JPF Home Page
Posted By: Nigel Quin Wireless headsets - 01/09/09 03:15 PM
Apart from my band stuff I have also started doing comedy sketch shows and am considering buying a wireless microphone headset. However, if I bought one I would probably use it for music gigs too.

Has anyone got any experience/recommendations of wireless headsets? Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Nige smile
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Wireless headsets - 01/09/09 07:56 PM
Hi Nigel I use them all the time. The latest is just a small bud cheek mic that looks like a wart on your face....but sounds brilliant.
Here is a link with advice and info on wireless systems.
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/microphones/wireless_buying-guide.php

Most quality makes do a headset radio mic so buy what brand you prefer using.
Important things to consider are the quality of signal and signal range, diversity, Whether it is a licenced wavelength or not.
I do not know about the US but here in UK we have licenced and unlicensed wavelengths. Licenced means that this band can only be used by the licensee. Non licenced means that anybody like taxis, radio controlled toys etc etc etc can use the same wavelength. Most of the top makes use licenced so you do not get interference from these other apps. Nothing more embarrassing than "car 49 where are you" in the middle of a gig LOL
Shure and Audio Technica systems are licenced so that is what I would recommend.
As far as quality of sound is concerned they are as good as the wired models. Price wise start around £100 about £250 for a quality Shure system.
Posted By: Nigel Quin Re: Wireless headsets - 01/09/09 10:14 PM
Hi Jim

Thanks, that was very useful! It's funny you should mention the 'wart' things. I went to the pantomime last night (Oh yes I did!!) and all the main singers had them and they were fairly unobtrusive.

The ones I was looking at were the Audio Technica 700 series.

Thanks again

Nige smile
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Wireless headsets - 01/09/09 11:12 PM
Good choice. Ticks all the boxes. Great value for money at around £180
Posted By: Tom Shea Re: Wireless headsets - 01/14/09 07:22 PM
I was skeptical about the quality of the sound, and the reliability, but I bought a Shure mid-price system (about $400) for Justice to use and it has worked quite well.

Tom
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Wireless headsets - 01/15/09 02:15 PM
Hi Tom most modern wireless systems are very reliable and produce a great sound quality. When it comes down to choice of makes and models it very much is down to individual taste and of course budget. I have tried various and find that mics that suit my voice might not suit others and vice versa. My advice to anybody is try out as many as possible and pick the one you like best. Do not buy any mic without hearing it first.
Posted By: Nigel Quin Re: Wireless headsets - 01/16/09 05:31 PM
I actually bought one of the AT 2000 series. The shop said I could take it, try it out and if I didn't like it could take it back. I have not gigged with it yet but I did try out at home and it worked really well, even through walls smile - I was impressed with the sound quality.

Sorry.. must go.... Taxi for who?...... wink
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Wireless headsets - 01/16/09 11:43 PM
Hey Nigel remember to turn it off when you go to the loo. LOL
Posted By: Dak Lander Re: Wireless headsets - 01/26/09 07:20 AM
Don't forget Countryman Microphones. They are probably the least obtrusive mics and work very well. You can get at least some of their models through Sweetwater and other online places.
Posted By: share2jason Re: Wireless headsets - 01/02/14 11:01 AM
just got a website for your reference where selling headphones and kinds of smartphones, tablets...hope you can find some good products you like...
Posted By: Fo1k Re: Wireless headsets - 11/26/18 02:46 PM
I've remained loyal to Sennheiser for some time now, just my two cents smile
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: Wireless headsets - 11/29/18 08:36 AM
Welcome to JPF Fo1k! I see your company sells acoustic foam. Are you a music creator or do you just sell studio foam?
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards