JPF Home Page
Posted By: kevinism Working from Memory - 02/06/18 12:07 PM
Working from Memory

Just recently finished this one and would love some feedback ...

https://www.reverbnation.com/kevinism/song/29034846-working-from-memory

Working from Memory

On the day we met
(It was cold and wet)
But you were dressed to kill
I wore my overcoat with leather on the sleeves
I think I have it still
It was kind-of a lucky charm
I'm sure I have it still

Chorus

Who knows?
I may have some details wrong
I'm working from memory

Just a trace of a smile
(Did I see you smile?)
It gave me such a thrill
When you said my name and asked me
I can hear you still
"Will you buy me a drink?
And maybe later you can walk me home"

Chorus

Let me hold your hand
Help you through this pain
I am by your side forever
We can go there again

It was long ago
(It was long ago)
You were beautiful then
You are beautiful now as you lie there
In this bed
I have loved you forever
And I love you still

Chorus
Posted By: Neil Cotton Re: Working from Memory - 02/06/18 01:23 PM
interesting reflection on a love.

You are beautiful now as you lie there (or here)
In this bed
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Working from Memory - 02/06/18 02:00 PM
Hi Kevin:

First things first: Welcome to JPF. I hope you've found a home at "Brian's Place." In looking at your photo on your "Reverb-page" has anyone ever commented on your resemblance to "Sting?"
Not that it matters, our new friend... but there is a faint look there. They "paid me off," too! Not because I knew any secrets... my songs were scaring the old ladies and children... LOL!

Enjoyed listening to your first song-post here. You definitely sound a bit Irish... and that is a good thing. Well written, well produced and easy on the ears. Thanks for sharing and I'll be looking out for more of your work. ----Dave
Posted By: Calvin Re: Working from Memory - 02/06/18 02:58 PM
Hello Kevin,

Nice job.
Thank for sharing what you do.

Calvin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos Re: Working from Memory - 02/06/18 07:22 PM
Kevin, I really like the concept of this song, getting older and having the same soulmate for so long, like when, sometimes, the stories we tell each other give us pause as to who said what or even who did what...was that you or me that happened to? At least that's been my own experience. smile What I'm not sure about is the end. That final verse followed by the chorus doesn't fit together like the other ones. The last verse almost feels like a bridge, because it tells us where this relationship and all these memories have led them. Maybe that last verse could be something more similar to the other verses, some other memory that he may or may not have gotten right? Anyway, if this is a first draft, it's really good in concept, just needs a little more thought to the ending. Just my opinion, of course.

Ricki
Posted By: Rob B. Re: Working from Memory - 02/06/18 08:04 PM
Hey Kevin,
your voice reminds me David Bowie. Awesome. And the song also has a Bowie feel to it. I like it.

All the best
Robert
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Working from Memory - 02/07/18 05:46 AM
Kevin,

This has an 80’s type vibe to it, that really invokes some memories for those of us who grew up then. It starts off reminding me of Mike and the Mechanics (or along that type), but then that Bowie feel kicks in. Really cool tune.

Regards,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Working from Memory - 02/07/18 02:02 PM
Kevin,

A very nice sound to this. And a nice write. Enjoyed the listen. Your vocals are engaging.

fj
Posted By: kevinism Re: Working from Memory - 02/09/18 11:07 AM
Many thanks for the feedback and comments, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Ricki E. Bellos
Kevin, I really like the concept of this song, getting older and having the same soulmate for so long, like when, sometimes, the stories we tell each other give us pause as to who said what or even who did what...was that you or me that happened to? At least that's been my own experience. smile What I'm not sure about is the end. That final verse followed by the chorus doesn't fit together like the other ones. The last verse almost feels like a bridge, because it tells us where this relationship and all these memories have led them. Maybe that last verse could be something more similar to the other verses, some other memory that he may or may not have gotten right? Anyway, if this is a first draft, it's really good in concept, just needs a little more thought to the ending. Just my opinion, of course.

Ricki

Rick, thanks for the comments. What I am trying to express in this song is a story about someone who's aging partner is now very ill ( possibly dying). He is at her bedside, remembering how they met and fell in love. He knows he is probably looking back through rose-tinted glasses ( he may have some details wrong) but nevertheless is expressing his eternal love for her.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Working from Memory - 02/09/18 02:00 PM

Well Kevinism,

I am going to start off by saying this is a great song construction-wise, right off the bat, with an incredibly powerful hook and title. It is totally and completely Peter Gabriel is what it is. And I say that with the highest compliment. I can't think of too much I would change in the bed.

As for the vocals, they are totally fine the way they are, but the song is so good you may want to experiment with different approaches and takes on the vocals and just have fun with it and see what happens. There MAY be a different vocal take that would give more goosebumps, don't know for sure, but I suspect there is. The song is worth it. If I were doing this song, I would listen to Peter Gabriel for like four hours and then try and tap into that crazy place of passion he goes to in his vocals, throwing all caution to the wind. That is, I would urge you to experiment with alternate vocal takes because the set up for this song is crazy good.

Also, if you really want to push this over the edge, add a little inverse plate reverb to those drums and you will be off to the races man.

smile

I love this. Just a few productions ideas. Keep up the great work.
Posted By: Nelson Re: Working from Memory - 02/10/18 04:11 PM
The over all production has a great feel to it.
Especially liked your vocal performance.

I may have some details wrong
I'm working from memory...... Very Cool tag
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: Working from Memory - 02/10/18 07:26 PM
Really cool one,Kevin.The story keeps me wanting to hear what's next and of course the bits and pieces of the thin white duke are traceable [i hope you don't get tired of hearing that,it's a good thing]. Mike
Posted By: kevinism Re: Working from Memory - 02/12/18 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by David Snyder

Well Kevinism,

I am going to start off by saying this is a great song construction-wise, right off the bat, with an incredibly powerful hook and title. It is totally and completely Peter Gabriel is what it is. And I say that with the highest compliment. I can't think of too much I would change in the bed.

As for the vocals, they are totally fine the way they are, but the song is so good you may want to experiment with different approaches and takes on the vocals and just have fun with it and see what happens. There MAY be a different vocal take that would give more goosebumps, don't know for sure, but I suspect there is. The song is worth it. If I were doing this song, I would listen to Peter Gabriel for like four hours and then try and tap into that crazy place of passion he goes to in his vocals, throwing all caution to the wind. That is, I would urge you to experiment with alternate vocal takes because the set up for this song is crazy good.

Also, if you really want to push this over the edge, add a little inverse plate reverb to those drums and you will be off to the races man.

smile

I love this. Just a few productions ideas. Keep up the great work.

David, some good ideas there ... I am a big Peter Gabriel fan so will take that as a big thumbs sup! I will play around with the vocals and the drums, thanks Kevin
Posted By: Travis david Re: Working from Memory - 02/12/18 12:40 PM
Hi Kevin
Really liked the lyric on this some great lines.
A good performance all round
Cheers
Travia
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards