JPF Home Page
My band is putting together a CD sized group of songs. Here is one of my songs from a few years ago. It is almost finished but I would like your comments on the recording and mix. The song itself is not going to change. Thanks!!

Hi Colin:

I'm writing as I listen. I had a little trouble getting the SoundClick player to keep from dithering before I signed on. It works fine now. The instrumental "lead-in" sounded a little like "Memories" but then the vocals kicked in.

I like the recording and mix. Both sound good and the song works quite well. No nits here. Good luck with the song.

Dave
I like this song Colin. Mix sounds fine. Fantastic vocals.

Rick
Hi Colin.
Personally, I would take the hi hat down a little for a start.
Other than that I think the mix is about right.
Vic
Thanks everyone. Yes, Vic, I agree and will turn it down.
I turned the hi-hat down a bit.

Colin
Hi Colin,

Neat song with lots of cool layers of meaning!
I can't decide if it's ponderings infused with food and drink or food and drink infused with ponderings!

Lisa
Thanks Lisa,

I had never thought of it as ponderings, merely observations, but Italy is infused with food and drink!
Is there too much bass?
Colin,

Cool song mate! I like the bass. I think the vocal's reverb is just a "hair" too wet--would back off the reverb a bit & dampen slightly for giving the vocals a little more warmth and independent presence with this song. If mastering this, I might pull a tad out of the "high mid area over-all a tad." Nice song and nice job all round however! I like the duet.

steady-eddie.
Eddie, I took your advice and backed it off a bit. See what you think now.......Thanks

Hi again, Colin:

I enjoyed this version even more. It almost has a "spaghetti western" feel to it... and I like it. Yeah, Cappuccino is nice in the morning. The vocals are right as well as the harmonies.
As always, best wishes for success with this song.

Dave
Colin,

The vocals are sitting much better now, and warmer. Very nice.

steady-eddie.
I guess this is a brand new recording -- or did you use the older backing track and just re-do the voices?

Sounds like a mighty fine tune for your current band. The female vocal adds a lot of variety. Nice guitar work in there.

Thanks Kevin. This is a new recording with the band members playing keys, bass and drums.
Polished this a bit more with a third harmony vocal from our keyboard player and some mix tweaking.....
Overall, this sounds really good. My only tiny nit would be that when your female vocalist sings a verse, it really stands out to me. I don't know that it's a technical thing, just that the feeling of her voice is really different than the male ones and I wonder if it wouldn't sound smoother to keep it all the same male vocal with hers just for harmony? Just a thought.

Ricki
Ricki,

Thanks for that feedback. An earlier version of the song was by the one male singer (me). This is by the band in which we share vocals (only a couple of duets though).

We are trying to promote the band and show off her voice a bit with this one. I might have her vocal a bit too loud - she definitely cuts through more.
I like how you embed the links! I need to figure that out.

Cool song. Vocals could come up ever so slightly (maybe just yours) I think but could be my headphones too. Tight guitar work. Like the duet for sure.

Nice work Colin. Very good.

Ricky
Thanks Ricky. I have tweaked some more and gone to press so it is what it is.....
Colin,

Reading through the thread, I see that you have put this one to bed... which you definitely should... The mix is excellent. Everything sits where it should - the guitars sound great - the vocals are crisp and clear...

An enjoyable listen.

floyd
Floyd,

Thanks for that. The song is on the new band EP and we sold a few yesterday for the first time!
Hey there Colin,

I don't claim to be an expert on mixing etc, but it sure sounded good to my ears. Thanks for sharing and good luck with it!

Beth
Hi Colin,

I had another listen with the changes ... I said the song was neat the first time around and now...it's neat-ER! I really like how the song sort of plays mind games with the listener!

Lisa
Sounds great on my KRK's. IMO
everything is sittin' where it oughta.

Enjoyed it.

Bud
It certainly has improved.
Good job.
Vic
Thanks everyone. I now have a box of CDs....EPs actually, since there are only 5 songs.

You can check it out here..... https://theroseislandband.bandcamp.com/album/different-shades
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards