JPF Home Page
Posted By: RonnieDean I have a question about cd submissions. - 01/19/18 07:44 PM
Hey Brian,

For CD Submissions do you want a CD with a group of songs or just the one we think will fly?
Sorry this have probably been asked over and over and over and over.

TIA

:Ron
Hi Ron,

We're not accepting any new music at this time. We're overdue finishing up the current music awards and next time I doubt we'll be able to keep accepting CD's at all. We'll announce the entry guidelines once we launch another awards, likely not until 2019.

Brian
When I saw you did this I thought. Oh my, how on earth do they sort though the onslaught of stuff they must be sent.

I'm late to every party that was ever thrown.
Well, we don't ever do it every year. It usually takes 2-3 years just to get through ALL the music using volunteers and choosing winners. This year is the first time we've done it since I had 3 massive strokes in 2010 just after the last awards (and yes, they were in part responsible due to sheer exhaustion once they were done). We've hit an unfortunate wall this time around and I have had to step away from pushing it home multiple times since our intended finish in November. I am optimistically hoping we can finish late March into April, but there is still much work to do and currently my Mom is very ill so it may simply get put on hold again.
What's Mom's name? We'll put her on our prayer list.
There is something instructive in this.

IT takes Brian YEARS to go through all the submissions for his awards. And physically he really can't do it anymore. Now this is one relatively small web site. Can you imagine having a publishing production, record label, studio, radio station, etc. and have hundreds of CD's and submissions A DAY? THOUSANDS A WEEK?
AND anytime in this day and age where you accept something from anyone you don't know, you run the risk of a lawsuit on a variety of issues.

Think about that when you are thinking about "MAILING SOMETHING IN" to anybody, any service, any person you don't personally know.
Instructive thread. Thanks for all you do Brian. Hope you are feeling better.

MAB
I am hanging in there Marc. Looking forward to putting it all behind me.

The awards discussed above were finished this summer, then of course I got very sick (not because of the awards this time around) and I am still dealing with it so the winners haven't been announced. I will either be there for it in person, or someone else will be posting it in my stead.

We got 240K songs and 17.7K albums this time around which was a fraction of last time. It was still so much that to honestly have many thousands of people listen to it all over 6 rounds total it took nearly 3 years of listening to get nominees then another year to pick winners. Just the nominees alone take one person over one thousand hours to listen to them all (again.. JUST the nominees!!!).

Trying to get "found" by a stranger is unrealistic. Paying someone (anyone) to help you succeed is a waste of your money 95% of the time (there are a tiny number of legit services and experts worth the money). That's just being honest. People can help you write better songs. They can even honestly get it in front of someone buying (in the many ways stuff is commercially used), but they can't make you "successful" for any amount of money you could afford. It's a lie. Only finely crafted songs by connected pros or the occasional wildcard random media created "find" can find success 99% of the time.

Brian
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards