Hi MacRian,

Welcome to JPF. Here's a good link on the different types of mics.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2509.html

Also if you check this forum, you'll find a lot of info under the post "Condenser vs. Dynamic Mics"

Asking someone what's a good mic for vocals is like asking what's a comfortable style of shoe. It depends on the individual. Are you using it for your voice primarily? Or are you looking for a "one mic does it all" for a studio?

Both the cad and the rode are fine mics.

I did a session recently where we listened to several mics to choose for the lead vocal. We listened without knowing which mics were which and all agreed on a Nady ribbon mic, I think it was a $300 mic, over an $800 AKG and a $3,000 Neumann. Does that mean the Nady's a better mic than the others? No, only that it sounded better on that person's voice in that room and on that mic pre amp (and, for that matter, on those speakers).

Sorry to not have a quick, simple answer. Best if you can try both of these mics out on the type of equipment you'll be using and then make up your mind. If you're buying for a "do it all" mic for your studio, you might not even want a tube mic but a multi pattern large diaphragm condenser mic which will sound "flatter" than a tube mic (tubes...also known as valves...have the reputation of coloring the sound).

If you're set on either the cad or the rode, one simple answer is flip a coin. If you're like me you'll be owning several mics before too long anyway.

All the Best,
Mike

You've got to know your limitations. I don't know what your limitations are. I found out what mine were when I was twelve. I found out that there weren't too many limitations, if I did it my way. -Johnny Cash

It's only music.
-niteshift

Mike Dunbar Music