JPF Home Page
Posted By: buddyivory Removing a drum track - 03/31/20 09:40 PM
I have a song I want to remove a drum track and use another drummer. Anyone know how to do this?
Posted By: Fdemetrio Re: Removing a drum track - 03/31/20 10:46 PM
The only way you could do it is if you have the recording tracks. I assume you don't and that's why you ask.

If you only have the finished master, there's no way to remove the drums.

Wow that's a good idea if it was possible, id love to rework old band recordings
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Removing a drum track - 04/05/20 11:32 PM
Just start over. I've tried in the past to "doctor" some bad mic captures on decent tracks--but have found you're better just to start over. If you do your own recording & tracking however, you can delete tracks/add new tracks to older mixes--I've done that. That is one of the reasons a few year's back I wanted my own home studio so I could experiment and make changes--too expensive to do that on someone's time clock.

steady-eddie
Posted By: Sunset Poet Re: Removing a drum track - 04/06/20 01:58 PM
There is no DAW that I know of that can remove specific sounds from a single recording and then replace them with something else and also fill vacated gaps back in seamlessly.
Maybe some day.

Needs a redo.
Posted By: Mark Kaufman Re: Removing a drum track - 04/06/20 05:36 PM
The truth is, any major DAW can remove drums. It takes some knowledge of basic sound engineering principles, and a little practice, but it really isn't that difficult to do if you're determined:

https://www.audiomentor.com/audioproduction/how-to-extract-drums-from-a-song
Posted By: Fdemetrio Re: Removing a drum track - 04/06/20 07:01 PM
The references I've seen are about frequency removals, I can't see if you wanted to use the rest of the mix in a recording how it would work.

They talk about for practicing over, not for recording a new drum track into old song and not having any mixing problems.

But maybe it's possible, could be worth a look.
Posted By: Sunset Poet Re: Removing a drum track - 04/06/20 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman
The truth is, any major DAW can remove drums. It takes some knowledge of basic sound engineering principles, and a little practice, but it really isn't that difficult to do if you're determined:

https://www.audiomentor.com/audioproduction/how-to-extract-drums-from-a-song

If you can take the drums out of a single musical track and replace them with other drums and smooth out all of the gaps and displacements...you are a lot better than me.
Posted By: Fdemetrio Re: Removing a drum track - 06/28/21 10:15 PM
Buddy, you might now be in luck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PGnNIbH0zk
Posted By: JAPOV Re: Removing a drum track - 06/28/21 10:40 PM
If the drums in the original mix aren't loud enough then you CAN play over them, combined with a little frequency reduction. However, if you want to completely change the drums... start over.
Posted By: Sunset Poet Re: Removing a drum track - 06/29/21 01:39 AM
This guy is saying that a cell phone app is capable of removing drums and vocals from a mix.
I'd have to do it myself to believe it.
Posted By: Fdemetrio Re: Removing a drum track - 06/29/21 01:55 AM
The only comparison i can make are those chord determiner apps. Some do exactly what they say...play the song and it will write the chords being played. Some stink. Some do half the job but not all of it, like it may tell you the root...

It came up in my feed so i remembered this thread. I cant see how it would work with analog recordings, but maybe there is a digital way to isolate instruments. And it may even work with analog.

It's hard to believe that in this day and age, and with videos all over the place, that we cant know for sure if they work. SOMEBODY has to know if it works.
Posted By: Sunset Poet Re: Removing a drum track - 06/29/21 02:55 AM
The guy in the video is talking about a single signal being fed into a cell phone app.
Isolating just the timbre and frequency of drum hits and taking them seamlessly out of a single signal sounds unlikely with a phone app.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards