Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Originally Posted by Fdemetrio

Mike, if you told somebody what you REALLY thought of their stuff, you would have no business. I understand you work with what you got, and try to maximize its potential, nothing wrong with that, but there's still dishonesty going on. It doesnt mean your opinion is gold, it just exposes the dishonesty.

Even if its not about business, you wont critique somebody negatively, because you know these people, and you dont want to hurt them. Also understandable. If my niece asks me how her singing was, i would never say anything negative, i may say you should try this or that. But since I love her, and want her to be happy and keep dreaming, I dont do that. If she was somebody on a forum asking for honest opinions, id tend to say it more directly, so it can be thought about and worked on. When people are coming here, they are getting this unconditional love, because they know nobody is going to challenge them.

FD, there you go again telling me what I think and how I relate to my clients. And what I do and how I do it because I don't want to hurt them, You are completely wrong. With clients, this stuff takes place BEHIND THE SCENES, most of the time. and with some clients, more than others, based on the condition of the lyric or song.

You seem to have a problem with the idea that life experience gives people different psychologies and you just won't accept that. I work better with clients that I am more friendly with. Partially because it is easier to open up and be honest. I stopped critiquing publicly out of sheer time-crunch-problems.

When I work on a song for a client, I tend to fall in love with that song, flaws and all, so that when I do champion it, on the boards, I am being sincere, because whatever problems a more objective listener may have, I have been swayed by the material. It's good for a producer to love the material he works with, and I am fortunate to be working with many talented clients. There is NO DECEPTION involved in this process. It has ZERO to do with the fact that there is overlap between friends and clients. Absolutely no conflict of interest. In fact, I feel it is more my DUTY to be honest, when I am both client and friend, because that's who I am. I tell my friends what I think. It os called being a mature human being, and trusting that if the friendship is strong enough, it will not break with a little honesty.

There more you continue to tell me what my life experience is, the sillier you sound.

Mike

Life experience is not all unique. Songwriters write from what they think the situation is. Maybe they are wrong maybe they are right. But its not impossible to imagine something through somebody elses shoes. And these are common emotions, all we need do is give it a try. Post songs without anyone knowing who posted, or who commented. Emotions may still play a role. Better yet, put them on youtube, people there have no problem saying what they think, that is, if we can get enough people to view it, and not views from people we know.