JPF Home Page
Posted By: Jeff Epstein Headphone leakage - 02/06/11 12:08 AM
This is embarassing....I recorded a great vocal I had to do several times to nail, but I wasn't listening carefully enough. I found in editing there is music leaking into the vocal from my headphones durng recording. It is very low, but it is audible, expecially at the end when everything stops but the drums.

Is there any EQ of FX thing I can do to get that out of the signal, or am I just screwed?
Posted By: Kevin Emmrich Re: Headphone leakage - 02/06/11 12:53 AM
If the music is part of the backing track, it probably won't be that noticeable to any one listening -- or at least it shouldn't be (it should just blend in). Now if it is a completely different song, that would be another story (ha, ha). Using fx to remove it would probably make it worse, don't worry about it.
Posted By: Jeff Epstein Re: Headphone leakage - 02/06/11 01:05 AM
I got it...there is just two little places where I pause and you hear the backing, and I can easily silence the vocal there. Should edit the track anyway, don't need all that lip smacking saliva heavy breathing anyway! LOL
Posted By: masterminds Re: Headphone leakage - 12/27/11 11:31 PM
EX29 Sound Isolating Headphones ......that solved most of my leakage issues....
Posted By: Scott Campbell Re: Headphone leakage - 12/27/11 11:57 PM
Not sure why this is a problem Jeff - assuming the leaked music is the same as will form the backing track and assuming it isn't TOO loud. I doubt it will even be detectable in the mix - to anyone but the most trained listener, anyway.

In any case, you'll probably screw up the vocal if you do much in the way of effects. Why not mix it in and see if there is a problem first?

Scott
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards