en The Renfro Valley Barndance Show - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#163933 - 03/06/06 12:36 AM The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline
Top 200 Poster
Cal  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Allen Park, MI
The Renfro Valley Barn Dance
and
Renfro Valley Gatherin'

Hi folks-
Itís rare that I wake up at 04:15 am.
But on Sunday morning, I turned on my am/fm clock radio, and tuned in to my local am radio station WJR 760, to listen to the tail end of The Midnight Trucking Network.
TMTN broadcasts out of Arlington TX Monday thru Sundays.
At 05:00, a really warm show from KY started, and really got my attention:
The Renfro Valley Gatherin'.
Itís only a half hour show, but a rare find of down home Country, Gospel, and Bluegrass Music. Many of these tunes date as far back as the 30ís.
A nice warm, peaceful way to enjoy the early hours of a Sunday morning, before deciding to go back to sleep, or, to get up.
I did some research on the station, and the Renfro Valley Barn Dance Show, looks like a real Hillbilly classic!
I may even stop by to see a show some time, if my job takes me through the area.
Renfro Valley is about 30 miles south of Lexington KY.
Just some sites that any Country, Gospel, Bluegrass or old Hillbilly Music lovers may find interesting.
Click the link on the station's site-
WRVK 1460- to hear a live broadcast.

http://www.renfrovalley.com/radio/index.html

http://www.hillbilly-music.com/programs/story/index.php?prog=230

http://www.renfrovalley.com/

http://wrvk1460.com/

http://www.fabuloustravel.com/usa/renfro/renfro.html

http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski




















[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 03-06-2006).]

#163934 - 03/06/06 10:24 PM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 291
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 291
Morrow, Ohio USA
If you are speaking of Renfro Valley Kentucky. I have fond memories of that place from over 40 years back.
My father used to sing with Casey Jones (the fiddle player) band from time to time. He was not their fulltime singer, had a day job and a family.
We moved away from Kentucky when I was ten. My dad never sang in public again...
Damn shame too..
They played Renfrom Valley and other spots in vogue at the time.
Now daddy and Casey are gone, but the music still plays in my head.

I am just north of Cincinnati, perhaps a weekend trip down I-75 when the weather breaks.

L.

#163935 - 03/06/06 11:43 PM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 401
Midnite Bob Offline
Serious Contributor
Midnite Bob  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 401
D.C.
Hi Cal,

And anyone else who might be able to dig through their memories & just kinda confirm this for me...

Back around 1974, I used to wake up on early Sunday mornings to a radio show called, (I think) 'Mountain Echoes'...It was syndicated from somewhere that I don't remember (which probably means that it originally aired at some time other than 5am on Sunday in Detroit),,,but all they played was bluegrass Gospel...And I mean Bluegrass & Gospel...It was hosted by a woman (very ahead of it's time, come to think about it)...

So, I was just wondering if anyone remembers anything similar????

Midnite

Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cal:
The Renfro Valley Barn Dance
and
Renfro Valley Gatherin'

Hi folks-
Itís rare that I wake up at 04:15 am.
But on Sunday morning, I turned on my am/fm clock radio, and tuned in to my local am radio station WJR 760, to listen to the tail end of The Midnight Trucking Network.

At 05:00, a really warm show from KY started, and really got my attention:
The Renfro Valley Gatherin'.
Itís only a half hour show, but a rare find of down home Country, Gospel, and Bluegrass Music. Many of these tunes date as far back as the 30ís.

















[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 03-06-2006).]
</font>




------------------
Satchel was right...Something is gaining on me....
www.jackcouldntmakeit.com


Satchel was right...Something is gaining on me....
http://www.jackcouldntmakeit.com
#163936 - 03/07/06 12:01 AM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 401
Midnite Bob Offline
Serious Contributor
Midnite Bob  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 401
D.C.
Cal,

I'm afraid that I just had a Homer Simpson moment (duoh!!!!)

WJR...760.....I'm thinking J.P. McCarthy???, or was that another station...

What I do remember, is that, as an adult, and doing a lot of travelling,,,whenever I was headed back to Detroit, on a summer's evening, I knew that I was getting close when I flipped the stations and heard Ernie Harwell's voice...."A short foul ball, down the right baseline, into the stands and caught by a young boy from Kalamazoo."...

Thanks, Cal, for the memories...

Midnite

Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cal:

But on Sunday morning, I turned on my am/fm clock radio, and tuned in to my local am radio station WJR 760, to listen to the tail end of The Midnight Trucking Network.


















[This message has been edited by Cal (edited 03-06-2006).][/B]</font>




------------------
Satchel was right...Something is gaining on me....
www.jackcouldntmakeit.com


Satchel was right...Something is gaining on me....
http://www.jackcouldntmakeit.com
#163937 - 03/07/06 12:39 AM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline
Top 200 Poster
Cal  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Allen Park, MI
Hi Liz-
Wow!
Thats cool my thread brought back some of your fond memories of your dad, Kentucky, and the music your family liked so much.
I love KY too.
Yes; that is the place my thread refers to.
That music can really grab ya.
Cinci is a real sight to see; I love the sights when I drive through.

Cal

#163938 - 03/07/06 12:46 AM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline
Top 200 Poster
Cal  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Allen Park, MI
Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Midnite Bob:
Hi Cal,

Back around 1974, I used to wake up on early Sunday mornings to a radio show called, (I think) 'Mountain Echoes'...It was syndicated from somewhere that I don't remember (which probably means that it originally aired at some time other than 5am on Sunday in Detroit),,,but all they played was bluegrass Gospel...And I mean Bluegrass & Gospel...It was hosted by a woman (very ahead of it's time, come to think about it)...

So, I was just wondering if anyone remembers anything similar????

Midnite

</font>


Hi Bob-
I am not familiar with the "Mountain Echoes" show, but WJR 760 used to play a show broadcasted out of West Virginia, that played mountain music.
I have not heard it for a while, and don't know the name, but it played on either Saturday, or Sunday afternoons.
I'll keep an ear out.

Cal

#163939 - 03/07/06 01:25 AM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 401
Midnite Bob Offline
Serious Contributor
Midnite Bob  Offline
Serious Contributor

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 401
D.C.
Cal,

Working through my memories,,,I realized that the show was, indeed, on Saturday afternoons, not Sunday mornings...

The details don't really matter,,, but the music does....Thanks

Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cal:
Hi Bob-
I am not familiar with the "Mountain Echoes" show, but WJR 760 used to play a show broadcasted out of West Virginia, that played mountain music.
I have not heard it for a while, and don't know the name, but it played on either Saturday, or Sunday afternoons.
I'll keep an ear out.

Cal
</font>




------------------
Satchel was right...Something is gaining on me....
www.jackcouldntmakeit.com


Satchel was right...Something is gaining on me....
http://www.jackcouldntmakeit.com
#163940 - 03/07/06 01:26 AM Re: The Renfro Valley Barndance Show  
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Cal Offline
Top 200 Poster
Cal  Offline
Top 200 Poster

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,574
Allen Park, MI
Quote
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Midnite Bob:
Cal,

I'm afraid that I just had a Homer Simpson moment (duoh!!!!)

WJR...760.....I'm thinking J.P. McCarthy???, or was that another station...

What I do remember, is that, as an adult, and doing a lot of travelling,,,whenever I was headed back to Detroit, on a summer's evening, I knew that I was getting close when I flipped the stations and heard Ernie Harwell's voice...."A short foul ball, down the right baseline, into the stands and caught by a young boy from Kalamazoo."...

Thanks, Cal, for the memories...

Midnite

</font>


It's a pleasure Bob-
And you are correct; regarding J.P. McCarthy.
J.P. was at WJR for 30 years, passing away
in 1995.
"Let's get this turkey on the road" was his signature.
Ernie Harwell, in my estimation, is one of most most well recognized radio broadcasting voices ever.
Currently Paul Harvey, "And that's the rest of the story," Paul W. Smith, Frank Beckman, and Mitch Albom, are the stations current heavy weights.
Warren Pierce, and David Newman, were two greats also.

Cal


------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/calskomski

/forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F163934%2Fre-the-renfro-valley-barndance-show.html
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0