Hi from a newbie--I just registered on this forum today.

I'm just wondering who else is here? It looks like this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. The last posts were months ago!

I moved to the Seattle area in the past year. My husband grew up here, and I've always liked the city, but I've never lived here. How is the local market? Who has their finger on the pulse?

I'm a published author (novels, nonfiction, fiction and poetry) and would like to figure out how to get my songs 'out there' as well. The music has always been there, long before the story & novel writing came along, but I haven't figured out the "how-to's" yet--which is why I'm here.

I'm an amateur vocalist and songwriter with a strong voice and solid range (3 octaves), but I've never recorded, so I don't have a soundbite to link to. I have amateur experience in my previous area, and have good reviews and compliments whenever I sing. I've debuted about three of my songs in public venues so far, with good response from the audience. But that's as far as I've come.

It seems to me a lot of the basics are the same as in the book-publishing world--the importance of self-promotion and marketing, watch out for scams & ripoffs and selling the wrong rights to the wrong people, etc.--concepts I'm familiar with as an author. The songwriting copyright/performance rights issues look a lot more complicated, though. Can anyone recommend some good books that walk a newbie through the process of getting started and what to watch out for?

I'm married with a large, young family (6 kids 15 to 4), so I'm not ready to go full-time for a couple of years yet, but I'd like to get my feet wet in the meantime and learn the ropes. It's one of those things I know I'll regret for the rest of my life if I don't try.

It would be great if there are local chapter meetings/get-togethers or things like that. It'd be nice to put faces to names eventually.

If anyone has standard publishing questions (books/fiction/poetry), I can help there. Just ask me. :-) I co-wrote a book on the basics with a bunch of other author friends.

Nice to meet you all--I'm looking forward to getting to know you. I have more of a tendency to talk too much than to sit around and lurk. Hopefully my foot won't spend toooooo much time in my mouth!

I think I'll cross-post this on one of the more general boards with more traffic--my apologies if any of you are reading this twice.

Linda

------------------
Linda Adams
www.alyssastory.com