en PRS registration - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
Page 2 of 2
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
1 2
#751664 - 09/13/09 09:15 AM Re: PRS registration - how to switch from one PRS to another? [Re: India Taylor]  
Richie Offline
Casual Observer
Richie  Offline
Casual Observer

Hi Nadia,

I'm a professional media composer in the UK, so joining the PRS is essential for me. They are a non profit organization and they aren't going to rip you off. I don't know any UK composer who's NOT a member of the PRS.

When you sign up to the PRS you get the option of choosing either ASCAP or BMI to collect your royalties in the US.

They need proof of identity as a security measure obviously - just send it registered post.

Statements are quarterly and your royalties get paid directly into your account. This is just how it works... No security risk from Nigerian Princes, terrorists or scammers smile

Obviously there's no point signing up if you don't have any performance royalties to collect - plus you have to have had songs/works broadcast in order to sign up.

That's it really!

Best of luck
Rich

#751676 - 09/13/09 10:56 AM Re: PRS registration - how to switch from one PRS to another? [Re: Richie]  
Nadia Offline
Top 500 Poster
Nadia  Offline
Top 500 Poster

UK
Hi Richie, nice to meet you. Welcome to JPF. Thank you so much for your advice.
Kind regards and best wishes,
Nadia

Nadia
#753129 - 09/18/09 03:42 PM Re: PRS registration - how to switch from one PRS to another? [Re: India Taylor]  
Marc Barnette Offline
Top 50 Poster
Marc Barnette  Offline
Top 50 Poster

Nashville, Tn.
India,

Songs registered with BMI will stay BMI. Your affiliation as a writer will change on your new stuff. YOu have to submit a formal letter apprising them of your intention to change but you have to wait until your contract date comes up. You should apprise ASCAP of your intention to switch.
I would not get too concerned with them not calling you back though. If you come to ASCAP, SESAC. PRS, etc. and do not have a lot of activity on songs, you are not going to get much attention from anyone. It is unfortunate but true. There are just not the man hours to do it.
With about 3 million writers at any one time, there is no physical way that they can respond to every one. They do try, but unless you make a face to face appointment, it is doubtful you will get much response. If they check your files and there are some significant activity money wise, they will respond to you.

It is one of the misunderstandings that people have about performance rights organizations. They feel that there is a huge universal agency that monitor every song played anywhere. There is no physical way to do that.

They monitor regions of airplay, catalogue airplays on major reporting stations, televisions and movies, and oversee activity on largely played songs.

ASCAP has an "Awards" program, that artists and writers can apply for each year in April and if you have smaller activity, college stations, performances in writer's shows, etc. you can get paid for some of those. Kind of a grant program.

If you can imagine having to go through five thousand e-mails and 300 phone calls a day from people from all over the world wanting to know how to collect money on songs played at a street festival in Bangor Maine, you get a sense of what they go through.

They are there as representatives for writers and do offer workshops, seminars, networking events, as well as lobby and interact with legislative bodies, and all facets of the entertainment industry. But there is only so much any organization can do and not all of us are always going to get the respect or help we feel we deserve.

Continue to try to contact a representative. But until you can really go there, you are going to probably get similar results.

Good luck,

MAB

#753712 - 09/21/09 04:16 AM Re: PRS registration - how to switch from one PRS to another? [Re: Marc Barnette]  
Doug/Liszt Laughing Offline
Top 500 Poster
Doug/Liszt Laughing  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Indiana
Well, I agree with Marc about the need to exercise extreme caution in who you give banking information to. Myself, I would never give my *personal* banking info to a PRO either. Or to PayPal for that matter.

Keeping in mind I am not giving advice here, if it was *me* and I had to give banking info to possibly collect royalties or to use something like PayPal, I would set up a business account seperate from my personal accounts, and at a completely different bank. That would make *me* feel less vulnerable, and for *me* that makes business sense anyway tax wise and for other reasons. And then I'd only use that account for collections; I wouldn't let the money sit in there. Of course, that's not foolproof either; someone with that account number might be able to social engineer other info about you, but *shrug*, that's how I would do it. Of course, what you do is completely up to you, again, I'm not giving advice...

Last edited by Doug/Liszt Laughing; 09/21/09 04:38 AM.

Boo...my name is Doug
#753719 - 09/21/09 05:35 AM Re: PRS registration - how to switch from one PRS to another? [Re: Doug/Liszt Laughing]  
Nadia Offline
Top 500 Poster
Nadia  Offline
Top 500 Poster

UK
Thank you Doug. It's nice to know I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.
Nadia

Nadia
Page 2 of 2
1 2

Moderated by  Brian Austin Whitney, E Swartz, Gary E. Andrews, John Lawrence Schick, Kevin Emmrich, niteshift 
Print Thread Switch to Threaded Mode /forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F753712%2Fre-prs-registration-how-to-switch-from-one-prs-to-another.html