Funny i dont bet the horses. It was my earliest exposure to it too. We used to go to meadowlands to bet harness racing back in the 80'S.

I recall great jockeys like John Campbel and Catello Manzi, Bill Odonnel. We used to bet the minimum. And always on the favorites, if it won youd when 2 bucks plus your bet back if that. Fun for a while, but seemed impossible to me to win. I figured in football you have two teams, either one team wins or the other team wins, in horse racing sometimes you have 12 horses!

Slowly got into them little white tickets, passed around at school, you had to pick four football winners or get nothing at all. I slowly realized that was rediculous too, hard enough to win one game

I caught the bug after high school. Dad never wanted it, he used to tell me the story of the only time he bet the horses, "My horse was way out in first, and he fell.. and didnt finish, and i lost, I never bet again" lol ok Dad pretty compelling...

But yeah, its so common place in new jersey now, I was on a train a few weeks ago, and two women were talking about a game they were going to bet on their phone. They asked me what I thought only cause I was a guy,, they really didnt know who they were talking to lol

I didnt have a strong opinion, so i said go with your gut or youll be sorry.

Last edited by Fdemetrio; 06/03/21 06:52 PM.