JPF Home Page
Posted By: ben willis CD Baby same day sales? - 10/19/08 02:01 AM
I noticed that my last few digital sales show the same sales and report date. In other words , it looks like CD Baby is reporting sales the same day that the sale is made instead of the 2-3 month waiting period. This was for Rhapsody and e-music. Has anybody else noticed this? Ben
Posted By: Emily Sanders Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/19/08 05:57 AM
I have seen the same thing..not sure what gives with CD Baby these days...as some of the sales reporting seems to have been reported a lot later than I would have expected....hmmm..

Emily
Posted By: ben willis Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/19/08 07:14 AM
Imagine getting paid the same day as the sale was made. That's almost like "Real".
Posted By: FreewheelNat Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/19/08 09:28 PM
Yes, I've noticed that too but it's been much smaller amounts than the other sales for me. A while ago, they displayed a message saying they were making adjustements in their system so it was better. I thought that maybe these small amounts represented adjustements they had done, and therefore weren't corresponding to a specific sale.

Posted By: ben willis Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/20/08 02:33 AM
Yes Natalie, I went through the adjustment and made a buck or two, but the latest statement shows a download and a couple of paid listens from Rhapsody and e-music with everything occuring on the same date.
Posted By: Andrew Aversa Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/21/08 05:20 PM
I think this occurs if the reporting from the retailer is not accurate to the day. For example, the retailer might not report specific sales dates, but rather sales through a quarter or other time period. Thus CD Baby will just report the sale as happening on the day of the report, when it actually occurred sometime within a given time period.
Posted By: Michael Borges (D) Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/22/08 10:22 PM
Good question. I think Andrew has it right... CD Baby probably uses a REPORT date to bring closure for a certain period of sales by any given distributor, so the actual SALES dates will have been earlier than the report date.

It's probably good accounting practice to have these sales reports end every so often, for example monthly or quarterly, etc.

Michael
Posted By: Lafe Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/25/08 05:17 PM
As you may already know, CD Baby is now owned by DiscMakers, and will be undergoing constant change (like the rest of us).
Some insight by Moses Avalon here: CD BABY: BUYOUT OR BAILOUT?
http://www.mosesavalon.com/mosesblog/2008/09/cd-baby-buyout-or-bailout.

-lafe
Posted By: Kevin Edward Rose Re: CD Baby same day sales? - 10/26/08 11:40 AM
Lafe, thank you for posting that. It was very interesting.

Everyone, be sure to click on Part 2 of the article after you have finished reading this. I am particularly intrigued by the prospect of "a service where artists can easily secure mechanical licenses for digital sales on a pay-as-you-go model."
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards