https://soundcloud.com/steady-eddie/daddys-girl-w-carlee-added?

(10/10/24 UPDATE) -- I posted this song 10 years ago here. It was a song that I wrote just goofing around and thinking about a "stage production" song. I'm digging deep into the JPF achives here, but thought it might be fun to bring this back as well as see some of the old comments etc. On the earliest post, I sang both parts which is why some of the comments joked about that before I had recorded my daughter singing the girl's part). My daughter is now 24 years of age who did kind of inspire this song as she becoming a young teen at that time and I knew what was coming--yikes!

UPDATE: 10/21/13 I FINALLY GOT MY DAUGHTER, CARLEE, TO "SING." SHE WAS APPREHENSIVE, AS THIS WAS HER FIRST TIME BEHIND A MICROPHONE SERIOUSLY. CARLEE IS 14 YEARS OF AGE, AND HER VOICE MIGHT SOUNG A BIT TOO YOUNG FOR THIS CHARACTER--BUT I'M PROUD OF HER AND THINK SHE DID A NICE JOB. I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE HER INSERT A BIT MORE CHARACTER EMOTION PERHAPS SINCE THIS IS REALLY A "STAGE" TYPE NUMBER. I MAY HAVE HER RECORD THIS NEXT YEAR, JUST TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN HER VOCAL GROWTH, BUT WILL ALLWAYS TREASURE HER FIRST RECORDING!

This is a "fun" song that I wrote mimicking the late 50's/ early/ 60's music and "time era" with the song idea written for a "Father/Daughter scenario" about a young girl's first date. Of course the Father is apprehensive about seeing his daughter enter the "world of romance" and the potential heartaches, and is ambivalent.

Daddy's Girl

DAD:

Sweetheart I, love you more than I can say, you know
I'm only asking for you to take things slow-o-ow
Young love is fragile this I know

GIRL:

Daddy dear, I know you mean well, but, he's so sincere
He'll never leave me in a thousand years
I can see it in his eyes

DAD:

Believe me girl, I'm not try'n to rain on your parade
I guess you could say that I am afraid
I know how broken hearts are made

GIRL:

Daddy dear, I'll be sixteen in a week or two
Can't you see that I'm a woman too?
Won't you look into my eyes?

DAD:

Darling girl, when I look into your eyes I see
You're Mother when she was about twenty
That's why I know he'll wait for you

GIRL:

Daddy please, I can't think of anything, but him
Won't you reconsider, let him in
You know he is a lot like you

(Bridge) It seems like yesterday, in the leaves we played
Birthday parties and roller skates, now you tell me
That you want to date!

(Saxophone solo)

(Repeat 1st vs). (Dad & Girl parts "both" together)

Dad-Girl: (Conversation ending song)