en URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY! - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#166286 - 04/24/06 03:18 PM URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Pop Superhero Offline
Serious Contributor
Pop Superhero  Offline
Serious Contributor

Boston, MA, USA
Indie Musicians across the Nation need *YOUR* HELP TODAY ... Letters MUST be received by APRIL 27TH! I just read about this injustice in the "Music Thoughts" Yahoo Group:

There is a Preposal made by the Copyright office to increase absolutely *all* filing fees, including the TWO FORMS *EVERY* Indie Musician has to file to protect every song they write: Form SR (sound recordings) and PA (preforming arts--music and lyrics before recording), from the present $30.00 to $45.00 on July 1, 2006. We only have until April 27 to object! They are accepting letters from the public regarding this increase as a matter of Law, which the increase, should enough people write in to complain about, would be disallowed by Congress. Of course, it is as incovenient as possible to object: NO EMAILS, 10 Copies requested of every letter! Here's the page with the info: http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2006/71fr15368.html

***NOTE***: Comments should be in writing
and received by April 27, 2006.

ADDRESSES: If hand delivered by a private party, an original and ten copies of any comment should be brought to Room LM-401 of the James Madison Memorial Building between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. and the envelope should be addressed as follows: Office of the General Counsel, U.S. Copyright Office, James Madison Memorial Building, Room LM-401, 101 Independence Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20559-6000. If hand delivered by a commercial courier, an original and ten copies of any comment must be delivered to the Congressional Courier Acceptance Site located at Second and D Streets, NE., Washington, DC, between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. The envelope should be addressed as follows: Copyright Office General Counsel, Room LM-403, James Madison Memorial Building, 101 Independence Avenue, SE., Washington DC. If sent by mail, an original and five copies of any comment should be addressed to: Copyright GC/I&R, P.O. Box 70400, Southwest Station, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Comments may not be delivered by means of overnight delivery services such as Federal Express, United Parcel Service, etc., due to delays in processing receipt of such deliveries.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Tanya M. Sandros, Associate General Counsel, or Kent Dunlap, Principal Legal Advisor for the General Counsel, Telephone 202) 707-8380. Telefax 202) 707-8366.

** I would remind everyone, that these fees are NOT needed and are just another means of over-charging Indie Musicians, those who can afford it the least, as the copyrighting process will be unchanged, in that it still could take from 3 to 6 months OR MORE to get your Form (s) registered, AND, they just made an increse from $20.00 to $30.00 only a few years back.

BIG MONEY SAVER: I would remind those who may not be aware, that you can Copyright a 'collection' of songs on one Form for one fee instead of registering all of your songs separately, but you have to title the collection, "a collection of songs: 'The Yellow Submarine'", to give you an idea.

GIRL POWER! Lynn 'JULIAN' a.k.a. Cookie Cutter Girl
"Girl Power Pop Superhero on OVER 500 TV & RADIO STATIONS!"
EPK PRESS KIT: http://www.Sonicbids.com/lynnjulian

Strength Through Unity!

JULIAN aKa CCG Pop Superhero

TWITTER: htt://Twitter.com/PopSuperhero
(FOLLOW ME for Free Music Contests!)
FACEBOOK: http://TinyURL.com/FacebookPopSuperhero
BLOG: http://InnerSuperhero.net
CUSTOM JEWELRY: http://VelvetChokers.com
#166287 - 04/24/06 04:43 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
While the price increase might suck. I'm curious to know how you believe it's only meant to stick it to the indie or non-signed artist? If it's a fee increase, it's for any artist that registers their material is it not? This includes poets, musicians that are signed, comedians, etc...

Also, how do we know that the price increase doesn't go to improving the process? Or to help pay for the storage of the submission? Notice how rent and real estate has gone up drastically recently? Does this not effect the government as well? How do we know its not to prevent people without commercial intent to stop sending submissions that time to process unecessarily? Just some things that come to mind that might justify the increase.

Jody

------------------
Music That Makes Your Soul Happy!
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
A Funky Audio Lap Dance For Your Ears!
www.jodywhitesides.com
#166288 - 04/24/06 05:22 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

New Jersey, USA
Some of the same thoughts I had also.

Either two great or diminished minds think alike here. Or somewhere in between most likely,,,knowing me.

John

Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522

#166289 - 04/24/06 09:51 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Morrow, Ohio USA
It has been at 30.00 for a while now ,
most things increase more often, And with all of the new security measures taken since 911.
I am surprised they didn't do it sooner.

Yes, Just one more incentive to register collections instead of individual songs.
You can list the songs on a collection seperately if you fill out the continuation sheet.
Form /CON

This is one price increase that I really don't have a problem with.

Now if you want to discuss gas prices, health care and a zillon other ways people get suckered out of their hard earned money, well. I could say a thing or two.

Peace L.

#166290 - 04/24/06 10:17 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Hummingbird Offline
Hummingbird  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Victoria, B.C. Canada
One could certainly understand a reasonable raise in the rate, from $30 to $35. But $30 to $45 seems excessive to me - especially since, as a Canadian, $45 US is $52 CA.
H

------------------
Vikki Flawith, Canadian Singer/Songwriter & Voice Teacher

This bird sings at:
http://www.soundclick.com/vikkiflawith
www.vikkiflawith.com

Vikki on MySpace

Hummingbird's Wise Bird's Blog

The Shy Singer-Songwriter's Blog
The Shy Singer-Songwriter's Newsletter

Vikki Flawith: Songwriter/Composer, Singer/Voice Teacher

12Feb10- *NEW BLOG: "BE YOUR OWN GURU ;)"

MY STORY & MY MUSIC: http://www.vikkiflawith.com
Be a FAN: http://www.reverbnation.com/vikkiflawith
#166291 - 04/24/06 10:17 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Dave Rice (D) Offline
Top 30 Poster
Dave Rice (D)  Offline
Top 30 Poster

Texas
Hi All:

As far as I'm concerned, there can be no justification for an increase in the copyright fee. You will notice that no promises were made by the beaurocrats as far as speeding up the process or increasing productivity. I got word today that my copyright submission mailed in December of 2005 (a compilation of several new, original songs) did not make it through the screening process due to an anthrax scare. In other words, they zapped or fried my CD and now expect me to endure a repeat of the same exposure of my material to non-caring civil servants. Reminds me a little of the baggage handling situation on most airlines now.

They have graciously granted me 120 days to respond with a new CD and at least have assigned my "case" a number which can be traced. My previous copyright application took much more than six months to be processed.

I'd like to see the process changed to allow an applicant to be assigned a trackable number prior to submitting the formal application and paperwork.

It's too darn late for me to reply to these folks in writing in order to meet the April 27th deadline. My letter would arrive in DC in approximately one week. I will, however, be writing my congresspersons and senators to complain about this pile of rotten fish.

Has anyone ever seen a detailed description of the process that occurs once a copyright application arrives at the Library of Congress? Surely, like most governmental agencies, there exists a "standard operating procedure."

I know that they receive thousands of applications each day. Surely they are staffed to handle the volume.

While I agree with Jody and John that this does not only impact "indie songwriters" I appreciate Girlintheband's posting of this travesty. Just another reason to hate Osama Bin Laden and his cowardly cohorts.

Dave Rice

#166292 - 04/25/06 12:06 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
What does this have to do with Osama Bin laden?!? Last I checked he's not a resident of America, nor does he work for the US government. In fact, I don't think he has anything to do with copyrighting a song or the time it takes. And from what I remember it was an American that actually started mailing out Anthrax.

Now, if you mail the complaint priority mail it would likely only take two days to get there.

Jody

p.s. - here's to not believing in running the country with fear. That's all the current administration wants you to do - FEAR the world.

------------------
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
www.jodywhitesides.com
#166293 - 04/25/06 01:58 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
James B. Mitchell Offline
Serious Contributor
James B. Mitchell  Offline
Serious Contributor

Moorpark, CA USA
I read through the proposal. I don't like the increase any more than anyone else. I don't sit around, saying, "Oh, goodie! A fee increase!" [Linked Image] But it does seem reasonable that an agency that's supposed to be self-supporting should be able to charge a fee that covers their costs.

Someone mentioned that it won't get faster or better. According to their analysis, this fee increase will cover only 95% of the cost of existing services. So, to improve service it would make sense that the fee would have to go even higher.

What was much more interesting to me was the information on them going to an electroning filing service by the end of 2007, with a two-tier fee schedule being adopted when they go to that model - electronic filing being cheaper than "paper-based" filing. Sounds like they may be heading in the right direction. Doesn't that sound like a much simpler way to handle all this?

By the way, last fee increase was in 1999, so it's been seven years since the last increase. This is a steep increase, to be sure, but it's partly the result of a 2002 fee increase not getting enacted.

- James

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> here's to not believing in running the country with fear.</font>

Amen, Jody.

------------------
You can really only please one songwriter at a time. Might as well be yourself! :^)

Samples of my music at www.soundclick.com/jamesmitchell.htm

[This message has been edited by JamesM (edited 04-24-2006).]

You can really only please one songwriter at a time. Might as well be yourself! :^)

Samples of my music at http://www.soundclick.com/jamesmitchell.htm
#166294 - 04/25/06 03:06 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
HauserJustin Offline
Serious Contributor
HauserJustin  Offline
Serious Contributor

OHIO
Just another reason to hate Osama Bin Laden and his cowardly cohorts.

Ummm...???

What does this have to do with Osama Bin laden?!? Last I checked he's not a resident of America, nor does he work for the US government. In fact, I don't think he has anything to do with copyrighting a song or the time it takes. And from what I remember it was an American that actually started mailing out Anthrax.

...Correct...but...

p.s. - here's to not believing in running the country with fear. That's all the current administration wants you to do - FEAR the world.

...how is this comment related to this topic?

[This message has been edited by HauserJustin (edited 04-25-2006).]

#166295 - 04/25/06 03:39 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
"Tampa Stan" Good (D) Offline
Top 10 Poster
"Tampa Stan" Good (D)  Offline
Top 10 Poster

Tampa, Florida since 1973
Unless I'm mistaken, the NUMBERS of Copyrights Sought has gone up Considerably in the last 5 years...THUS the number of $30 Fees-Collected must have ALSO gone up Dramatically.

CDs-sent would seemingly take up far less space to STORE than Cassettes formerly did...so the job would, one would think, NOW be far-easier to complete, storage-wise.

And again, I don't see where the Copyright Office has any intention of SPEEDING UP "The Process" with these proposed Enhanced Proceeds.

So, Yeah..."A Copyright Applied-For" Tracking Number..AND Speedier Returns..or PHOOEY on this latest Government Money-Plucker Idea! They're supposed to be PROTECTING Us Writers...NOT Exploiting us. (Or at least, THAT was what the Founding Fathers had in mind.) Hit Songs do LOTS to Balance the Balance-of- Payments on Our World Trade..& Anything Congress can do to IMPROVE the Songwriting Situation is Good Business.

This Proposal sure ISN'T. It's about as Timely as $4 a Gallon Gasoline.

Who Needs It?

JMO, Natch--
Stan

#166296 - 04/25/06 04:22 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Jeff Van Devender Offline
Jeff Van Devender  Offline

Top 200 Poster

Colorado
Seems like they could overhaul/update the process a bit with the information age having progressed the way it has the last few years.

Why not allow online submissions? Could speed up the process a little bit, plus a little less hardware (cd's, tapes, paper, etc.) to deal with.

Of cxourse, there isn't a huge precedent for conservation of resources now that I think about it.

------------------
JavaMusiK

E-Mail JavaMusiK to get your cd's added to the JustPlainFolks Gallery at:
cdbaby.com/group/justplainfolks

#166297 - 04/25/06 05:27 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HauserJustin:
Just another reason to hate Osama Bin Laden and his cowardly cohorts.

Ummm...???

...Correct...but...

...how is this comment related to this topic?

[This message has been edited by HauserJustin (edited 04-25-2006).]
</font>

That was sorta my whole point in the first place Justin. The very mention of that guy makes no sense. So I just ran with it.

Jody

------------------
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
www.jodywhitesides.com
#166298 - 04/25/06 01:47 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Pop Superhero Offline
Serious Contributor
Pop Superhero  Offline
Serious Contributor

Boston, MA, USA
WOW... I'm very surprised by the lack of support in this forum. Let them keep raising their fees by 50% every so often, as they've done 2x now, since *you* are all willing to pay it. They did not promise any improvements in the system, so don't expect any. *smile* I still feel $45 is an unreasonably high amount to file a CD, photocopy a form and mail it back to me.

WAIT... I think I've figured out their logic! If *I* made $45 every time I filed information about the music industry on my PC & mailed out a promo pack or & CD ... I *would* be able to pay $45 to copyright every song I write! *wink*

------------------
GIRL POWER!
"Girl Power POP with a PUNCH" on 500+ TV & Radio Stations!
http://www.CookieCutterGirl.com

Strength Through Unity!

#166299 - 04/25/06 01:54 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Pop Superhero Offline
Serious Contributor
Pop Superhero  Offline
Serious Contributor

Boston, MA, USA
Seriously though, folks ...
I know WAY too many part-time musicians who didn't file when it was $30, and will *never* file when it's $45. Perhaps there can be a sliding scale based on the filer's income? They could include a copy of their taxes with their form. That way, record labels and publishers, who make the most money, would pay the highest fees! *smile*

------------------
GIRL POWER!
"Girl Power POP with a PUNCH" on 500+ TV & Radio Stations!
http://www.CookieCutterGirl.com

Strength Through Unity!

#166300 - 04/25/06 03:13 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Dave Rice (D) Offline
Top 30 Poster
Dave Rice (D)  Offline
Top 30 Poster

Texas
Jody and others:

Obviously you did not understand the Osama rant. My reasoning is simply that the entire process of security screening (big delay) for copyright submittals is due to this individual's efforts to destroy our country.

Certainly that adds cost to the process and to be sure, it sometimes adds considerable delay, like when your CD gets zapped in the screening process and you have to endure the entire process again... at your expense.

You may not agree with me, but I place the blame for at least part of this request for cost increase squarely on the shoulders of this dumb damn arab coward.

Dave Rice

#166301 - 04/25/06 03:22 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
Julian, I didn't say that I wouldn't send the 11 copies of the letter.

However, I think your last post is exactly why they are raising the rates. It's the same reason TAXI charges money for every submission you send them, though I'm amazed they haven't raised their prices yet. It takes time to get through that stuff. With TAXI they don't store your stuff, once it's listened and processed it's probably tossed out. But with the L.O.C. they're processing it, and storing it. BIG difference.

Reading the link provided I see this: "Moreover, the Office has concluded that the basic registration
filing fee, which was not adjusted in 2002, should be increased by 50%
this year from $30 to $45. However, this increase does not reflect full
cost recovery for the service provided nor does the Office seek to
recover its full cost for registration of a single claim. The
registration system provides benefits to the public and to the Library
of Congress that offset the need to set fees at a level that would
recover full costs. Although the copyright law provides incentives to
register copyrights, see 17 U.S.C. 410(c), 411(a), and 412, the Office
nevertheless recognizes that copyright owners balance the benefits of
these incentives against the costs of registration, and that there is a
fair degree of price elasticity with respect to registration.
Therefore, the Office has set the fee for the basic registration at a
level to allow reasonable recovery of costs but not so

[[Page 15370]]

high as to discourage copyright owners from filing their claims with
the Office."

If I'm not mistaken, this is true. Did you also read that they've now included the ability to register photographs as well? That's a new service, I'm betting those get digitized. There's so many things that can be registered for copyright and yet all you're seeing is the music one. Did you notice that costs on all their difference services? Some are going up some are not, some not getting used are being discontinued and new ones are being added. It doesn't look like they're doing this without thought.

Essentially, this is part of doing business. If you're seriously going to attempt to make money with your creation you need to do this. However, I know there are people that write songs but have no real intention to do much with them - but they copyright them anyway. Why? If they're not worried about making money from it, why in the world would they worry about it's similarity to someone elses creation?

You are also aware that there is no real reason to register with the L.O.C. unless you forsee getting sued or needing to sue someone else over proving who wrote something right? Are you also aware that a large majority of these copyright suits in music rarely result in a win for the plantiff? Why? Because it can be argued that there has been no new music created since the 12 tone system has in place. It's all been done before. So unless you've been copied note for note on a creation - it will be difficult. Not to mention you HAVE to prove how the defendant heard your creation to be able to copy it.

Now in the case of an SR form and sampling, that's a very different subject. If you find someone sampled you then you've great ground to stand on. Because as we should all know, sampling without permission is illegal.

The interesting thing is after reading that document, I understand the increase better and realize they haven't had a submission fee increase in nearly 7 years, which to my recollection is about right - I do remember when it went from $20 to $30 and it was about 7 years ago. It's nice to have facts first and not just cry out loud about some injustice. I like to think things through and thinking about this it's not really a travesty.

One more thing to note: this is a request to congress, this isn't a done deal.

Jody

------------------
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
www.jodywhitesides.com
#166302 - 04/25/06 03:27 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
scottandrew Offline
scottandrew  Offline

Top 200 Poster

You know, $45 really isn't a lot of money these days. Sorry to be blunt, but if you couldn't afford to pay even $30 to copyright your songs, I think you have bigger problems to work through first.

It's kinda amazing to me how artists will happily pay several THOUSAND dollars to record a CD, pay several THOUSAND dollars to buy and own good equipment, will then turn around and complain about a $15 copyright fee increase.

The cost of postage has steadily increased every few years. Where's the outrage about that?

Gas at over $3 a gallon? Cry me a river. In the UK and Europe, gasoline is over $5 a gallon and has been that way for ages. When it comes to gas prices in the US, we've been positively spoiled.

------------------
Scott Andrew
Lo-fi acoustic pop superhero!
http://www.scottandrew.com/music

#166303 - 04/25/06 03:31 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Jody Whitesides Offline
Jody Whitesides  Offline

Top 100 Poster

Park City, UT, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyric9:
Jody and others:

Obviously you did not understand the Osama rant. My reasoning is simply that the entire process of security screening (big delay) for copyright submittals is due to this individual's efforts to destroy our country.

Certainly that adds cost to the process and to be sure, it sometimes adds considerable delay, like when your CD gets zapped in the screening process and you have to endure the entire process again... at your expense.

You may not agree with me, but I place the blame for at least part of this request for cost increase squarely on the shoulders of this dumb damn arab coward.

Dave Rice
</font>

Dave, I did understand it. I understand your frustration. It's misdirected. Osama has nothing to do with Anthrax and mail security. As I stated it previously it was an AMERICAN that started that tactic. Not a foreigner. So if you're pissed about that, blame your own countrymen - especially the bone-head that felt compelled to send Anthrax through the mail.

Jody

------------------
www.jodywhitesides.com

Jody Whitesides
www.jodywhitesides.com
#166304 - 04/25/06 03:48 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
ric4music Offline
Serious Contributor
ric4music  Offline
Serious Contributor

Asheville, NC 28806
Why is it so suprising to some that the Library of Congress would raise the fees and charges for copyrighting services? Do they not have personel that recieve an income? Are we so blind to think that we shouldn't have to pay for the services rendered? The people who process, catalog and file your works of creative art have to eat and pay bills just like you do. If you want to fuss about something call your congressman and ask him what he is doing to deserve they outragouse salary he gets paid. Don't piss and moan about the civil servants that actually provide a tangible service to you and the rest of the musical/arts community. Granted, I feel the pinch just like everybody else but I'll pay it just so I know that my works are protected. It's no different than your insurance company raising your premium; it will cost you more but you're still covered.

ric4music
"Have Guitar, Will Travel"
#166305 - 04/25/06 11:56 PM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
HauserJustin Offline
Serious Contributor
HauserJustin  Offline
Serious Contributor

OHIO
Hey Jody, i'm followin' ya now. I just didn't want this thread to end up getting hijacked and turned into a political screaming match.
Trying to keep the train on the tracks, so to speak.

I don't really have a problem with the fee increase. But I probably don't have as much to copyright as some of you do.

Regards,
Justin

#166306 - 04/26/06 11:25 AM Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED TODAY: 50% Copyright fee increase ... SEND a PROTEST LETTER TODAY!  
Everett Adams Offline
Top 40 Poster
Everett Adams  Offline
Top 40 Poster

,NL Canada
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by scottandrew:
You know, $45 really isn't a lot of money these days. Sorry to be blunt, but if you couldn't afford to pay even $30 to copyright your songs, I think you have bigger problems to work through first.

It's kinda amazing to me how artists will happily pay several THOUSAND dollars to record a CD, pay several THOUSAND dollars to buy and own good equipment, will then turn around and complain about a $15 copyright fee increase.

The cost of postage has steadily increased every few years. Where's the outrage about that?

Gas at over $3 a gallon? Cry me a river. In the UK and Europe, gasoline is over $5 a gallon and has been that way for ages. When it comes to gas prices in the US, we've been positively spoiled.

</font>

Scott,you don't have to go as far as Europe to find $5.00 gas,parts of Canada has gasoline over $5.00 per gallon.Most of it is taxes but we still have to pay it.There's a provincial tax,a federal tax,green tax,municiple tax and on top of it all a sales(GST)tax.No doubt our gallon is larger than your(your is 128 ounces,ours is 160)we price it in litres so it doesn't look so bad, but there is approximately 4.5 litres to our gallon.So at $1.20 per litre,you do the math.Also we are an oil exporting country, but we still have to pay the world price.

Everett

------------------
The more often you taste the bitterness of defeat, the sweeter final victory will be.

www.soundclick.com/newsflashsounds

www.soundclick.com/newsflashgospel

The more you taste the bitterness of defeat, the sweeter final victory will be

May the flowers of love forever bloom in your garden of life

http://www.soundclick.com/newsflashsounds

http://www.soundclick.com/newsflashgospel

www.cdbaby.com/all/eca333

www.showcaseyourmusic.com/newsflashsounds
/forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F166289%2Fre-urgent-help-needed-today-50-copyright-fee-increase-send-a-protest-l.html