en Well I for one am glad to see...... - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#167004 - 05/24/06 01:53 AM Well I for one am glad to see......  
HauserJustin Offline
Serious Contributor
HauserJustin  Offline
Serious Contributor

OHIO
Some familiar faces from other genres embracing country music and counry music embracing artists from other genres as was evident on the Awards tonight. Travis Barker on the drums doing tribute to Mr. Buck Owens. Rascall Flatts with Kelly Clarkson.
What was everyones thoughts on Reba's comment about "the Chicks"? and/or overall opinion of the awards.

Regards,
Justin

#167005 - 05/26/06 09:11 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Morrow, Ohio USA
I only saw the last few minutes of the show, but did see the Reba bash of the chicks.
I thought it was a shame, and unnecessary.

I tend to have more respect for artists who actually know how to play instruments, write as well as perform their own music.
Who actually have something real to say, and are not afraid to say it.
The chicks, unlike Reba and a host of other country singers, are well rounded artist/musicians and should as any artist, be able to express their opinions without death threats.
I didn't hear Reba make a trash comment about Steve Earle, or any of the male artists who regularly bash the persident.
Heck, even John Prine, on austin City Limits last week sang a song that trashed the persident, and Austin is in Texas. I wonder if he has received any death threats, or had his cd run over with a steam roller.

With al l of the corruption, thousands of people dead, fuel prices through the roof, and the country in one crisis after anothers. I am ashamed that the prresident is from earth, let alone Texas.

For whatever country music was trying to do with the inclusion of outside artists, Reba, and the audiences response to her remark made it very clear that country, is Bush country.
It's going to be a long time before good ole'
boy country sheds their back water xenophobic lock and load mentality.

Z........

#167006 - 05/26/06 09:20 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Richmond, Virginia, USA
I didnt see the whole show.

I dont think Reba should bash anyone... but........ I can certainly understand her feelings.

Im sorry, but what they did was a disgrace to country music. And they act very haughty like they are "too cool" for country music and they even said they are going into some other genre where they will be more embraced for their beliefs.

How is Reba and other real country artists supposed to handle such arrogance? Maybe it was wrong, but they have it coming.

An artist should never tote their personal beliefs on stage. I dont care what peopel say about "expression". It doesnt belong.

Elvis Presley himself said he was just an entertainer and he kept his political belifs to himself. No one wants to hear what an artist thinks. They just come to be entertained.

If Natalie Maines wants to run for office, then she can say all the political mumbo jumbo she wants.

#167007 - 05/26/06 09:22 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Richmond, Virginia, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lizzorn:
I only saw the last few minutes of the show, but did see the Reba bash of the chicks.
I thought it was a shame, and unnecessary.

I tend to have more respect for artists who actually know how to play instruments, write as well as perform their own music.
Who actually have something real to say, and are not afraid to say it.
The chicks, unlike Reba and a host of other country singers, are well rounded artist/musicians and should as any artist, be able to express their opinions without death threats.
I didn't hear Reba make a trash comment about Steve Earle, or any of the male artists who regularly bash the persident.
Heck, even John Prine, on austin City Limits last week sang a song that trashed the persident, and Austin is in Texas. I wonder if he has received any death threats, or had his cd run over with a steam roller.

With al l of the corruption, thousands of people dead, fuel prices through the roof, and the country in one crisis after anothers. I am ashamed that the prresident is from earth, let alone Texas.

For whatever country music was trying to do with the inclusion of outside artists, Reba, and the audiences response to her remark made it very clear that country, is Bush country.
It's going to be a long time before good ole'
boy country sheds their back water xenophobic lock and load mentality.

Z........
</font>

Um, what do you mean by "well rounded". Reba has 10x the talent of the Dixie Chicks combined. She could kick their uppity behinds till hell wont have it again.

Go Reba!

[This message has been edited by VASINGER (edited 05-26-2006).]

#167008 - 05/26/06 09:24 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Richmond, Virginia, USA
I like President Bush and if you dont like him you're free to leave the country.

#167009 - 05/26/06 09:53 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
Liz,

Just to set the record straight, Reba didn't start this feud. From an interview in Time magazine, which took place before the awards show, a quote from the Chicks' Martie McGuire:

"I'd rather have a small following of really cool people who get it, who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith," Maguire said. "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

I'm also curious, do you also have less respect for Frank Sinatra, Nate King Cole, Tony Bennett, Dionne Warwicke, Whitney Houston, The Temptations and all the other artists who did "nothing" but sing? The fact is that writing lyrics, composing music and singing are three entirely different skills. Probably nothing has contributed more to mediocrity in music than individuals/groups "doing it all". (Well, maybe commercial radio plays some role, but that doesn't change what I said)

Bill

[This message has been edited by lijemtu (edited 05-26-2006).]

#167010 - 05/26/06 10:33 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
scottandrew Offline
scottandrew  Offline

Top 200 Poster

The Dixie Chicks ARE too cool for country music. At least Ms. Maines had the guts to say what she said.

Last I heard, the new Chicks album was poised to move over 400K units* in its first week of release. It was number one on the iTunes country charts. All WITHOUT the support of country radio. Doesn't sound like it's hurtin' 'em.

The only reason they're being dragged over the coals is because, despite their obvious talents as a vocal group, they're also fashion-plate, hot magazine-cover fodder, which makes them newsworthy. No one cares about bashing ol' Steve Earle.

* Actually, Hits Daily Double is predicting between 460K and 480K sales for the Chicks in their first week.

------------------
Scott Andrew
Lo-fi acoustic pop superhero!
http://www.scottandrew.com/music

[This message has been edited by scottandrew (edited 05-26-2006).]

#167011 - 05/26/06 11:00 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
They are too cool for Country. My information is that their first single peaked at #36 on the Country charts, nice but not what the Chicks are used to. I heard 4 songs off their album, just a bunch of self-indulgent crap. I wish them luck as a Pop act, and good riddance. Nobody is bigger than their fans, and more than crapping on the President, they crapped on their fans.

Bill

#167012 - 05/26/06 11:02 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Cushing Offline
Bob Cushing  Offline

Top 100 Poster

cincinnati oh usa
Why should Reba care one way or the other, she should mind her own damn buisness.{I'm NOT a chicks supporter BTW}
Vas, I DO hope that comment{'If you don't like the president leave the country} was meant to be tongue in cheek! P.s If ALL artists remained apolitical, we'd have missed out on a LOT of great songs over the years.

------------------
bc

[This message has been edited by bcushing (edited 05-26-2006).]

[This message has been edited by bcushing (edited 05-26-2006).]

bc
#167013 - 05/26/06 11:05 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
Give me a break, Bob. You get your name dragged into a national publication and you're not supposed to care?

Bill

#167014 - 05/26/06 11:09 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Cushing Offline
Bob Cushing  Offline

Top 100 Poster

cincinnati oh usa
Did I miss something? {I'm out of the country soap opera loop!}

bc
#167015 - 05/26/06 11:39 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Morrow, Ohio USA
>>>>Quote... I like President Bush and if you dont like him you're free to leave the country.

<<<I think you pretty much said it all. thanks for making my point.

Personally I neither like nor dislike Bush. I am not very happy with a lot of the things that he does, but I am also not too happy with what a lot of political folks do.

Where we differ is in that I believe that you can like who ever you want. Live here and be free to express your views.

By the way, I have been here for fifty years, I ain't going nowhere.

>>>I'm also curious, do you also have less respect for Frank Sinatra, Nate King Cole, Tony Bennett, Dionne Warwicke, Whitney Houston, The Temptations and all the other artists who did "nothing" but sing? The fact is that writing lyrics, composing music and singing are three entirely different skills. Probably nothing has contributed more to mediocrity in music than individuals/groups "doing it all". (Well, maybe commercial radio plays some role, but that doesn't change what I said)
<<< I don't have less respect for them just because they are singers, they just do not intrest or inspire me., at least not in the same way as say a James Taylor, Patty Griffin, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Robert Johnson, Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Lori McKenna, etc.....

>>>And Scott, you are right nobody cares about what bashing ol' Steve Earle has to say. He ain't pretty, don't wear Prada and as far as I have seen doesn't even clean up good.

Maybe the Dixie Chicks are too cool for country music, or at least the narrow minded segment of it.
Shania Twain seems to be too cool for country music too. She hasn't said it, but doesn't really have to, they treated her like doo doo when she went to Nashville.
I think that she lives in Switzerland..

but, oh yes.........
the spin, the money changing hands,
the american system , high commerce and captialism, running on like a well oiled machine.
The perfection of it is downright sublime.

Z........

#167016 - 05/27/06 04:00 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
HauserJustin Offline
Serious Contributor
HauserJustin  Offline
Serious Contributor

OHIO
I probably should've seen this coming.

I don't think it's a big surprise to anyone that country fans are generally more conservative than fans of, say...rap. Or any other popular genre. I'm not sure the "country" music scene is necessarily "Bush country" as much as the President fits the general demographic as many other conservative country fans. He just happens to be the President.

I didn't want this to get overheated, just wanted to know if Reba's comment surprised anyone other than me. Personally, I never saw it coming. I generally don't like it when entertainers use their celeb status to reach into politics or anything else. That is my personal opinion. It is a crazy fine line to walk though, when you have the attention of hundreds of thousands or more to share your point of view. After all, they are people first, they think and worry about the same things as the rest of us.

I think if you wanna be a politician, run for office. If you wanna entertain, by all means entertain. However, athletes use their star status to do many things after their careers are over on the field/court. Which is fine, but when I pay for a ticket to see you play, don't get up to the podium afterwards and tell me about your political views.

I for one could take or leave the "Chicks" music. An issue that I have though with these things is the influence they may have over impressionable fans who hold them in the highest esteem. Much like any music scene,or any other scene, when the people who listen can't put what they hear into proper context, it can snowball into many things.(Remeber Puff Daddy's "VOTE OR DIE"? What the hell was that about?) Good intentions I'm sure, but probably could have sent a better message. IMO
I attend college, and nothing gets me heated more than a professor who slants every issue to point out their own political affiliation. I'm 30 years old, so I know better, but when you hear the 18 year olds chatting about things, it becomes apparent that they have reached their opinions based on "making nice" with the Prof. Not because they know what the heck they are talking about.

As for politics "IN" music, this seems to be a more accepted way to go about saying what you want. But, most of the people who sing about these things do it regularly, and their fans know what their getting. Certainly fans of Steve Earl and Neil Young know what their getting and buy it for that sole purpose. I agree with BCUSHING that many great songs came about because of political turmoil and societal flaws, I go to Kent State, and hear plenty of "protest" type songs almost daily. The "Chicks" fans may have felt a little "duped" and could be the reason for the backlash. I don't think the fans feelings are exactly warranted, but the "Chicks" should've known better. IMO. It likely would have stayed off the radar and maybe blown over completely if the "Chicks" didn't retaliate with their new album. And throw it in the face of country music. But good luck to them in their new direction

In regards to both Reba and the "Chicks" views and the forums in which they chose to share them. I thought they each lacked class, and shame on them both.

Lastly, I still think it was cool to see Travis Barker playing the drums with Dwight Yoakam.

Oh yeah, did every entertainer who won an award play a song directly before they were called up to accept it? Or was it just me?

P.S. I don't blame you if you didn't read this all.

Regards,
Justin.

[This message has been edited by HauserJustin (edited 05-27-2006).]

#167017 - 05/27/06 05:59 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Jeff Van Devender Offline
Jeff Van Devender  Offline

Top 200 Poster

Colorado
My beef with the whole 'Chicks incident' was not so much Natalie's predictable bashing of Bush onstage. The fact that she did it in another country outside our borders kind of ruffled my feathers. At a time when a coalition of international support for our country's mission was being sought, our citizens, including entertainers, have an unspoken responsibility to keep their dissent within the borders of their given right. As ambassadors of their country, which like it or not - they are, being a loose cannon is rather detrimental. Save the negative comments for the home audience.
Disagreeing with the policies and decisions of your leaders and politicians is a basic cornerstone of our freedom. But on the international stage, it doesn't seem real wise to be espousing the types of opinions Natalie was cutting loose with.

#167018 - 05/27/06 06:27 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Richmond, Virginia, USA
Narrow minded? It seems to me no one was being more narrow minded than Natalie Maines for spouting off as if she thinks she is speaking for the entire country.

Also, I dont think they are "too cool" for country.

Country Music is cool without them. Garth Brooks was the one that broke the barriers 15 plus years ago- long before Dixie Chicks ever came around.

As far as their talent, I think they are talented but I really think their music is overly commercial and its clear that they were just using Country Music as a spring board for fame- they didnt even even care much for it.

Shania Twain is a beautiful woman, but Im sorry, I dont want to insult her by commenting on her voice/music.

Its ironic that people who accuse Country Music as narrow minded, are being the same themselves.

And BTW, I was JUST KIDDING with the Bush comment. I just thought Id throw it in to lighen the mood.

#167019 - 05/27/06 06:29 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
VASINGER Offline
Serious Contributor
VASINGER  Offline
Serious Contributor

Richmond, Virginia, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scottandrew:
The Dixie Chicks ARE too cool for country music. At least Ms. Maines had the guts to say what she said.

Last I heard, the new Chicks album was poised to move over 400K units* in its first week of release. It was number one on the iTunes country charts. All WITHOUT the support of country radio. Doesn't sound like it's hurtin' 'em.

The only reason they're being dragged over the coals is because, despite their obvious talents as a vocal group, they're also fashion-plate, hot magazine-cover fodder, which makes them newsworthy. No one cares about bashing ol' Steve Earle.

* Actually, Hits Daily Double is predicting between 460K and 480K sales for the Chicks in their first week.

</font>

You act as if she is some kind of Heroine for basing the President.

#167020 - 05/27/06 07:05 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Cushing Offline
Bob Cushing  Offline

Top 100 Poster

cincinnati oh usa
YEEE-HAW!!! We haven't had a good knock-down-drag out on these boards in a while!
Here's a idea.. How about a three way celebrity death match Between the Chicks, Reba,and Toby on PPV, loser leaves the country!

------------------
bc

bc
#167021 - 05/27/06 07:42 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Young (D) Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bob Young (D)  Offline
Top 100 Poster

chicago il usa
A remark was made about Tony Bennett and Frank sinatra and Nat King Cole"just" singing.
All of those guys (and many more) were politically active during the civil rights movement in the 60's

I've got a cool picture of Tony Bennett marching in Selma ALabama.

Reba is a washed up old broad with big hair...she needed some publicity...she got it.

I cerainly don't look ti the Dixie Chicks for political inspiration....

I love it when people applaud Reba for saying what she did and in the same breath say "we don't want to hear this political crap from entertainers"
Seems like if they're saying what you want to hear it's OK....

We got kids dying in the far East for no good reason...we oughta be more concerned about that than anything some ditz in the Dixie Chicks has to say or what some red headed floozie thinks of what she said.

Bob Young

#167022 - 05/27/06 10:29 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Ray E. Strode Offline
Top 30 Poster
Ray E. Strode  Offline
Top 30 Poster

Brunswick, Ga. USA
Well,
I still like Country Music! Give me Hank, Lefty, Webb, Carl, Ray, Faron, Marty, Jim, Stonewall, Loretta, Conway, Johnny, Marvin, etc, etc, etc. Heck, I listened to a Slim Whitman CD the other day. Who did I leave out?

There is no doubt the Dixie Chicks are still seething over the rejection by their (Former Fans) after that unfortunate remark they made about President Bush on that London Stage.

After the dust settles and they get another decade or two under their belt they can look back and judge the whole situation.

Certainly we all wish we could avoid such things as War but sometimes you have to do something even if it is wrong.

We probably forget History pretty quickly but reviewing Saddum's track record, he attacked Iran back in the 80's, Gassed his own people, and attacked Kuwait in the 90's. When the intelligence suggested he was trying to build an Atomic Bomb it gets your attention pretty quickly. I think the President did the right thing although many people disagree. Only History will tell for sure and even then people will disagree.

Who will I listen to today? Some Beethoven, Perhaps? Have you heard Mahler's First Symphony? Try some Mozart.

Do you folks know that Bob Young is one cool dude? Just thought I'd throw that in.

[This message has been edited by Ray E. Strode (edited 05-27-2006).]

Ray E. Strode
#167023 - 05/27/06 10:55 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
DonOneal Offline
Casual Observer
DonOneal  Offline
Casual Observer

Yalaha Florida, Lake County
Bottom Line,,What ever puts you in the spot light sells your music. I think the chicks want to leave country music. I think they will be happy in pop and I think they should leave country music. We can say what we want in our own country, but don't get the rest of the world in our laundry. The troops didn't ask to be there and they need our support. Remember Nam. We don't need comments like the chicks are making. As for me, I never liked there music anyway.
Perhaps I'm just an old closed minded back woods country music lover.... Hummmm.

yew haw,
Don

#167024 - 05/27/06 11:59 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Joanne Lurgio Offline
Top 100 Poster
Joanne Lurgio  Offline
Top 100 Poster

RI, USA
I didn't see the awards , is it possible to sum up Reba's comments... the curiosity is killing me. [Linked Image]

If its OK, I'd like to add my 2 cents ... when I go to a concert I want to be entertained ... I don't CARE and I don't WANT to hear about their political views!!! Simple as that!!!
I remember going to see Bette Midler ... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bette... she puts on an awesome show and was doing so this particular night, when suddenly she goes off on a comical political bashing rant leading into her next song ... I was So p***** off ! [Linked Image] I paid a LOT of money to hear her sing ... SHUT UP AND SING!!!!

Now go on ... have a nice day. I'm going to have a cup of coffee [Linked Image]
Joanne

------------------

[*]The Best is Yet to Be,Joanne Lurgio-singer/songwriter www.joannelurgio.com

[*] Joanne's Gig Calendar - http://www.musi-cal.com/search?key=performers&value=Lurgio

[*] http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=100751

[*] www.cdbaby.com/cd/lurgio

[*] MySpace - www.myspace.com/joannelurgio

[*]www.cdbaby.com/group/justplainfolks

#167025 - 05/27/06 12:56 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Rick Heenan Offline
Rick Heenan  Offline

Top 200 Poster

Lockport NY, usa
My father told me, many moons ago, that if you are in business you shouldn't profess your political views because you have the ability to piss off possibly half of your customers. Customers equal income. If you profess your religious views, through your business, your ability to piss people off is exponential.

I like all the artists involved btw.

#167026 - 05/27/06 01:43 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
tessiemc Offline
Casual Observer
tessiemc  Offline
Casual Observer

Yellville, AR, USA
I didn't watch the awards and am not a country music fan, but have heard about some of the squabbling.

The Dixie Chicks have as much right to say what they think as any of us has. So does Reba. However, sometimes those remarks just make the person saying them look bad. I think Reba may be wishing she'd kept her mouth shut. There's a time and a place...

This country was created by people who saw problems and weren't afraid to make waves in order to start some new ways of thinking. It's a good thing!

Accentuate the positive!

My Yahoo Group:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/wiseacres/
My Blog:
http://tinyurl.com/hcms2
#167027 - 05/27/06 02:04 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
I don't see this as a free speech issue at all. Of course the Chicks have a right to express themselves. This is a business issue to me. The Dixie Chicks are a multi-million dollar business. If, for example, you have a business that caters to an Afro-American clientel, you don't go to a skinhead rally and make racist remarks and then come home and complain that you lost customers cause all you were doing was saying what you think. That's what the Chicks did, they insulted their customers, came back and told them to stick it, and continue to tell them to stick it, and they're paying a price for it.

Bill

[This message has been edited by lijemtu (edited 05-27-2006).]

#167028 - 05/27/06 02:32 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Morrow, Ohio USA
After thinking about it I remember that in
the original "Incident" many country artists
were publicly vocal against the chicks.
I believe that Toby Keith and Reba McIntire were among them.
If as was stated, the chicks made a remark about Reba and Toby in a magazine article, they were just remembering things from the past, and re-hashing them.
I do not agree with that either.
Neither the chicks or Reba should go around bashing each other in public or in print. or use a nationally broadcast entertainment show to fuel their personal feud. They may think that it is cool and it may make them feel big and bullit proof for awhile, but eventually it will back fire and they will all lose something.

Z...............

#167029 - 05/27/06 02:48 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
I totally agree an awards show is not an appropriate place to make personal or political statements of any kind. That's not what people are watching to see. What any artist (private citizen) does as far as bashing someone on their own time is up to them, as long as they're willing to accept any consequences that come of it. JMO

Bill

#167030 - 05/27/06 03:59 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
scottandrew Offline
scottandrew  Offline

Top 200 Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by heen-man:
My father told me, many moons ago, that if you are in business you shouldn't profess your political views because you have the ability to piss off possibly half of your customers. Customers equal income. If you profess your religious views, through your business, your ability to piss people off is exponential.</font>

That's very true, but I also think that being honest and upfront about your political and/or religious opinions can really solidify your customer base.

You might lose half of your customers, but the other half might end up being even more loyal to you. That's the gamble the Chicks are taking, and it appears to be working.

#167031 - 05/27/06 04:13 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Young (D) Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bob Young (D)  Offline
Top 100 Poster

chicago il usa
Thanks, Ray..

funny you should mention all those "classic" artists..

I'm on a classic country listening binge myself these days..

That was great music!

Bob

#167032 - 05/27/06 05:02 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Mike Dunbar Offline
JPF Mentor
Mike Dunbar  Offline
JPF Mentor

Nashville Tennessee
Natalie Maines was probably 22 years old when she said that. Heck we've had Senators on both sides of the aisle who sided with racist organizations in their younger days.

I agree with the best philosopher of the early 21st century...Don Imus. [Linked Image] If she wanted to make a political statement, she should have done it here instead of in Enland.

Scarier than her saying something as ill-advisedly as she did is the amount of death threats she got for it. Some of which where taken very seriously by the authorities.

I believe (heck, I defend and would to my death) that we all have the right to say whatever we want, on either side of any issue, then other people have the right to reply. She had the right to say what she wanted, the radio stations had the right to stop playing her stuff, Reba had the right to say what she said. That's one of the things that makes our country great.

All the Best,
Mike

------------------
You have to practice improvisation. -Art Tatum

Mike Dunbar Music

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music

#167033 - 05/27/06 05:52 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
HauserJustin Offline
Serious Contributor
HauserJustin  Offline
Serious Contributor

OHIO
For Sheila, the comment Reba made was something like...."If the Dixie Chicks can still sing with their feet in their mouth's then I can surely host this thing (the award show)". Which subsequently caused the audience to give a standing ovation type response. Someone said earlier that this may not have been the proper platform for Reba's comment, but judging by the audience response, it appeared to be the best place for it. I didn't realize the anger of the "Chicks" (or specifically, Natalie's) comment went so deep.

As for the "narrow mindedness" of country music, I wanna mention again that Travis Barker (from the punk/alt/rock band Blink 182 was playing the freakin' drums with Dwight Yoakam. I haven't read anything about country fans having issue with this. For what it's worth. Or Kelly Clarkson singing with Rascall Flatts, although they are closer to pop than Kelly is to country.

[This message has been edited by HauserJustin (edited 05-27-2006).]

#167034 - 05/27/06 05:53 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
Mike, I just did a search and she'll be 32 in October. So she was about 29 at the time. Old enough to be responsible. What surprises me is that they had to have PR people working for them. You'd have thought someone could have talked some "sense" to her. And I think the other 2 ladies in the group are older than she is. I guess it's important enough to her to not care. The Chicks may have enough money to not worry what anyone thinks. But what about the little guys who were dependent on them, the musicians, the crew and all the others. They've all taken a hit.
The American people are very forgiving. She could have put this behind her at any time. The Senators you mention have all renounced their past associations. Look at what happened to Trent Lott a few years back for saying something nice about Strom Thurmond.
Death threats are unforgivable. You get them on both sides, and the people who make them are not normal.

Bill

#167035 - 05/27/06 06:21 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
The whole thing is purely silly. Mike has said it best. If you don't like what an artist has to say, don't buy their product. That'll shut 'em up pretty quick.

I happen to like some of the Dixie Chicks stuff. I could care less about their political views. I don't like Reba and could care less about her views too.

Same goes for me. If I said something my fans didn't agree with, I wouldn't expect them to follow me down my path. That's their choice.

The one thing that both of these artists got out of it is tons of publicity. My guess is, that's what they both wanted, and it's what they all got. Why? You're talking about it here. Additional residual publicity.

Jody

------------------
Music That Makes Your Soul Happy!
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
A Funky Audio Lap Dance For Your Ears!
www.jodywhitesides.com
#167036 - 05/27/06 06:37 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Cushing Offline
Bob Cushing  Offline

Top 100 Poster

cincinnati oh usa
Of course if they had settled their differences in a private manner like adults,instead of airing their dirty laundry on national T.V, we wouldn't be discussing this.

------------------
bc

bc
#167037 - 05/27/06 06:54 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

New Jersey, USA
I don't have the desire to tell any artist what they should sing about, (here or anywhere), or what they should or shouldn't say in public on stage about anyone. They can reap the benifits or the negative results from it. It's on them either way. Wish I did have that power to decide what should and shouldn't be said and where! Geezzz! Would be King! Then my wife would laugh and that would be that.

I liked how John Lennon said and sung what he wanted in his years as an expressive artist. Agree or not, I think we need more non cookie cutters to say what they really think.

John

Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522

#167038 - 05/27/06 07:25 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Mike Dunbar Offline
JPF Mentor
Mike Dunbar  Offline
JPF Mentor

Nashville Tennessee
Bill,

I hear you. My friend Tim Sergent was playing steel with the Dixie Chicks at the time, and he's not now. I don't know if the controversy had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I wonder when this will all trickle down. There'll be a gasoline brand for liberals and one for conservatives. There's already liberal ice cream and salad dressing. How about conservative chewing gum?

The thing is, today's political machinery doesn't want businesses to be publicly neutral, they thrive on the conflict because theyv'e discovered that anger brings out their base to vote.

There's a fascination with anger and violence that begins in adolescence, part of God's plan to get us to leave the comfortable nest and find the best mate possible. Madison Avenue and Hollywood thrive on this, the unwitting consequence of the youth generation of the sixties, where commerce was aimed at adolecscents, eventually morphed into violent video games and gansta rap. Now we're encouraged by talk radio and tv pundits to actually hate the other side...encouraged to have arrested emotional developement.

So, if I say I don't like x or y politician, there'll always be someone who'll call me unpatriotic, perhaps traitorous, for doing what a good American should, being part of political discourse. I believe this is part of the war of good vs. evil, a sign of the end times. Those who love vs. those who hate. It happens in the middle east...it happens in my own heart.

All the Best,
Mike

------------------

Mike Dunbar Music

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music

#167039 - 05/27/06 08:39 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
Mike,

Government and Religion has always thrived on conflict.

Most people would likely be content to live without the need for either one. Yet, throw together two governments or religions and watch the conflict begin. The most violent ones will rise to the top, until another more violent one comes along to take over.

Rather interesting isn't?

Jody

------------------
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
www.jodywhitesides.com
#167040 - 05/27/06 09:09 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
Jody,

Survival of the strongest has always been the way on this planet and always will be. From the animal kingdom through us. If it wasn't wasn't politics and religion people were fighting over, it would would be property or women or whatever.

Bill

#167041 - 05/27/06 09:11 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Mike Dunbar Offline
JPF Mentor
Mike Dunbar  Offline
JPF Mentor

Nashville Tennessee
Jody,

I'd amend that to: human politics always thrives on conflict. That covers government, religion, websites, a host of other human endeavors. Conflict, though is not necessarily bad, it's through conflict and resolution that we improve and grow.

The best of Government and Religion tries to resolve conflict. The worst of both discourages the resolution of conflict, because they thrive on peoples' prejudices and anger. In martial arts, one is taught that it's easier to control an angry person.

All the Best,
Mike

------------------

Mike Dunbar Music

[This message has been edited by Mike Dunbar (edited 05-27-2006).]

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music

#167042 - 05/27/06 09:17 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bob Young (D) Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bob Young (D)  Offline
Top 100 Poster

chicago il usa
I think Tom Selleck is a right wing boob!

But...that has never stopped me from enjoying his movies..I find him funny and self effacing and purely enjoyable.
If I'm just gonna listen to people that agree with my politics...well...I'm gonna get pretty sick of acoustic guitars and bongoes!

I'm sorry if Mikes pal lost his gig cos of what that girl said...but...the last time I looked it was sdtill OK to say what you believed.

I remember when JFK refused to wear hats...all the hatmakers and hat retailers went into shock and accused him of killing their business,
He still never wore a hat and they moved on to other businesses...

America....I love this place!

Bob

#167043 - 05/27/06 11:26 PM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lijemtu:
Jody,

Survival of the strongest has always been the way on this planet and always will be. From the animal kingdom through us. If it wasn't wasn't politics and religion people were fighting over, it would would be property or women or whatever.

Bill
</font>

Survival of the strongest is a different theory from politics, religion and violence. Survival of the strongest simple means that you will outlast your predators. Now if you're the strongest and using your power to steal that which you don't own, force that which isn't in love with you, or whatever, then you're the predator and others would be surviving you. In no way does that make you correct. It does make you a target.

If I'm not mistaken, most truly gifted people and/or geniuses aren't generally violent, though they can be caustic with their views. There is a difference.

Jody

------------------
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
www.jodywhitesides.com
#167044 - 05/28/06 03:06 AM Re: Well I for one am glad to see......  
Bill Osofsky Offline
Top 100 Poster
Bill Osofsky  Offline
Top 100 Poster

Utah
Jody,

I think that maybe I didn't make myself real clear, but that's ok. This was just about the Chicks, so let's leave it at that. I've listened to your music and you're a terrific artist. Best of luck to you.

Bill

/forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F167028%2Fre-well-i-for-one-am-glad-to-see.html