JPF Home Page
Posted By: Kevin Miller I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 09/30/11 05:36 PM
Well I've been trying to tweak my new studio area for a while. It's still too lively, so I'll need to fix. These tracks have the EQ warmed up quite a bit, compared to any of my other tracks. I sort of like it for the time being. I didn't write this song, but I'm asking for production advice. This track has no edits, other than mixing and mastering from the recorder. My room is 10 x 12 with painted sheetrock on the walls and ceiling. Three small windows. Carpet on the floor. No money in the budget. So I tweaked the EQ, hoping that would help...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11093831

Please forgive all the noodling. I got carried away!

Best wishes,

Kevin

Posted By: Colin Ward Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 09/30/11 06:06 PM
It sounds pretty good but a bit dead from a mixing standpoint. This is what I hear....

The mandolin sound nice as is but I would separate it more in the stereo field (pan it left) and maybe cut the lows a bit.

The vocal sounds good but lacks a bit of sparkle in the high end. It also could be a little louder in the mix.

The bass could be more prominent but I would EQ the vocal frequencies down and bump the bass frequencies around 50 - 150.

The guitar is not bad but is a bit muddy. Bring it forward for the solo with more volume. EQ the lows down a bit and the highs up.

I know bluegrassers like to stand around one mic (!) but I would take advantage of the stereo field and spread the instruments out a bit so each one stands out. Make the solos and fills soar and lower the strumming a bit to keep it from being muddy.

Hope that helps. Most of the changes I mentioned would be subtle.
Posted By: Kevin Miller Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 09/30/11 06:27 PM
Wow, thanks a lot Colin. The setup I have is pretty basic. I boosted the mids and lows, but it sounds like I may need to balance it out a little. I'm just learning how to use the EQ, so your suggestions are a great help.

I'll try your tips next time out. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Two Singers Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 09/30/11 07:39 PM
Hey Kevin...

Pretty cool tune and presentation. I always enjoy listening to you...and I'm not a real big Bluegrass fan. Heck, you might convert me before it's all over!

I'd back of the low end on the mandolin and slightly punch the highs on it. I agree with a previous comment about more stereo separation....it would really make the instruments sparkle!!

Super song and sing...loved it!

Al
Posted By: Kevin Miller Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 09/30/11 08:34 PM
Great, Al. I'm gonna try. I had the left and right panned about 1/4. But I did the same thing with vocals. I'll study mixing and maybe try again soon.
Posted By: ben willis Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 09/30/11 10:39 PM
Hey Kevin, I can't give any technical advice because it sounded good to me.

I love this old bluesy gospel song and even considered recording it myself. I still may do it someday. I first heard the Clarence and Roland White version years ago when I began learning bluegrass and have loved the song ever since. You did the song justice. I really enjoyed it.
Posted By: Scott Campbell Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/01/11 03:50 AM
If something is pretty far off, I might be able to offer suggestions. But not when it's this close - my ears aren't good enough smile

Colin jumped in though - I suspect he is right when he says most changes would be subtle.

That's a very cool performance, Kevin - diggin' it here. smile

Scott
Posted By: Kevin Miller Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/01/11 09:36 PM
Thanks, Ben. I heard the Grisman and Rice version, which is great. Then you got me lookin' at Clarence and Roland. Dang, man. Clarence does some crazy guitar riffs. I love it!
Posted By: Kevin Miller Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/01/11 09:37 PM
Thanks a lot Scott. Yep, Colin made some very helpful suggestions, because like you say, my ears aren't that good either. Thanks for your encouragement.
Posted By: Little_stevie_b Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/02/11 12:17 AM
I hear you concerning the budget and make shift studio Kevin. I share the same limitations. Sounds good and Colin pretty much covered it as far as production is concerned.

Stevie
Posted By: Wendy D Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/02/11 03:48 AM
I can't offer any help with the mix but wanted to say I listened and enjoyed this. I've always liked this tune. The only thing that I'm missing is the harmonies..
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/02/11 06:29 AM
hey Kevin,this sounds good to me.You'll get your home studio down in time.Good luck with your music!
Posted By: Kevin Miller Re: I Am A Pilgrim w/noodles - 10/04/11 04:46 AM
Well, Little Stevie, money sure can stand in the way of progress. I finally purchased a bunch of cheap moving blankets and hung them on the walls. So far I think it's a huge improvement. I'll record a song soon & post it so you can see how it turned out. Spent only 70 bucks on the blankets, so not a huge loss if it doesn't work out. But seems great, just jamming in there now.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards