decide to to go to Tellus, let me know and I'll try to see ya. We've taken a few weeks off from gigs to learn a few more songs. Our next gig is in York the first week of April.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/28/19 03:52 AM
Iggy,

Nice sound right out of the gate, and the vocal engages the ear right off. I really like the harmonies in the chorus, and the additional instrumentation in that second chorus, which adds a nice layer of depth . . . and that flute (I think), sweet. The bridge is killer, lyrically and musically.

If I had a nit, it’s the last chorus . . . I’m not sure, but it just doesn’t hit my ear as pleasantly as the first two—almost as if the harmonies are either a bit off or a bit dark—where I would as a listener, given the subject matter of the song, really want it to be a bit brighter. and “feel good." I’m not sure I’m describing my thought in a way that makes sense, but either way, as they say, use or lose—just offering up what I hope might be helpful feedback.

Regardless, this is a solid effort, with a sweet sentiment, and I enjoyed listening to it. There’s a lot of talent behind this.

My best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Iggy Re: That's What Dads Do - 02/28/19 01:13 PM
Thanks DJ. I appreciate the listen and the detailed feedback. I Didn’t use any auto tune or vocal processors so I could be off in the last verse especially as the pitch changed. I’ll listen a few more times. I like your thoughts on making it being brighter and “feel good”. I’ll have to think more on how to make that happen. Again thanks.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards