MAS/JPF MFF Stage Info
Minnesota Folk Festival
25 – 26 June 2005

Logistics and information:
The following information is subject to change without notice. It’s as accurate as I can make it as I type.

The songwriter contest will take up the first 4 hours of each day of our stage. The rest of the time is ours. This translates into something like:
Sat 11:30 – 3:30 contest
4:00 – 9:00 us (10 thirty-minute slots)
Sun 11:30 – 3:30 contest
4:00 – 7:00 us (6 thirty-minute slots)

The lead Sound Engineer Schedule:
Sat 11:30 – 5:00 Tom
4:00 – 9:00 Lyra
Sun 11:30 – 3:30 Lyra
3:00 – 7:00 Tom
Sound Gopher Schedule is yet to be established

All performers are required to comply with the expectations of the Minnesota Folk Festival. This includes a requirement that the music be within the folk or contemporary folk genre. All performers are required to be members of either MAS or JPF.

If the contest ends early, Lyra and I will figure something out to fill the time. We will not move time slots up to earlier starts. If the contest goes over, we’ll move all times back, everyone will still get 30 minutes, and we’ll go past 9/7 until everyone is done.

If you are not happy with how you sound, you must tell the sound engineer, Tom or Lyra. This is your responsibility. We’ll do the best we can but there won’t be a chance for a thorough sound check. If you are in the audience and have suggestions about the sound, especially volume, please do bring it to our attention.

All performers must report to the Sound Engineer (Lyra or Tom) between forty and thirty minutes prior to their stage time. If the performer is ten minutes late, the performer will be replaced. So, if Eric Clapton shows up 19 minutes before his slot, he will not be performing. If Eric tries to report at noon for a 4 o’clock time slot, Eric will be required to report again between 3:20 and 3:30.

The time it takes to setup is part of the performers 30 minutes. If it takes ten minutes to setup, the performer will have 20 minutes to perform. Sound Engineers and Sound Gophers will be available to pre-setup the performers during the preceding timeslot. So, if The Hoffinator is on stage, and you follow with a key board, let’s set you up as much as possible during The Hoffinator’s time.

The assignment of slots will take place at the May MAS meeting by a random draw. I will post the assignments on the JPF – Twin Cites Chapter Message Board and will also put out an email to the same distribution list used for this mailing. We are making allowances for some requests such as the guys from South Dakota who want Saturday slots so they can drive home Sunday.

If for some reason the performer is unable to fulfill their commitment, please call Tom at 612-743-8955 ASAP and follow up with an email. We have a list of alternate performers. So, if DerHarpman is unable to perform, he cannot give his slot to Ted Nugget. He must call Tom so an alternate can be given the slot.

We are still accepting alternate performers. Please email Tom at tom.engelhardt@visi.com if you want to be an alternate.

It is my current understanding that all performers still must purchase admission into the festival.

I hope everyone understands why we’ve taken such hard lines on some issues. We’re putting together posters with names and times and we’ve never done this kind of thing before so we’re trying to get it right the first time. That said, we’ll try to work with anyone as much as possible to address any issues you have. Call Tom (612-743-8955) and follow up with an email. So, if you desperately need to switch time slots, find someone willing and both of you contact me as soon as possible by phone (612-743-8955). You both must talk to me, not my message machine, and follow up with an email. We’ll try to help as much as possible.