en What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
Page 4 of 4
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
1 2 3 4
#848563 - 10/04/10 11:59 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: BIG JIM MERRILEES]  
Roy Cooper Offline
Roy Cooper  Offline

Top 100 Poster

[quote=BIG JIM MERRILEESand
it is always the bimbo who cannot sing who gets all the credit and revenue when in fact it is the musicians and studio engineers who turned her crappy ditty into a hit song. [/quote]

Funny you should say that Big Jim.

A very good female singer friend of mine was a a top studio in London recording the vocals for a soap stars first release.

During a break, the soap star turned up and said, 'Hi, my name is ???????, have you heard my new song'.

Yes said my friend, 'I'm the one singing it'.

Talking about an embarissing mnoment for the star.

The release was a flop...

God Bless Roy and Helen

'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Our Record Label
#848887 - 10/06/10 06:55 AM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Polly Hager]  
Cheyenne Offline
Serious Contributor
Cheyenne  Offline
Serious Contributor

Florida U.S.A.
The best lyric in the world will never be heard unless its married to the right music.

Trouble is here many so called lyric writers, can not change what they have, to suit the music that evolves during a collaboration.

Most lyric writers dont write with a musical composers knowledge
thats why it's important to study music, and to study why those songs in the charts work.

Maybe you know all this? but many do not, I think you have had some great responses to your original question, but not sure why
the thread is still going on.

One of the most important principles of songwriting is to remember that a good song is a partnership of many different components, all working together to produce a satisfying musical experience.

In that respect, song components are either enhancing or compromising their combined effects.
#848897 - 10/06/10 08:38 AM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Cheyenne]  
Kevin Edward Rose Offline
Top 200 Poster
Kevin Edward Rose  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Richmond, IN U.S.A.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
... but not sure why
the thread is still going on.

Actually, Cheyenne, the thread ended after Roy's most recent post, but we forgot to tell you. Now the thread will have to end with your post as long as no one else..... DOH!

Kevin Edward Rose
Celtic, Americana, whatever the folk.
Hailed by Performing Songwriter magazine as a "valued subscriber".
More music sold than Elvis and the Beatles combined!*
http://www.KevinEdwardRose.com
http://www.youtube.com/KevinEdwardRose
#848906 - 10/06/10 10:37 AM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Kevin Edward Rose]  
Steve Cooke Offline
Serious Contributor
Steve Cooke  Offline
Serious Contributor

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Last ... word.

Steve Cooke
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
http://wwww.soundcloud.com/stevecooke
#848907 - 10/06/10 10:47 AM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Steve Cooke]  
Roy Cooper Offline
Roy Cooper  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Sorry Steve...

'You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs To Find A Prince'

Our Record Label
#848974 - 10/06/10 04:30 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Roy Cooper]  
Mark Kaufman Offline
Mark Kaufman  Offline

Top 40 Poster

Minneapolis
It goes on because it's a fascinating, many-faceted subject, one that goes right to the heart of why a lot of us are here.

#848990 - 10/06/10 05:14 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Mark Kaufman]  
Bill Robinson Offline
Bill Robinson  Offline

Top 30 Poster

Curmudgeonville, Tn
Bump smile

Bill
http://www.soundclick.com/billrobinson
http://www.dreamqueststudio.com
Skype; bill.robinson12

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." --Thomas Jefferson didn't say it

http://voidnow.org/
http://www.americansworking.com/
#849392 - 10/08/10 05:06 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Bill Robinson]  
Z. Mulls Offline
Serious Contributor
Z. Mulls  Offline
Serious Contributor

Wow. I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one, aren't I? I'm one of those lyricists who struggles with the fact that the melody/words split is 50/50, but the "musicating" is a lot of frustrating work.

I'm certainly with everyone up to the point where a demo work-for-hire (we'll arrange this song for you for $150) is different from a co-write (you want a melody? We're 50/50 on the song).

Gets tricky there. The musician now owns half of the song and has an interest in getting it right. And hiring other musicians and vocalists sure costs money.

So, says the lyricist, I'm cool with splitting the costs of anyone you have to hire. But, he continues, I'm uncomfortable paying you for working on your (our) song in your (our) studio.

I get what Polly is saying -- what does the musician half get for all that work except frustration? But is it fair for one partner to charge another for labor he is doing on their joint composition?

There are a few ways to split this baby. One is to have an agreement that the musician half will do the work but if the song makes any money at all, the first $XXX will go to the musician off the top for the studio work (and they will split any external costs). Another is instead of taking a co-write to charge an extra $100 for melody (which is probably more than you'd see from the song anyway).

Gets trickier if the produced track is to be used for anything other than a demo. If it's to be pitched for film or TV, who owns the master recording? Seems to me that the studio would expect to participate in profits of a "real track."

It's a sticky wicket, no doubt about it.

As for the age-old question of whether lyrics or music is more important, the answer is always "it depends." Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. And Marc quotes the general truth that the music pulls them in but the lyric gets them to stay. So while sometimes one is more important than the other, 50/50 (or equal shares) is usually easiest.

I recently wrote a song with two composers. I started with one, and he pulled in a friend to help write and produce the track. They said I should get 50% because I came in with the lyric, and I thought it should be more equal (funny, the positions seem reversed, don't they?) We agreed on a 40/30/30 split, recognizing the strength of the lyric, but giving the 2-person music work more than half.

ZMULLS.COM
My Soundclick

2007 Grand Prize Winner International Songwriting Competition

Avatar Photo by Diana (used with permission)
#849398 - 10/08/10 06:00 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Z. Mulls]  
Steve Cooke Offline
Serious Contributor
Steve Cooke  Offline
Serious Contributor

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Not a question of the lyric/music split, I know, but it can cost different types of musicians rather different amounts of money to be in the same band.

I'll bet that a few people here have experience of dealing with singers in bands who don't consider buying the gear needed to amplify or record their voice (microphones, cabling, etc) to be something they ought to contribute towards. As if these are facilities that simply have to provided for them by others.

And often they'll excuse themselves from helping to shift equipment to and from a gig too.

Steve Cooke
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
http://wwww.soundcloud.com/stevecooke
#849400 - 10/08/10 06:18 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Steve Cooke]  
Mark Kaufman Offline
Mark Kaufman  Offline

Top 40 Poster

Minneapolis
Anything goes. We make mutual decisions, deals, agreements...and they don't all have to be the same.

I think it's perfectly fair to charge for the service of recording a song you will also have a cowrite on (although I wouldn't do that). Others will completely disagree with me and call it unfair. We are both right.

You make agreements, or you pass. But either agreement is fair.

#849403 - 10/08/10 06:57 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Mark Kaufman]  
Kevin Emmrich Offline
Kevin Emmrich  Offline

Top 10 Poster

Crozet, VA
I don't think musicians should get any writing credit -- what they do is just like fun stuff. The pleasure of working on my lyrics should be enough for them.

Kevin

"Good science comes in peer reviewed journals. Conspiracy theories come in YouTube videos. "
Kevin @ bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh (and Kevin @50/90 2019)
#849409 - 10/08/10 07:32 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Steve Cooke]  
Stephen Brooke Offline
Serious Contributor
Stephen Brooke  Offline
Serious Contributor

Graceville FL
Originally Posted by Steve Cooke

And often they'll excuse themselves from helping to shift equipment to and from a gig too.

Hey, it's not my fault I have a bad back! wink

#849416 - 10/08/10 07:44 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Stephen Brooke]  
Wyndham Offline
Serious Contributor
Wyndham  Offline
Serious Contributor

Seagrove NC
I'll add another dimension to the whole discussion, maybe these issues are why engineers that mix and master, just do the best they can, get paid and go to bed happy for a good days pay.
If anyone wants to read a tutorial on sound mixing, there's a great one at:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283
I've only gotten 3 pages in but what an eye opener. Very technical but worth the read.
Wyndham

#849620 - 10/09/10 10:01 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Wyndham]  
Ott Lukk (D) Offline
Serious Contributor
Ott Lukk (D)  Offline
Serious Contributor

Minneapolis
Kevin:
I thought that pretty funny.
Ott

#852322 - 10/21/10 07:02 PM Re: What is the reality behind selling lyrics in Nashville? [Re: Ott Lukk (D)]  
Sam Wilson Offline
Top 200 Poster
Sam Wilson  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Nashville, TN USA
Were I to "sell" a lyric, that by chance evolved into a demo, I would insist that all involved be treated fairly.

However, if someone who has no part in it made me feel like they couldn't be trusted, or wouldn't handle things equally, then I would pull my work out of the arrangement......and all involved would be at their own discretion to do what they wanted to do with their contributions.

Anyone else here would do the same. Every participant deserves full credit and all due monetary rewards for having worked on the song.

Now, having said that, I would like to see the initial point of this whole discussion become real. Uhhh, that is, if possible....?

Co-Write Friendly.....Look at my blog on My Space.

http://www.cherokee46x@yahoo.com
http://www.myspace.com/ronnievanzantfan
http://www.facebook.com/sambwilson

Ronnie Van Zant fan
Page 4 of 4
1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Austin Whitney, E Swartz, Gary E. Andrews, John Lawrence Schick, Kevin Emmrich, niteshift 
Print Thread Switch to Threaded Mode /forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F849398%2Fre-what-is-the-reality-behind-selling-lyrics-in-nashville.html