en Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument? - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#175261 - 04/26/06 03:34 PM Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
PopTodd Offline
Top 100 Poster
PopTodd  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Western Springs, IL, USA
For instance: Roger McGuinn stated that his guitar playing (particularly on "Eight Miles high") was infludenced by John Coltrane, a sax player.

The drummer in my band(s) claims that Bob Newhart has had just as much influence on his playing as any drummer (his timing). BOB NEWHART!!!

And I know that Peter Hook (bassist for Joy Division/New Order) inspired my guitar playing on more than one occasion... the pulsating, linear melody lines.

Any of you all see the similar-type influences affecting your playing?
Out of your usual realm?

------------------
Hop On Pop, the band

#175262 - 04/27/06 01:11 PM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
kevingermain Offline
Serious Contributor
kevingermain  Offline
Serious Contributor

easthampton MA USA
whoa yeah, thats an easy one!

Since I play guitar I should eliminate all the "other" string players of the world, like the sarod (Ali Akbar Khan), Oud (Udi Hrant) or Turkish Saz (Neset Ertas, Asik Veysel) or sitar, greek bouzouki... ect.

Composers of piano music, particularily 20th Century stuff, Debussy, Schoenberg, Ravel.

Horn players: Ornette Coleman, John Zorn, Don Cherry ~ their approaches to improve really helped me rethink the possibilities on rearranging tunes.

Also, John Cage, a much hated composer, but I find a lot of inspiration in following his methods and lightheartedness about music. I saw a lecture with him once and he said something I will never forget: "Some people take music much too seriously, others not serious enough, and some just right!"

Also, I love beautifully written melodies, and I think Schubert and Hugo Wolf have written some of the most memorable.

I like to think I sublimated all this so that hopefully it comes out unbeknowest to myself or others... or maybe not... [Linked Image]

------------------
Stop by my web page and have a listen! Or join me at my blog for a chat, too.

#175263 - 04/27/06 07:35 PM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
Joe Wrabek (D) Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joe Wrabek (D)  Offline
Top 40 Poster

Garibaldi, OR USA
Oh, sure. Most of my pantheon of heroes are writers who perform(ed) their own material on guitar, but not all. Here's a few oddities:

Bill Monroe--easily the best organized and most professional performer I ever met. Watching him and the Bluegrass Boys on stage is an object lesson in How It's Supposed To Be Done.

Frank Sinatra--not (my opinion) a natural-born singer, but rather somebody who worked very hard at using his voice as an instrument. And while I mostly don't like the kind of stuff he sang, I have picked up things listening to him do it that I've been able to apply to my own limited voice range.

Marcus Tullius Cicero (I took Latin in high school)--one of the best-organized *writers* I have ever read, and a master in the use of words as weapons. It may never have occurred to him that one could apply what he does to country music--but one can.

I'm sure there's more, but I guess those are the main ones.

Joe
www.soundclick.com/bands/7/joewrabek_music.htm

#175264 - 04/27/06 08:26 PM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
TrumanCoyote Offline
Top 100 Poster
TrumanCoyote  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Garth Hudson. His keyboard work may not have influenced my guitar playing as such, but it certainly infuenced me as a musician, writer and arranger. He is one of a kind.

#175265 - 04/28/06 05:59 PM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
richard murrey Offline
Top 500 Poster
richard murrey  Offline
Top 500 Poster

Hollister, Florida
old man witherspoon across the holler. he'd sit out on his "verandah", in his tel city cherry wood rocker, slap back a mason jar of squeeze and commence to blow on his comb and newspaper contraption... made tears come to your eyes... i took up the guitar shortly thereafter.

rock on,
r.

------------------
http://cdbaby.com/all/chevyford

#175266 - 04/29/06 05:16 PM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Morrow, Ohio USA
Slam poets and spoken word artists. have had an influence on how I play and write with the guitar.
L.

#175267 - 05/02/06 05:58 AM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
Mike Caro Substudio Offline
Mike Caro Substudio  Offline

Top 20 Poster

NY
There are people who play No Instrument that influence my playing..

Peace
Sub

Thanks!
Peace Mike
Sub

Music & Video's & Photo's
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=482602

Demo/Production & Music Services
http://www.substudiomusic.com

#175268 - 05/05/06 02:05 AM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
SMDalziel Offline
Casual Observer
SMDalziel  Offline
Casual Observer

Maquoketa, IA US
I would have to say, I was influenced and Mentored by a wonderful Piano player, and jazz singer out of St. Louis. Diana Starr. I personally play guitar and sing... but it all started by wanting to be Diana when I grew up. LOL

------------------
Scott and Michelle Dalziel
www.dalziel.net
scottandmichelle@dalziel.net
www.cdbaby.com/dalziel
[/URL]www.myspace.com/scottmichelledalziel[/URL]

Scott and Michelle Dalziel
http://www.dalziel.net
scottandmichelle@dalziel.net
http://www.cdbaby.com/dalziel3
[/URL]http://www.myspace.com/scottmichelledalziel[/URL]
#175269 - 06/01/06 05:22 AM Re: Has anyone influenced you playing that does NOT play your instrument?  
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

New Jersey, USA
Issac Stern, the late great violinist, influenced me to play piano with better expression and purpose. I tuned the piano his accompanianist would play at a concert. Before his rehearsal, Mr. Stern asked me to play something. He followed me on one of my songs, and played it as if he knew it forever. I noticed how he was expressing feelings that the song must have given him, not just playing notes that fit. His love for music came through so much that one couldn't help to be inspired from him.

Also, my late dad, who played mandolin with the same passion as Issac Stern. He would become that mandolin and make it sing as if it was alive! So, from my dad to Stern, (violin and mandolin), I am better able to express my feelings on piano, as well as guitar and drums, thought not nearly as good as on piano, just for skill sakes.

John Daubert
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=328343
(Some film type music) which I played all the parts on keys. All after being with Stern, and of course, my father.

Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522

/forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F175266%2Fre-has-anyone-influenced-you-playing-that-does-not-play-your-instrumen.html