JPF Home Page
Posted By: Kevin YSC You Never Heard A Word - 09/26/14 02:24 PM
I think we all know people like this .... would welcome feedback ...

http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist/view_playlist/3504765?page_object=artist_3147401

You Never Heard A Word

You're so obsessed with how you look
To people that don't care
So many clothes that cost the earth
That you don't even wear

Chorus:

How does it make you feel?
Are you happy in your little world?
I tried to ask you once
I tried to ask but you never heard a word

You're so obsessed with how things look
To people that don't care
You've thrown away so many things
That others would die for

Chorus

You've so obsessed with how we look
Well I don't even care
Let's throw away this thin veneer
There's really nothing there

Chorus
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: You Never Heard A Word - 09/26/14 04:05 PM
hey Kevin,a cool number here.I like it.Mike
Posted By: floyd jane Re: You Never Heard A Word - 09/26/14 11:02 PM
Kevin,

You've got a lot of good things going on there... the vocal treatment is interesting - the vocal could come up a bit.

The clean guitars don't seem to fit (to me) - later in the song, you bring in some processed guitars which sound a lot more like "part of the production". I would suggest you use that sound throughout.

floyd
Posted By: Janice_and_Bud Re: You Never Heard A Word - 09/26/14 11:33 PM
Very interesting and enjoyable. I also wanted to hear the vocal up a bit. The vocal and lyric is standout IMO.

And, yes, scratch through that veneer and you typically find nothing.
Posted By: BonzaiWag Re: You Never Heard A Word - 09/26/14 11:40 PM
Hey, Kevin...

"You're so obsessed with how you look to people that don't care." Love that line and yes I know someone like that. The chorus did set up the verses better. I also thought the two "lead" guitars could have been performed "double" lead instead of two single and different leads. I liked it though and keep up the good work. Had a touch of Bowie in the vocals. Nice.
Posted By: Kevin YSC Re: You Never Heard A Word - 10/01/14 01:39 PM
Many thanks for the feedback and I agree the vocals could be louder/clearer (ironic, given the song title smile )
Posted By: Bobby Wayne Re: You Never Heard A Word - 10/02/14 06:17 AM
I really liked the subject matter of this song and I can easily think of several people I know who this song could be about. What I liked most about this song was the progression of the first line "You're so obsessed with how your look" to "how things look" to "how we look." That worked really well for me. Nicely done.
Posted By: Colin Ward Re: You Never Heard A Word - 10/02/14 03:32 PM
Interesting lyric! People like that are dressing to impress other people like that. I often chuckle at people who spend a ton on the wrong things and ignore the problem that needs work.

The recording sounds a bit over processed to me. Not sure what you have done to the vocal but the doubling or delay muffles the lyrics and sounds distracting IMHO.

I like the arrangement and melody overall.

Good job.
Posted By: Kevin YSC Re: You Never Heard A Word - 10/09/14 09:50 AM
Thanks for picking up on that detail, I am very happy with it and glad you took the time to notice it, much appreciated!
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards