JPF Home Page

ASCAP International Royalties...

Posted By: John Lawrence Schick

ASCAP International Royalties... - 02/10/20 03:31 PM

International royalty statement came in today. Who does all this accounting? So many details. I had 75 pages of royalties. Massive accounting. This must give an army of accountants job security. Amazing!

John wink
Posted By: Everett Adams

Re: ASCAP International Royalties... - 02/11/20 11:41 AM

75 pages, that is a lot. When I get my statement from CCLI it is only about a dozen pages, and that is for churches all over the Christian world, more especially where English is the main language. Congratulations, with me, I find it interesting reading to see what songs got played the most and where. The bottom line may not be great but it is something and I know my songs are being heard. That is my main aim with Gospel songs, getting heard. Hopefully touching someone to bring them into God kingdom.

Re: ASCAP International Royalties... - 02/11/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Everett Adams
75 pages, that is a lot. When I get my statement from CCLI it is only about a dozen pages, and that is for churches all over the Christian world, more especially where English is the main language. Congratulations, with me, I find it interesting reading to see what songs got played the most and where. The bottom line may not be great but it is something and I know my songs are being heard. That is my main aim with Gospel songs, getting heard. Hopefully touching someone to bring them into God kingdom.

Yeah, it just amazes me - all the detail.

Best, John wink
Posted By: Moosesong

Re: ASCAP International Royalties... - 02/11/20 04:18 PM

I suspect that computers do 99 percent of the work. if their system is set up like I think, each song will have a code associated with it. each songwriter is in their data base, each song is tied to the songwriter in the database and what the royalty rate is. Each radio station sends in a list of codes of the songs they have played. once a month a computer program goes thru the list of all songs played everywhere, matches up songs with songwrters and royalty rates and prints out statements. near zero human intervention when things go smoothly.

when things don't go smoothly, it can take hundreds of man hours to fix it. one of the worst case snenarios might be its discovered the royalty rate was wrong on a group of songs and has been wrong for the last 3 years and a program needs to be written to go back over those 3 years of data and calculate the extra amount that is owed.

the songwriters need codes or account numbers because misspellings of real names totally confound computer programs, and there could be 97 songwriters named John Smith.
The songs need codes because there might be 97 zillion songs titled "I really love you" and even the same songwriter might have different versions of the same titled song. like
I really love you
I really love you(and this time I mean it)
I really love you(and this time I really mean it)
I really love you(and I promise not to hit on your way hotter sister anymore)

Re: ASCAP International Royalties... - 02/14/20 01:19 AM

You're probably right about the computer doing most the work Moose. Though most my royalties come from TV, not radio. And the cue sheets have to be turned in by real people.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Pat Hardy

Re: ASCAP International Royalties... - 02/27/20 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by John Lawrence Schick
International royalty statement came in today. Who does all this accounting? So many details. I had 75 pages of royalties. Massive accounting. This must give an army of accountants job security. Amazing!

John wink

You're doing a lot better than me. I got a pdf file with a few lines on it, and about 2 bucks.
© 2020 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards