JPF Home Page
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick OS System Question... - 11/09/16 05:30 PM
I have a Mac OS 10.5.8. I need a Kontakt 5.3 Player with specs for OS 10.6 or higher. Is there a possibility my OS will be compatible with this. And... can I do any harm by installing it to test it out? I have both Kontakt 2 & 4 at present, but I need the higher version for new samples.

Thanks for any help, John smile
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: OS System Question... - 11/09/16 08:43 PM
Hi John,

Native Instruments software have never harmed anything in my computer, and I have their Komplete. Kontakt is a pretty stable little monster.

Just to be safe, can you set a "restore point" to roll your computer back, in case it does mess things up?

I am a PC man, with Windows 7, so take my confidence in you safely using Kontakt 5.3 player with a tiny grain of salt..but when I feel anxiety like you are, I just make sure I can "undo" whatever it is I'm doing..

More than likely what will happen is the Kontakt player simply won't open, if you need a more recent version of Mac to operate it, but it won't actually casue any harm. But let's keep our fingers crossed it works.

Aren't their Mac updates that can upgrade your OS?

Have fun..

Mike
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: OS System Question... - 11/09/16 08:52 PM
Thanks Mike! I'll proceed with caution. I have both Kontakt 2 and 4. They don't compete with each other. I needed Kontakt 4 when I purchased World Instruments. Both are selective in choosing the samples they represent.

I have the same question on the Logic Pro forum and with the Kontakt techs. Hopefully I'll here from them soon.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: OS System Question... - 11/09/16 09:16 PM
It seems like updating your Mac OS (if that's possible, from 10.5 to 10.6) is one solution, provided that Macs are "upgradable" like Windows is..through updates of some kind..
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: OS System Question... - 11/09/16 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
It seems like updating your Mac OS (if that's possible, from 10.5 to 10.6) is one solution, provided that Macs are "upgradable" like Windows is..through updates of some kind..

Yes it's upgradable. But the Mac techs told me it would probably effect my 4,000 Logic Pro projects - YIKES!

Received this from the Kontakt techies: Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 5 Player are not compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 at all. The only Mac OS X version which supports Kontakt 5 / Kontakt 5 Player "5.3.1" is Mac OS X 10.7. Unfortunately, there is no work around to this limitation. You would need to use the recommended version of Kontakt with the sample library, so this would most likely require a higher operating system version.

I'm dealing with Kirk Hunter in making an exchange. I once let him use one of my piano & violin tracks as a Kirk Hunter violin demo. Hopefully that will give me some leverage.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Ray E. Strode Re: OS System Question... - 11/15/16 07:42 PM
Well,
Usually if some Software is not Compatible with your system it will tell you by putting a message on your screen.

A few weeks ago I got a message back from my Book submission. Because I don't have the program in my computer I couldn't open it. After some wrangling in my wife's computer we got it open. Same thing with our Homeowner's Association. I think the program is Microsoft Office of which I don't have. I didn't see where I would need it. And so it goes.
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: OS System Question... - 11/15/16 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ray E. Strode
Well,
Usually if some Software is not Compatible with your system it will tell you by putting a message on your screen.

It may have Ray, but there's too much to lose if it didn't.

John smile
Posted By: Jody Whitesides Re: OS System Question... - 11/18/16 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by John Lawrence Schick
I have a Mac OS 10.5.8. I need a Kontakt 5.3 Player with specs for OS 10.6 or higher. Is there a possibility my OS will be compatible with this. And... can I do any harm by installing it to test it out? I have both Kontakt 2 & 4 at present, but I need the higher version for new samples.

Thanks for any help, John smile

No, if it requires 10.6 - you will need 10.6. There's no real workaround for that. The question becomes, is your Mac capable of running 10.6? If so, that was a nice stable OS and it would behoove you to update. Especially since that was about 5 or more years ago now that macOS is up to 10.12.

And Apple doesn't really tell you before hand if old software is still going to be compatible with any OS. That's where you'll need to read up on your software notices.
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: OS System Question... - 11/19/16 03:23 AM
Thanks Jody. Plenty to think about.

Best, John smile
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards