en 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion Here - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#725505 - 05/31/09 11:34 PM 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion Here  
Brian Austin Whitney Offline
Brian Austin Whitney  Offline

Top 10 Poster

Indianapolis, IN USA
Hi Folks,

This is the place to ask any questions about the Best Music Video and Best Live Performance award entry process. Please do NOT post your entry here. It will be deleted. Post it on the appropriately named post below this on the message board.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them below.

Good luck to all entrants.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/justplainfolks

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

"It's easier to be the bigger man when you actually are..."

[Linked Image]
#725709 - 06/01/09 02:47 PM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion Here [Re: Brian Austin Whitney]  
Tania Hayward Offline
Casual Observer
Tania Hayward  Offline
Casual Observer

Hi Brian,
Do the same rules apply for the Live Performance as the Music Video category in terms of length of the video? (less than 7 mins?) Should it be limited to the performance of 1 song?

Thanks,
Tania

P.S. Thanks also for moving forward w/ the lyric awards process.

Tania Hayward

"If it matters, don't even think about wussing out..."
http://www.myspace.com/taniahayward
#725788 - 06/01/09 05:23 PM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion Here [Re: Tania Hayward]  
Heidi Thompson Offline
Serious Contributor
Heidi Thompson  Offline
Serious Contributor

NV
Hey Brian,
There is a bit of confusion when you state that you want to see a LIVE performance by the artist but that the video cannot contain a track. What if the singer is singing LIVE but to a backing track? This still shows the live singing performance. Let me know about that, okay?

Also, let me know if you can use a comedic emcee to be "different characters" to announce any winners or lend some comic relief to your awards. "Cher" could even assist you...

Thanks,
Heidi

"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Paul McCartney
#725810 - 06/01/09 07:03 PM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion Here [Re: Heidi Thompson]  

Top 10 Poster

Indianapolis, IN USA
Heidi,

That's a good point. The idea was that we don't want the entire music track to be recorded akin to a music video. We get a lot of videos sent to us that are promotional that show a live performance in the background, but that use a completely recorded track. We're looking for live performances and though we'd consider someone singing to a recorded background, it's less likely they'd be booked to perform at a live event like our music awards as we don't allow recorded background tracks or lip synching at our awards show.

This is a first time experiment for us. We've always considered people who performed at one of our shows live in the past. But this time around we did too few shows to give many folks a chance to participate so we thought we'd see how many wanted to post a video. If it works, we may expand that next time. Historically it was never really possible for folks to post their live performances on line for everyone to see due to bandwidth and technology. But with YouTube technology has finally arrived on a massive scale so anyone can post and nearly anyone can view it on line. (We started playing with this in 2006 when we first posted the video nominees on line).

So that's the scoop. So far only a couple people have entered, so we'll see where it leads. But sure, we'd consider a live vocal over a track, but it still will be tough going to say a singer songwriter playing piano or guitar and singing live or singing with a full band. We already have 1 live candidate that did, in fact, since in front of tracks. So thanks for making that distinction.

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com

"Don't sit around and wait for success to come to you... it doesn't know the way." -Brian Austin Whitney

[Linked Image]
#725812 - 06/01/09 07:05 PM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion Here [Re: Brian Austin Whitney]  

Top 10 Poster

Indianapolis, IN USA
Tania,

We have different goals in mind for the Live Peformance videos. We really just need to see someone performing live. We may or may not need to watch the whole video and having extra won't affect it because we're just judging what we see long enough to make a determination. We already have video of live performances from Roadtrip events to compare it to. The music videos are different. They are similar to the old MTV (when they used to play videos). 1 song with a video versus a whole concert or album worth.

Thanks for the question,

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com

[Linked Image]
#727078 - 06/06/09 04:04 AM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion H [Re: Brian Austin Whitney]  
Michele Howlett Offline
Top 100 Poster
Michele Howlett  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Hunter Valley NSW Australia
Hi Brian

Well that counts me out, cry I've never sung live, crazy only in front of a small group of people, but one day I hope to do so, hah. grin

Michele

Last edited by Michele Bolton; 06/06/09 04:04 AM.
#727768 - 06/08/09 02:17 AM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion H [Re: Michele Howlett]  
Andy K Offline
Top 500 Poster
Andy K  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Clearwater, FL, USA
I don't remember if I sent a CD with my music video in the past for consideration for the 2009 Video Awards. Is there any problem if I enter the video contest on these boards if you already have an offline hard copy of the video? If I sent you a hard copy offline, I'm sure it didn't have all the credit info you asked in your recent post. Thanks!

https://www.stonemarmot.com
Stone Marmot
Nouveau retro pop-rock music
Whatever happened to the Golden Rule is the subject of our latest song,
“The Golden Rule.” Listen at: https://soundcloud.com/stone-marmot/the-golden-rule
and check out its music video: https://youtu.be/0FKlwhjdENc
#735071 - 07/04/09 08:37 AM Re: 2009 Best Music Video/Live Performance Questions/Discussion H [Re: Andy K]  

Top 10 Poster

Indianapolis, IN USA
We've set the deadline for video entries at July 13th. Then we'll take a week to judge (actually we've already started, but we'll finish after the deadline).

So there's still time to enter the last open categories in this year's awards!

Brian

Brian Austin Whitney
Founder
Just Plain Folks
jpfolkspro@gmail.com

[Linked Image]
/forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F725709%2Fre-2009-best-music-video-live-performance-questions-discussion-here.html