JPF Home Page
Posted By: thewifey Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/03/04 03:30 AM
I received an email from a "Tim Sweeney", TSA Music inviting me to view his companies site, and to send them a CD. Just wanting to see if this is legit? Any insights?
Posted By: David Wright Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/03/04 06:26 AM
Think about it for a moment..
Most publishers and Record Companies do not even take unsolicited material. They recieve hundreds if not thousands of songs an CD's every year. Why would they be poking around for talent when all the talent in the world begs outside their door (day in, day out)

chances are they are trying to sell you a service and saw your email on a song posting site.

DAvid
Posted By: thewifey Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/03/04 06:46 AM
Thanks...that's what I kinda thought, but just wanted to get another opinion. I've been sitting on it for a week.
Posted By: David Wright Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/03/04 09:17 PM
Hi,

I just poked around Tim Sweenys site and it looks like they charge about $1000 dollars for
artist promotion.
Yikes...
Just keep sending your material to pulishers instead..

DAvid
Posted By: scottandrew Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/03/04 11:24 PM
Tim Sweeney is a music consultant specializing in bands and performing artists (not necessarily songwriters seeking cuts). I've never met him, but I know people who've attended his workshops and worked one-on-one with him, and I own one of his books . He writes tons of articles for sites like getsigned.com. Click here and scroll down to the bottom to read some of his stuff.

The bottom line, in my opinion: Sweeney has good ideas, and the word on the street is that he's credible. Remember, though, that he's a consultant, and like all consultants, he charges big bucks for his personalized attention, and there's no guarantee that his strategies will work any better than your own.

That said, I think his free articles are well worth reading. Try out his ideas first and see if they're right for your career situation.

------------------
Scott Andrew and the Walkingbirds
Lo-fi DIY acoustic pop
Hear it: http://www.scottandrew.com/main/music
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/04/04 12:15 AM
Scott,

We must be hearing VERY different "words on the street." I've never had a single postive report on him or his services in 6 years. I've had several really negative ones though.

Brian
Posted By: scottandrew Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/04/04 03:20 AM
Or maybe from different streets entirely. The only negative reviews I've heard were from people who didn't think his ideas were particularly new or effective. But again, I don't know of anyone who's put up the $1000 fee. He could very well be a huckster.

But that's the way consultants work in any industry. It's a gamble. You pay them, they give you a strategy, and you hope it works. If it fails, too bad. It's a good way to go broke, whether you're swindled or not.
Posted By: thewifey Re: Who is Tim Sweeney??? - 03/04/04 05:56 AM
I've put the questions to a couple other friends in the radio industry so I'll let you know what they have to say.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards