en What resources have been most helpful - Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards
leftleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftbyleftalt-1 alvt">
The Seeds Would Grow
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
The Winner
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:14 PM
Envious Heart
by beechnut79. 09/08/21 12:10 PM
The Voyager
by Gerry. 09/08/21 07:05 AM
"Not Just A Melody.".
by JAPOV. 09/07/21 09:51 PM
This old dog
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:54 AM
How Fast Are You Going (When You're Standing Still
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:40 AM
Lazing in the Sun
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:35 AM
"I Need A Cadillac....Jack!"
by beechnut79. 09/07/21 10:33 AM
Pedal & Synth Expo Oct.2-3, 2021 Free, Outdoors
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/06/21 02:24 PM
Resource List (In Progress)
by Brian Austin Whitney. 09/06/21 12:40 AM
Blending Political Discourse, Conspiracy Theories,
by WilliamMahler. 09/05/21 09:49 PM
Eco-Heroes Contest, Artists, Lower Emissions
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/05/21 01:16 PM
"How Songs Get Cut" with Rand Bishop
by Gary E. Andrews. 09/04/21 08:54 PM
Rivers of Destiny
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 07:59 PM
my recording set up
by Bill Draper. 09/04/21 06:00 PM
They Live On
by rpirone. 09/04/21 05:51 PM
leftTop Posters(All Time)left
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#163554 - 02/17/06 11:19 PM What resources have been most helpful  
Bob Cushing Offline
Bob Cushing  Offline

Top 100 Poster

cincinnati oh usa
As an indie artist, what resources have been most helpful to your career? Heres a few of mine in no particular order: JPF{Of course!}
CDBaby,Myspace,IndieBible, Music Phone Book,Sonicbids,Java musik. Hope I'm not forgetting anyone. It's nice to know that in an industry full of scams, that there are LEGIT people out there!

------------------
bc

[This message has been edited by bcushing (edited 02-24-2006).]

bc
#163555 - 02/18/06 01:17 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
David Wright Offline
Top 200 Poster
David Wright  Offline
Top 200 Poster

God

#163556 - 02/18/06 08:04 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
Bob Cushing Offline
Bob Cushing  Offline

Top 100 Poster

cincinnati oh usa
Good one David!

------------------
bc

bc
#163557 - 02/18/06 04:48 PM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
Joe Wrabek (D) Offline
Top 40 Poster
Joe Wrabek (D)  Offline
Top 40 Poster

Garibaldi, OR USA
In my end of the business, it's all PEOPLE. People are in the audiences, people get me the gigs, people listen to and maybe one day will buy the CDs.

Aside from the people I've run into and rounded up on my own, my biggest and best sources of helpful people have been JPF and Soundclick. There's a couple of other songwriters' boards I subscribe to (and one of them I also use for feedback on stuff I've written), but you guys are tops.

And yes, I suppose God had something to do with it, too. When I lived in little Huntington, Oregon, I ran into (and played some with) a retired professional lead guitarist, who told me once, "Son, God gave you a gift. If you don't use it, God's gonna take it away." I try always to keep that in mind.

Joe
www.soundclick.com/bands/7/joewrabek_music.htm

#163558 - 02/19/06 12:32 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
Barkin' Barney Offline
Serious Contributor
Barkin' Barney  Offline
Serious Contributor

Clearwater, Florida
i agree joe! jpf and sounclick have been my main sources. and of course the folks that know my songs better than i do! i love my little open mic tour every wed. i sell cd's and meet new folks every week! life is good! good topic . barn.

------------------
www.barkinbarney.com

#163559 - 02/19/06 03:12 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
Johnny Daubert Offline
Top 25 Poster
Johnny Daubert  Offline
Top 25 Poster

New Jersey, USA
Brian Austin Whitney as a huge help for me in several ways, professionally and personally. Many people on JPF boards! Look at the post I have had and see the hundreds of replies from Sub, Emily, Joe, Joro, Kaley, Steve, bc, S.DEE, Graham, Bob, John, Russ from his "Pieces" album for some pro insight, and MANY more of course.

At the JPF showcases, I got great tips from Greg and Charlene Johnson, Steve Bacon, Marty Heller, Mike Massino, Linda from Maine, Vincent James, Mick Chooder, Kevin from Pennsauken, and so many more I wish my memory of names was as good as their advice.

Steve Butler from Smash Palace is a constant sourse of pro info and a good long time friend from nearby. He has had major label signings, four publishing deals, 200 radio station plays, and toured Europe with The Beatles new Cavern being a stop!

Ascap for some of the film scoring info and other business related info. (publishing, writing).

Regent University for film scoring.

My bandmate friends now, Jimmy Calore, John Marnie, and Dennis Rooney, who teach me more things everyday than they realize.

And from my past, my DAD and The Beatles, (still), and all music I can remember feeling. My accordian teacher Mr. Cranko of years past that I still hear in my head his voice, "Now play it with your heart Johnny!"
At 7, 8, and 9, I didn't know what he meant. Now I do, and use that resource always. It makes up for lack of stage experience. (working on that by using the resourse of video tape and shows like behind the music on VH1. Beatles Anthology too for various studies of playing and performing.

The creator of energy, music, and love! Not to be least of course.

Many resourses to look to, and to remember!

Thank you all, and to those of you who know you have been one to me also.

You're all in my heart and soul, and that also means you're in my songs!

John Daubert

[This message has been edited by dhsongs (edited 02-18-2006).]

Actually a Member Since 1996 or 97 (Number One Hundred Something).
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=1409522

#163560 - 02/19/06 05:06 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
beatnik_turtle Offline
Casual Observer
beatnik_turtle  Offline
Casual Observer

Chicago, IL USA
There's lots more I'd add, actually.

The Future of Music Coalition is a good organization, and has a particularly useful site. ( futureofmusic.org ).

Everyone who has any interest in how the economics of the music industry for a band should read Steve Albini's piece "The Problem With Music" ( http://www.negativland.com/albini.html )

And I thought I understood what PR meant until I read this article: ( http://www.paulgraham.com/submarine.html ) Now I know the difference between PR and marketing, and how PR works. It's not music specific, but indies need to do this ourselves, so this is handy.

I could keep going, but I've already collected useful links on my bands website in a section devoted to indies. So it's quicker to give you this. ( http://beatnikturtle.com/index.php?id=guidelinks )

We also wrote a free "What we've learned so far" guide that you might find handy. ( http://beatnikturtle.com/index.php?id=theguide )

It's definitely a good idea to collect all of the useful stuff in one place. Good idea for a post!

-Randy from Beatnik Turtle

------------------
See the The Indie Band Survival Guide : Everything we've learned so far.

[This message has been edited by beatnik_turtle (edited 02-19-2006).]

[This message has been edited by beatnik_turtle (edited 02-19-2006).]

See the The Indie Band Survival Guide : Everything we've learned so far.
#163561 - 02/20/06 12:53 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
lizzorn Offline
lizzorn  Offline

Serious Contributor

Morrow, Ohio USA
Indie and online radio stations.
When I first started putting some of my music on the internet (via. my website)...
My first web fans were folks at internet radio. They played my music, were very supportive, and some of them have become good friends.
I can go just about anywhere in the US and probably know someone that I have met through indie radio.

So, I guess it is PEOPLE, for me too...

Plus: Being that I also have an internet radio station, I am sending the energy back, by supporting other artists. So its a good Karma kinda thing.

L.

#163562 - 02/20/06 01:32 AM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
Mike Dunbar Offline
JPF Mentor
Mike Dunbar  Offline
JPF Mentor

Nashville Tennessee
I use www.clubnashville.com all the time. It has lists, addresses and links to artists, organizations, agents, studios, producers, publishers and so on...mostly country, but it's worth checking out for anything.

Mike

------------------
You have to practice improvisation. -Art Tatum

Mike Dunbar Music

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music

#163563 - 02/24/06 01:08 PM Re: What resources have been most helpful  
spiritual Offline
Serious Contributor
spiritual  Offline
Serious Contributor

Boston MA
God is my number one resource. Next is my wife. She has truly been a partner in life and looks out for my best interests when I'm making music business decisions. Networking online and off has been of the utmost importance. I've found that if I can deal with people I can get resources. I have a networking group of entrepreneurs that I am a part of offline. They have helped me expand my thinking and even physically helped at my gigs(cd sales, moving equipment, driving...) Of course I help them with their endeavors. All it cost anybody is time and energy. JPF has been phenomenal in the short time I have been registered. The wisdom of this group has been helpful and some of you members have purchased CD's and hooked me up on your webpages! Thank you! JPF was the first and only networking site that produced any results for me. That's why I'm still here. Finally I'd have to say CDbaby.com. I've made more sales at CDbaby then in some brick and mortar locations! The digital distribution has helped tremendously with exposure and search engine placement. Also the articles at Cdbaby are very helpful. God bless!

http://cdbaby.com/cd/sporter2

"Singer, Producer, Songwriter"
http://www.stanleyporter.net
/forum/forumhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.jpfolks.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.php%2Ftopics%2F163561%2Fre-what-resources-have-been-most-helpful.html