JPF Home Page
Posted By: Shayne Vaughan Mixing vocals - 03/02/07 07:12 AM
What technique(s) do you use when mixing vocals to music?

I generally mix what sounds good to me.

Do you mix what sounds good to you or is there an industry standard for each genre of music, for instance, vocal 10% volume above music, 20%, etc.?
Posted By: Shandy Re: Mixing vocals - 03/03/07 03:56 AM
"What sounds good," unfortunately, is not industry standard-- but should be.

The best technique is to close your eyes and push faders until it sounds right to you. Don't worry about dBs or apparent volume, just mix so it makes musical sense. You'll know it if the vocals are too loud or low in the mix.
Posted By: RJC Re: Mixing vocals - 03/03/07 04:11 PM
Throw up a CD with a song similiar to what your doing, that you admire. Reference it to get an idea of what will work well for your tune.
Posted By: Larry Williams Re: Mixing vocals - 03/04/07 08:46 PM
I don't know of any way to do a percentage comparison. As RJC suggests, comparing the vocal levels of your song against a commercial product would get you very close to a "de facto" standard.

Posted By: Shayne Vaughan Re: Mixing vocals - 03/10/07 07:46 AM
Thanks for all your replies.
Posted By: Larry Read Re: Mixing vocals - 03/10/07 11:08 PM
It's a personal choice. Like they have all said.
It also depends on how you feel about your voice....

I personally like my voice high in the mix because I want my lyrics to be heard and understood and I am a stronger vocalist than guitarist.

If the music is more the theme then pull it back.

To me music is there to help support my voice and lyrics.
A good song needs to be heard. Especially if your trying to sell the song based on the lyrics. hope this helps
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Mixing vocals - 03/12/07 01:43 PM
When mixing sounds we use two of the best mixers and audio analizers you can get. THEY ARE BOLTED ON EACH SIDE OF YOUR HEAD AND ARE CALLED EARS. Never mind pre-sets and industry standards, if it sounds good it is generally right. However to get everyone in the band to agree is almost impossible. The arguments we have had about the final mix are legendary. We usually have to compromise on settings. When no one is looking we all slyly tweak the sliders. It is actually quite funny watching this happen and yes feedback can be a terrible problem.
Posted By: Larry Read Re: Mixing vocals - 03/13/07 06:17 PM
As a Veteran Studio Recording Engineer I have heard many arguments as Big Jim stated over the mix. It seems every musician wants thier part to be the loudest.

Unless it's a insturmental the lead vocal should always be the front in any mix... mixed dead center.. if a solo by a guitarist is used.. for a bit it should be front and then pulled back again.

and he's totally correct as your ears are the key.. just compare your mix to one thats similar from any well known artist

Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Mixing vocals - 03/14/07 03:37 AM
Thanks Larry glad to see someone finally agrees with me on something.
Posted By: Richard Maclemale Re: Mixing vocals - 04/04/07 11:44 PM
Jumping on the thread late, but...

Two things I believe in...
1. Turn the song down as low as you can but still being able to clearly hear the instruments. If the vocals disappear, they're too soft.
2. Use your ears, but on a CD you should try for consistency among songs. It's jarring to hear one song where you're straining to hear the vocal, and then the next it's too loud.
Posted By: BIG JIM MERRILEES Re: Mixing vocals - 04/06/07 11:53 PM
Richard I kinda see your point but are we talking overall volume balance or vocals v instruments. Some songs sound better with instruments way in the background while others almost require vocals in the background. I use my ears and the feel of the song guides me on volumes. I have just listened to a few songs on Mp3 forum and most of them have a huge problem with balances not just vocals but instruments as well. One in particular had a brilliant blues guitar solo that was so much in the background you could hardly hear it. In another the vocals were crystal clear but the band sounded as if they were playing in a different building. Another one somebody was singing but I could not hear a word for the ott instrument volumes. Everybody has different likes and dislikes but you have to strike a happy medium. Each thing must be heard at the proper level in the proper proportions for the particular song. You keep mixing until everybody is NEARLY happy.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards