JPF Home Page

How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar?

Posted By: BB Wilbur

How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/10/03 02:54 PM

I thought this might be a fun topic. When you drop your pick into your acoustic guitar, how do you get it out? Do you turn your guitar upside down and shake it like mad? Or do you hold it flat, bouncing it up and down until the pick is directly under the hole and do a quick flip? Or are there any other new techniques for this old fashioned problem?

BB
Posted By: Melissa

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/10/03 05:02 PM

BB...
I can't tell you how many times I have dropped a pick in the sound hole....but I just shake the darned thing until it eventually falls out OR gets stuck somewhere in there..The hardest thing I ever had to get out was the electric pickup I dropped into the hole and it wasn't meant to be there....

Good topic...can't wait to see others reply..
Posted By: Ray E. Strode

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/10/03 05:30 PM

Well actually I don't use a pick. Er, ah, I have used the technique you describe. I shake the guitar until the pick is under the sound hole, do the quick flip, and hope for the best. It usually works. I have an ancient violin that the tuning peg came loose and I had a time getting that out. Now I need to have the violin refurbished but so far haven't done it.
Posted By: Graham Henderson (D)

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/10/03 07:03 PM

Picks don't cost much , and don't effect the sound so I would think it would be OK to just carry a few if ya suffer dropsey and when you are changing strings wack the vacum cleaner in the hole and get 'em all out to restock.
Yeah. Been told I am a deep thinker.
Graham

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/grahamhendersonmusic.htm

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/10/03 07:55 PM

Grahm... thank you for your post... it led to a major musical breakthrough!!! This is great news for all of us. First, the background:

I have always wondered where picks go when you loose them. I'm sure that somewhere in an alternate universe are stacks of single socks that have been "lost" in the drying machine. Right next to that is an even bigger pile of lost guitar picks.

Guitar picks must have a natural tendency to be attracted to one of two places: the alternate universe, or the sound hole of an acoustic guitar. So, if we actually STORED our spare picks INSIDE our guitars, they would be safe and never lost.

Just think - you could invest in two bucks worth of picks and keep them for the rest of your life!

BB
Posted By: guildslinger

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/10/03 08:25 PM

Position and flip.

Although some picks have been taken hostage by the dust monsters in there, never to be seen again.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jody Whitesides

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 07:31 AM

I actually got it down to a science. I hold the base of the neck and the butt of the guitar and strategically shake it up and down (with the sound hole facing the floor). I can usually get a pick out with this method in about 3 up's and down's.

Jody
www.jodywhitesides.com

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 12:41 PM

No sweat BB. And just think. The more ya drop in there, the more chance ya got of shaking one out if ya run out when gigging and don't. want to ask for the vacum cleaner.
Actually. At last sunday's jam at the Hole In The Wall we had a bloke who played the vacum cleaner tube like a didgaridoo. Diddn't do too bad either.
Have to ask him to bring the whol;e thing to future gigs. We could really clean up.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Mike Dunbar

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 03:14 PM

I was in the "flip and shake" crowd until I devised the Dunbar Pick System for Helping Timing, also known as DPSHT. I found dropping my pick in the hole was affecting my timing--sometimes it would take several measures for me to flip and shake the guitar, spoiling the continuity of the moment. Devising and adopting DPSHT has changed my professional life, while protecting the environment.

One evening after an engagement in one of the local pubs I was changing the strings, preparing to boil them while making a pot of tea (another labor saving system of great environmental impact I have devised), when it hit me--a way I could put old strings to better use than they get on my guitar AND save my picks from falling into the BLACK HOLE.

Tools you will need to prepare this:

Old strings, I've used all guages, including bass strings.

New picks. The larger the better to accomodate the hole.

A bench vise

A pair of needle nose pliers

A butane soldering torch

Solder (the kind that doesn't need flux, if you can find it, or you can salvage extra blobs of solder from the circuit board of one of your old amplifiers).

A bench mounted, lighted, magnifying lens.

An old pair of leather gloves.

A bucket of water (safety precaution for the butane torch)

safety goggles

a dremel with a wire polishing wheel.

and, a drill press.

Wearing the goggles, carefully drill a medium (3/8" to 1/2" [don't know it in metric, sorry Graham]) hole in the center of the pick. Clamp the string at approximately the middle point to the table vise. Insert the string into the pick, leaving a 3 1/2 inch tag end. Wearing the gloves, wind the string on itself in a counter clockwise (sorry again Graham, do you folks in Australia run your clocks backwards the way the water runs down your drains?) direction safeguarding the unwinding of the string while playing bluegrass, anywhere from 9 to 17 winds are sufficient. Heat the winding area of the string in preparation for the solder (being careful you don't melt the pick). Apply the solder liberally, generally the more the better, then carefully remove the string from the vise and dip that end in the water to cool it down.

The next step is easier. Remove the goggles. Re-introduce the string to the vise. Make a large loop in the other end of the string and carefully wind the free end onto the shaft of the string below the loop, forming a sort of "noose". Replace the goggles. Solder the winding of the string, being careful not to solder the "noose" loops to the shaft. Here, a little less solder is in order. Remove the string from the vise and dip this end in the water. Remove the gloves and, using the magnifying lens, polish the solder with the dremel--here you can also grind down any sharp edges of either the core or wrap of the string.

Now you're ready to try the DPSHT. Holding the pick in your right hand (or left hand if you are left handed [sorry Graham, are you folks in Australia left handed?]), unbutton the sleeve of your picking arm and slip the DPSHT "noose" around your arm above the elbow. Make sure it is tight enough that it won't slip if you are doing Pete Townsend "windmills". Now, enjoy your guitar with no worry of the pick slipping in the hole.

I've used this system for sometime now, it only took a few months to develop the calluses on my arms. In the early stages, I'd recommend wearing dark shirts or blouses, in case there is bleeding.

Enjoy your DPSHT.

Happy Pickin',
Mike

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music
Posted By: RJC

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 03:35 PM

My personal solution has been to sawzall out a large hole in the bottom of the guitar. When the pick falls in the sound hole, I just quickly hackey sack the pick back up to the playing position without missing a beat!

Rob
Posted By: Shandy

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 06:10 PM

I stopped getting them out years ago. So by now my guitar is full of them, and if I drop one, I just give the guitar a little tilt & hundreds of picks just come cascading out of the soundhole. It's no problem to nab any one of them right out of the air.

The only trouble is that the weight of my guitar has ballooned to a somewhat unwieldy 87 pounds, and the weight of the strap across my shoulder has deformed my collarbone to a disturbing degree and apparently is the cause of a bit of nerve damage to my limbs. But I feel that the grotesque disfigurement and chronic flailing/clenching spasms in my arm and buttocks is a small price to pay for a ready supply of picks.

The "position & flip" technique is also useful as well. A matter of taste, I guess.

[This message has been edited by Shandy (edited 03-11-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 06:42 PM

Mike,

I'm intriqued by your DPSHT process. But what the heck is a dremel?

Hey, have you ever burned a pick? To get the best effect get those dark brown/blackish ones (mine are Fender medium). Just set a match to it and watch it go. Oooo, pretty flames. Don't try this trick at home, or with Jim Dunlop picks. JD's are boring to burn.

BB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 07:09 PM

A dremel is a member of the rodent family, similar to the beaver and often born without eyes or ears, it experiences it's world through taste and smell, making it quite handy in the woodshop as a bionic woodworking tool.

I've only had one pick burn while playing orange blossom special with a fiddle player who had just taken methamphetamines. the strings of his fiddle glowed like the wires of a toaster. The notes were so fast, not only my pick burned, but the gold in my teeth softened. Luckily, I was using the DPSHT at the time, so the burning pick melted the solder, sticking my hand to the strings before I slapped myself silly.

I've since taken to playing the bass and lobbying for stricter methamphetamine laws.

Mike

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music
Posted By: DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 10:07 PM

Well gang, I never have that problem. I used to but now before a gig I take the pick I'm going to use, put a little super glue smack dab in the middle & stick it to my finger. I've never lost one since I started doing that.
Once the gig is over I light er with a match & watch er burn to a nub. I do use them there Fender medium tortex picks so the colors are really cool.
The only problem with this procedure is if you want to pick yer nose, or butt, you gotta use yer frettin' hand.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 10:30 PM

No sweat Mike. We down here are well versed in both English and the stuff you blokes speak up there. Sometimes canadian throws us depending on where they come from.
And metric to imperial is conversion is no hassle either. Pity the same wasn't true for the bloke you lot gave the job of figuring how big a gallon was.
can't believe I never thought of using my old army lanyard to save my picks from falling in the hole.
Mind you. If ya using a pickup on tyhe guitar and use a feedback buster the picks don't get inthe hole anyway.
They don't make feedback busters to suit a classical guitar hole so I am making a leather one now and have designed it to also carry my mike I usually bluetack to the body or just throw in the hole.
Nice little ring of hand sewn leather shoud look nice in the middle of the old guitar.
If I extend it down some to incorporate a scratch plate I could probably go one step further and build in a stubby holder for my beer. And a harp rack save me fishing in a pocket all the time when I make a switch.
Then I would need a slot to keep extra picks because they won't fall in the hole anymore and I would never keep up ferriting around a stage floor looking for a dropped pick.
And nope the clocks go the same way as yours up there Mike. Just 12 hours on average ahead of you lot.
Today is a real great day and hope it stays that way til it gets to you lot Guys.
This is the place to be when Lyrics 2 is moving slower than an Englishman's bowel.
Graham (I'm awake now) H

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 10:31 PM

Oh, this is all too funny.

Mike, why don't you just TRAIN the dremel to crawl into the sound hole and retrieve the pick? There are all sorts small rodents who could be trained to do this: mice, gerbils, hamsters, dagoos. Perhaps they could simply live in the guitar. You could drop a few peices of lettuce through the sound hole when you're not dropping picks in.

BB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 10:49 PM

BB,

Legend has it that a Barcelonan Luthier once trained a breed of cave dremels to live in his guitars. This breed was known as the Spanish Plectrum Retriever. Being years before the invention of the electric guitar, he devised a steam powered guitar to meet the demands of the growing flamenco audience. When he installed the feedback buster, this confused the poor dremels, who ate holes along the sides of the top of the guitar. This angered the luthier. He referred to them as with an expletive which caused them to later be known as F Holes.

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

[This message has been edited by Mike Dunbar (edited 03-11-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 11:09 PM

Just read RJC's solutionand now kicking myself. I had a hole in the back of my acoustic. It wasn't intentional. Just happened one time when a patron really did not like a song I wsa doing.
I gaffered it up to stop it rattling and did find it effective to rip the gaffer off to get to my dropped picks. But in a moment of extreme energy, I put a whole new back and ribs on the guitar to make it look bettre than I play. Now I se i should have just trimmed the hole up some to make it look like it belonged.
Then. If I was careful where I put my busking collection cup, it could serve two purposes at once and spectators may mistake the sound of dropped picks hitting the cup to be someone doing the right thing, and prompt them to follow suit.
Sometimes I thoink I just don't think enough.
Is that Luthier the same bloke they named the Lutherain church after?
Regards.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 11:15 PM

Mike,

Oh, I'm well aware of the legend, but like many legends there has been a separation of fact and fiction over the years. The fact is, they were not SPANISH plectrum retrievers... they were actualy imported from Salzburg, Mozart's home town.

The REAL problem is that the luthier spoke Spanish while the Dremels spoke German. It was not the luthier who uttered the expletive; it was the dremels. When the luthier was installing the feedback buster, the dremels cried out, "Achtung! Achtung!" (translation: heads up! look out!)

Embarased by what he had done, the luthier concocted a silly story about F holes. Had he told the truth, those holes would have been named after the TRUE expletive: A Holes.

BB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/11/03 11:43 PM

Silly me. And here I am thinking all the time achtung is what cross harp players do to make train noises and other stuff that makes punters think they can actually play stuff.
Live and learn. Well one outta two ain't bad.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Bob Young (D)

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/12/03 02:20 AM

Since I started using 12" square floor tiles for picks, I've eliminated the problem altogether.

My forearms are now about 24 inches around so it does make buying shirts a bit of a challenge..but..what the heck...

Convenience has its cost !

Bob Young

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/12/03 05:49 AM

This has got to be the single most entertaining thread I have ever come across on this site.

The little dremels... [Linked Image] I build acoustic guitars now & then, and every time I reach for the dremel I'm gonna crack up, I can tell already. Thanks...

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/12/03 06:55 AM

And I betch don't have to wonder which pocket ya spare picks is in either Bob.
Hope yo ain't lifting anything too heavy Cobber.
Hey. I just slacked off and watched Steve McQueen in the hunter and it had a good bit of Chicago in it and I thought of ya Mate.
That never used to happen before Days Of Our Nets went to air.
Is Fun Shandy. And I am going to try and get Mike down here. he spins 'em just like an aussie. Better than most.
Glad ya cleared up a dremel is really a tool. I was just off to the pet shop to order one.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Bruce Goldish

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/12/03 04:43 PM

In Santa Barbara, we buy a new guitar.

Bruce

------------------
http://brucegoldish.com

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/12/03 04:59 PM

A little battery operated fan that blows the pick back out the sound hole, back into your fingers.

Sort of the reverse of the old attach-the-tip-jar-to-vacuum technique.

Bruce

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/12/03 10:49 PM

Good ide bruce. But why stop there. get a fan with a bit more grunt and really blow the crowd a way.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: jt wojahn

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/13/03 03:58 AM

you guys have got it all wrong. if i drop my pick in the soundhole i just break the body in half. i'll be damned if i'm losing a 10 cent pick!! [Linked Image]
keep pick-in'
jt
Posted By: Jean Bullock

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/13/03 05:49 AM

LOL X 1K. This is funny.

The problem with you boys is you don't know when the glass (er guitar) is half full. You don't take them out at all. You jump up and down while you play and you have an automatic shaker accompaniment.

JeanB

PS: Graham was quite correct. It was Martin Luthier. One of his descendents who was named after him, came over to Ellis Island. He was illiterate and couldn't read so he didn't notice that the immigration clerk had misspelled his last name as Luther. Later when he learned to read, it irked him so much he dropped the Luther. And called himself Martin. He learned to make guitars and named the guitars he made after himself. His shop sign read:
Martin – Luthier.

So in the end, he did get his proper name back. This is a true story and his shop still makes Martin guitars.

[This message has been edited by JeanB (edited 03-12-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/13/03 11:24 PM

So that's what those guitar smashing bands of the 80's were doing. Often wndered and knew they had to have a reason.
Thanks for confirming that. So gladdening to see an illeterate immigrant can still make good and become the maker of the most popular acoustic guitar in the JPF survey.
Also so glad it is the same guitar use in a soon to happen Cd launch that is also using my now famous world wide leather guitar pick as a marketing ploy.
Sorry if I am typing too fast for you to all read but I am flat out making genuine down under, hand styled leather pick, each with its own personal tone built in, and each tested for playability and tonal quality.
These are notyour average 10 cent plastic picks Folks. No every single one, which takes aproxamatly ten minutes to make is then put through a whole gambit if on the strings quality tests which takes anywhere twix 15 and 45 minutes, depending on how the groove moves the testing officials.
So they market around the $50 mark. depending on individual tewsting time.Watch all major media forums for this important evet folks.
One of the pitfalls of the leather pick is, because of their soft texture, they do not shake too good, so anybody using them is advised to throw they empty beer bottle tops on the sound hole to get the best out of their jumping up and down.
Graham (Don't fall over now)H

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/14/03 08:56 AM

Graham, I actually went with the deluxe fan model, comes with club attachment. Very handy, a fan club right there in the guitar.

Bruce

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/14/03 06:30 PM

I always carry one just in case I ever get any fans Bruce.
They tell me they can get real excited sometimes and a bloke needs protection if they pluck up enough courage to mob him on stage.
Still got my values and like to pick and choose.
Can see it now.
"No not you Sweetheart". Bonk Bonk.
OK. You'll do" etc etc.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Ozone Pete

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/16/03 04:29 PM

Okay, you unapologetic wags!! [Linked Image]
I've learned much new and exotic trivia (as well as some solid techniques), I must say!

Noooooooow, let us hear about them annoying busted string ends that seem to be even harder to dislodge from their gitbox lair! (In a bit of actual practical advise, I use one of those mechanic's telescoping rods {no, not that, dammit!} with the little magnet on the end. Easy-peasy when the little bugger is "in sight" of the soundhole.)
What's your take on it? I'm looking forward to more arcane perspectives on this! [Linked Image]

"Breathe, my pasty friend, breeeathe! A-ha-ha!"

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/17/03 03:36 AM

Good question Pete. I would say the old vacumcleaner at string change time would work fine here too.
Mind you. I haven't broke a string since I started using leather picks.
They now wear out at the frets from the bends the haunting tone of the leather on steel begs me to do.
I'm gonna have to stop playing Summertime in A minor all the time so the wear is spread out more even and i get full value out of my strings.
Just had a thought Pete. Yo get enough of them string ends ya can sew them all together into nice little designs on ya vest like them English busker people do with pearls and seashells.
That would look cute and stop ya vest blowing about in open air gigs.
Regards.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/17/03 04:33 AM

I'm glad you noticed those string ends...that reminds me of the story of Jon "panhandle" Calhoun. Jon was part of the folk-gold rush of '71 in Chicago. He made his living panning for string ends out of folksingers' guitars. Jon strung the barrel ends on monofilament fishing line, making faux gold chains for materialistic faux hippies in the Old Town area of Chicago. Not wanting to compromise the guitars with water, to pan the string ends from the pick dust and other detritus, Jon used a mixture of finger-ease and Irish Whiskey to whisk the contents of the guitar into a miniature frisbee, printed with a logo from Pignose Amps, He used this to pan the heavier string ends from the picks, lint, and dead skin filling the body of guitars. He cleaned out the boxes of guitars at the Earl of Old Town, Somebody Else's Troubles, the Quiet Knight, the Amazingrace Coffehouse, and the Barbarossa, all of which proved a veritable gold mine for Jon who saved his proceeds to send young banjo players to Arkansas to learn white "soul".

Jon's necklaces, which can be authenticated, are going for over a grand apiece on ebay. Early specimens sport the plastic barrels from the nylon-string folk guitar set offered by E.O.Mari years ago, and are considered priceless by serious collectors.

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music
Posted By: Larry Williams

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/17/03 04:56 AM

....can't.....writie....laffingtoohard...............................
Posted By: Joanne Lurgio

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/18/03 12:23 PM

When my pic falls inside the guitar I shake the guitar enough til the pic is right under the sound hole... then I slide my hand, open palm, under the strings and gentle flip the guitar and the pic usually falls right into my hand!!! It has taken many years & many fallen pics to perfect this techinque.
Joanne

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/20/03 02:43 AM

Now that one I would like to see Joanne.
Mind picture says ya have to flip the guitar longways clockwise. Both sides of the aquator Mike. For right habdres anyway.
And unless ya really got flex in ya wrists.
be real hard to do and not have the pick take of down to the head of the box again.
Thinking about it. Maybe a blob of blue tak on the end of a stick would work too.
Save all that flipping practice too.
Think I will make me one. Will use a real hard bit of rawhide instead of a stick so it matches the mood of my leather picks, scratch plate, stubbie holder, and feedback buster.
Graham

------------------

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 03-20-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/20/03 12:13 PM

Hey Graham
In writing, my idea sounds a awkward.. but actually is fairly simple... then again... maybe just years of practice.
I like the idea of the blob of blue tac... I think that is something that would be in great demand... this could be your big break!! Get working on those designs ... sure it would fly off the shelves of music stores.
Joanne

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/20/03 01:49 PM

I believe ya Joanne. Just would be good to see. Bit like we used to spsn our ball pean hammers on our forefinger when I was in the workshops. Do not try this near a window etc when learning.
A claw hammer does not do it I found out. And is downright dangerous when it spins off the finger.
Yeah. I surprised myself with that bluetack thought. Wonder if I should e-mail Bostic and tell 'em to include it on the uses section of their packet.
Might get enough out of them to buy some new picks.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 03:30 PM

We've been ignoring the obvious solution to the problem: tortoise shell picks...with the tortoise still attached. Whe you drop it in, you could turn the guitar over and let the little critter crawl out. Reluctant ones could be lured with a little banana or strawberry.

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 05:32 PM

Fill with water, pick floats to top.

Bruce

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 09:10 PM

Sorry, Mike. [Linked Image]

JeanB

[This message has been edited by JeanB (edited 03-21-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 09:38 PM

Jean, along those lines, if you are blessed with a Gene Simmon's sized tounge you could lick out your pick.

BB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 09:48 PM

Let's not go any further in this direction please.

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 10:07 PM

Sorry, Mike. [Linked Image]

JeanB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 10:44 PM

Naw Mike. That wouldn't work. Poor little crittre might stick its head out while you was pluckin and get necked. Then we would have the decency police down on us.
had a tongue like Jean S'uzzzzz ya's have to widen the hole to get it to fit.
Doncha hate it when the post gets over twenty and ya can't scroll back to see how to spell tongue?
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 10:45 PM

Jean, it was a joke.

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 10:59 PM

Oh … in that case:

I heard Cyrano de Begerac just used to inhale to retreive his picks.

Nope… not working. Sigh.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 11:01 PM

Jean Symonds does the same to retreave his tongue.
Bill Clinton never did though.
Well maybe gasped a time or two.
Graham

------------------

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 03-21-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 11:09 PM

I didn't know Bill Clinton played guitar. I know he played sax and I think I recall someone saying something about him playing the harMonica.

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 11:22 PM

Let's not go any further in this direction please. (Tee Hee)

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 11:23 PM

No No Mike. Bill Just played.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/03 11:29 PM

Darn. I wanted to turn the page too.
Yeah I agree Jean. The subject is getting e-roaded. Let's stay on track
What were we talking about?
Oh yes. Picks. recovering lost thereof to be precise.
Ya know if everybody played nylon strings like me, there would be no problem.
hey. By the way. Did I ever tell you about the all girl skimpy clad rock ggroup I used to manage.
They were called The Strum Pets. Went over real big, but had to disband because they couldn't get their G string in to a chord no matter how much they fiddled.
Harmonica player was a real harpie I tell ya.
Graham

------------------

Posted By: paulsongs

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/22/03 01:36 PM

I loved all this wonderful advice. This is not the kind of important information that you find in the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method Book 1, believe you me. With my guitar students, I always have them practice this by dropping a pick into the guitar at their first lesson. It's always a lot of fun to watch them. On another "note", does anyone know where to get genuine tortoise shell picks. I know that they're not manufactured anymore, but there must be some somewhere still available. I even went on Ebay looking for them, but can't find them.

Paul Strausman - Keep on singing
Posted By: Debra

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/22/03 02:10 PM

Wow I didn't know there were so many alternatives to the usual "shake and flip" method (until you get completely frustrated, at which time it decides to come out) - I'll have to get some of the tools Mike mentions (Lmao)

I also didn't know Bill Clinton played the harmonica [Linked Image] I'm sure he enjoyed that...!
Thanx for the laughs - this thread was amusing!
Debbie
Posted By: Whatzup Hollywood

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/22/03 03:08 PM

i think the pick in the guitar idea is better left in the guitar. I wonder if you all are selling your own CDs this year. have you seen the sumadek.com site. someone emailed me about the newsletter and said there was a message board about guitar center selling independent artist tools to help sell cds like sumadek. where's that message board?? does anyone know??
Posted By: Diana Tyler

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/22/03 03:34 PM

Two methods:

1. Fish it out with a gob o' gum attached to a thin coathanger wire. (That'll also remove all that pesky pet hair and dust that finds its way inside!)

2. Plug up the hole with duck tape, sticky side OUT. Fallen picks never find their way INTO the hole!

------------------
www.mp3.com/crisisrocks
www.mp3.com/dianatyler
Posted By: Ken

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/22/03 06:49 PM

Personally I don't use picks. However when I did and they wound up missing, they usually ended up in the dryer. (no doubt taking the place of all those disappearing socks)

------------------
New CD "Penny for My Thoughts now available at
www.kenfranz.com,CD Street, CD Baby and Amazon.com

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/22/03 07:23 PM

Paul, haven't you been reading? All those tortoiseshell picks have fallen through the black hole of the soundboard.

To find them, visit all the shops that sell Vintage Guitars. They usually advertise free Tortoishell Pick with every guitar.

I have heard rumors that the song "Shake, Rattle and Roll" was inspired by the curious pick dilema.

But picks don't always land inside the guitar. Some of them shoot off like guided missles and someaudience members ended up with a pick monocle.

As a matter of fact, to prevent the possibility of injuring fans, I believe that was the reason Jimi Hendrix began playing with his teeth. Or so I've heard.

JeanB

LOL, Graham! E-roding. I just got it. LOL

[This message has been edited by JeanB (edited 03-22-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/03 02:05 AM

Good ya got it Jean.
I was going to mention the fact the lost picks most often come out inj the washer or dryer when ya was the guitar but really thought it ws so obvious and didn't bother Ken.
Thinking on real tortise shell picks. They would be real rare now. I got a set of 200 year old hair combs etc all made of real tortise shell and may cut them up into pick. Could be a market fofr them. Also have a few skrimshaws that just may also be a salable comodity trimmed into pick too.
Don't want to do that thoughn as i like the pen and ink drawings of whaling scenes on them.
Regards.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Sam

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/03 04:56 AM

The advice on this thread has been absolutely unbelievable!

Personally, I favor the Total Quality Management approach -- redesigning the system so the pick can't fall in in the first place. Others have alluded to this. Additional possibilities include using a guitar whose soundhole is smaller than a pick...or moving the soundhole to the side of the instrument...or switching to an instrument without a soundhole (such as a banjo or nose flute).

Or simply using fingerpicks and needlenose pliers.
Posted By: JNethery

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/03 08:21 AM

I used to go with the position and quick flip method, but then I came up with an idea to not drop my pick anymore, it really works! What you'll need:

A hole puncher (like for paper)
A rubber band

1. Punch a hole in the upper-right corner of the pick with the hole puncher.
2. Thread the rubber band through the hole.
3. Thread the rubber band through itself to fasten it to the pick.
4. On the other end of the rubber band, tie a knot leaving a loop about the size of the base of your middle finger.
5. Place rubber band loop around middle finger, and never drop your pick again! If you do "drop" it, you can quickly regain control because it it attached to your middle finger!

Try it, it really works.

WARNING: Do NOT make the loop too small, or you will cut off the circulation to your finger and may need to have it amputated (leaving you unable to flip anyone off ever again). That would be a terrible tragedy, please exercise extreme caution.

------------------
Jonathan Nethery
Satellite's Landing
Posted By: Zbird

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/03 04:12 PM

Two words: duct tape.

------------------
http://www.bumpkinpie.com

It is just as is and ain't no is-er.
-folk wisdom
Posted By: Jody Whitesides

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/03 05:30 PM

I think I've finally found a solution...

We all know there is some sort of black hole that very much likes to "eat" picks, in the vacinity of the inside of the guitar. I think if you listen closely it is requesting "picks" or "plectrums". I believe it's anything called by those two names and made of any material like plastic, tortois shell, steel, brass, quarters, etc...

So, I've recently stopped using "picks" or "plectrums" and started using "Thwappers". Now you might ask what's a "Thw****r"? Well, it's sort of like a pick or a plectrum, only it goes by the name Thw****r. I've found that they won't go in the soundhole in the first place. Thus it negates having to fish out a pick from the inside of your instrument.

Be carefull, asking for a Thw****r at a guitar store might bring confused looks and moments of store-clerk awe. Very few people utter the word Thw****r and those that do usually get smacked up-side the head for uttering the name. This is because the Thw****r consortium does not wish for the black-hole to find out about the Thw*****'s existence. For should this happen, they too will get sucked into that void.

Case in point, you all remember the Swiper, or the Plinker right? Exactly, we had to dump those many many years ago as they too get eaten by the black hole inside your instrument. Should you attempt to use a Swiper or a Plinker, it will get sucked in faster than you can say the name.

So, start using Thw*****s and all will be good. Just don't ask for them by name and for God's sake don't call it a pick or a plectrum.

Jody
Posted By: MandolinAnn

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/24/03 01:48 AM

Having dropped my picks in my acoustic so many times, I thought perhaps I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. I later discovered that I was actually going through a midlife crisis.

I pawned my acoustic because I thought it was useless, and I spent way too much on a new electric guitar, but honestly from that point on I never again felt hole.

Needless to say, I am now the lead singer in the band.

Carol
#=@ MandolinAnn

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/24/03 03:21 AM

Oh Carol.
Life can be so creul.
Your acoustic.
Was such a useful tool.
You blew it.
Now must face regret.
'Cos with an electic.
Shocking's what you get.

Gee Wonder how the tune to that will go.

Now ya been stipped of ya guitar and put up front, ya going to always have to worry if fly is undone. Or not worry depending on what sort of act ya got.

The comment on the punch a hole in the pick and use a lackie band as a mooring line got me intrigued.
Just wish I had rread it all before adopting it as I saw the punch a hole and thought 'Brilliant". wizzed down to the body piercing shop and got them to wack a pin i my forefinger and use that to keep my pick in place. Great when I am driving in real heavy thraffic (That's why we drive on the left over here Mike. So it don't intrupt out practise for right handed guitarists), and have to stop playing till it thins.
Has also proved a good thing to get a clear run, as I can now stick my hand out the windo and the pick starts spinning inthe slipstream and everybody thinks the whine of it whirring is the cops and they all get out of my way.
Well all bar a cop car the othr day.
Graham Hendersan.
From cell 4 Esperance Police lock up, where I am sitting picking my nose waiting for the judge to front.
And that is a whole new experience with a pick pinned to ya forefinger I tell ya.
Going places i have never been before.

------------------
Posted By: songmaker

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/29/03 04:39 PM

When Nick Lucas stopped making picks, I bought all he had. Playing six nights a week, I wore them down to a nub, those I didn't lose.
There have been a few that did fall into my guitar and I use the old "shake it upside down over the bed" method.
However I have had a few just disappear into the guitar never to be seen again.
Interestingly enough, when the satalite photos came back from the recent trip around Saturn, a close look at the rings showed that they are made up of guitar picks. I even saw a few of my old, worn Nick Lucas picks there.
Posted By: Larry Williams

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/29/03 06:47 PM

Don't any of you guys use "Gorilla Snot"? Really, it's a product to make 'em stick to your finger. Try a google search and you'll find it.

It's gotta be better than Super Glue. I just hate having to use a razor blade to loosen the pick at the end of the night. It's also kind of weird at first tryin' to pick up a beer with a pick stuck on your thumb - but you DO get used to it.

------------------
Larry
www.audibleresponse.com
Posted By: Johnny Daubert

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/29/03 07:53 PM

I have cut down on stress,,,so I just go out and buy another guitar!

John Daubert

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/29/03 10:09 PM

I knew this was too wierd to not be true. Hmm, maybe I'll try some of that snot … er … Gorilla Snot.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GRSGOSNOT

For more sources:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Gorilla+Snot&btnG=Google+Search

[This message has been edited by JeanB (edited 03-29-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/29/03 11:00 PM

Remind me never to eat the bar snacks any place you are gigging Larry.
Hang on. I stopped eating them after doing a survey on how many men don't wash their hands after a trip to the mens room.
In the proccess now of sewing myself a set of leather thimble picks because the plastic and metal ones scratch my nail polish something awful.
Regards.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/30/03 12:03 AM

Graham, what you gotta do, to alleviate the nail polish scratching is use a fast hardening, clear epoxy resin mixed with the polish. The fast dry stuff is a necessity, it'll dry in about 4 hours where as the regular suff takes a day or so, depending on temperature and humidity.
The other option is to lay a clear layer over the regular polish. If you're into using appliques that's a better way to do it.
You might have to use a grinder to trim them down though. That dremel might just do the trick too. Mike aught to know about that.

By the way Larry.
Instead of using a razor blade to get the pick off your thumb, just light 'er with a match. If yer usin' the tortoise shell picks the colors are really neat. Ya just gotta make sure there's a bit of water around to cool things down some when it gets too hot.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/30/03 01:46 AM

Thanks for the tips Dak. Will try them out.
And also. I had heard about the old light them up trick.
believe Slash often employed it to get some of his licks actually.
Also heard the old keep a glass of water handy routine was the thing that prompted the song Smoke On The Water.
And people still ask us where we get our hooks from.
I got a new one in the mill now prompted by listening to one of Mike Donebeur's nice instrumental Baby Cakes.
Using the same title but a differant tune so's mike's daughter don't put a contract out on me.
The one from Hell's Angels is still valid.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/30/03 03:58 AM

Yeah Graham, that Smoke on the Water came from years ago when Deloris DuePaul, from Towner, North Dakota, accidently spilled her brandy into her finger bowl & the candles on the table started it on fire. It was pretty poor quality brandy so it smoked like the dickens. It's my understanding that Pablo de la Musica Francais al Fiero Agua saw what happened and he wrote a song about it. This was in about 1934, give or take a long time. As time went on, other folks wrote other songs with the same name.

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/31/03 12:41 AM

I remember that well from my pre-conception days Dak.
And didn't it start a landslide of spin-off songs too?
Smoke Gets In Your Glass.
Film Over Bubbling Waters.
Steam Heat.
Light My Bowl.
And of course, the most recent by our own Bob Young, I Need A Fire Engine.
Regards.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: 9ne

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/31/03 01:07 AM

Dropping a pick into an acoustic is nothing! Back in the 60's I dropped my pick into the sunburst of my Strat. "Oh WOW man. Looka that!" [Linked Image] Here's the sad part,(get a life) if you drop it in your acoustic, flip the guitar and get it out on the FIRST try you're totally pleased with yourself. Sad Really sad!

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/31/03 03:02 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Graham:
And of course, the most recent by our own Bob Young, I Need A Fire Engine.
Regards.
Graham
</font>

Wasn't the precurser to Bob Young's "I Need A Fire Engine" a little tune called "I'm So Hot I'm Burning, Baby"? Don't remember who wrote it but I kinda remember there were lots of bells & whistles in the tune, also some tonal changes from the guitarist dropping his pick into the sunburst finish on his Strat & finishing up with a broken thumb.

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/01/03 12:01 PM

9ne...
you are so right... how sad.. I can almost see the smile on my face when I get it out on the first flip... sad... so sad
Joanne

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/02/03 01:39 PM

Not sure dak I think it got it's start from a little stage trick involving a cigarette lighter and bad digestion, Bob is sort of famous for.
Now he is 57 as of yesterday, I think that trick has maybe been put on a back burner, now he is more mature.
Soon as I saw those sunburst, I just knew there would be an accident bedcause of them one day.
They are so life like. Exactly like a bit of paint spashed about.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/15/03 06:49 PM

Hey guys, (and gals [Linked Image] ) pop over to the recording forum and tell us what to do the left over demo disks we have. Only a few people know how to have fun over there.

JeanB

PS: Dak, did you change your e-mail address. It's being returned to me. Send me the new one for the Chapter list, OK?

------------------
I am only Lord of the Orange County forum and not any other board. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by JeanB (edited 04-15-2003).]
Posted By: mark vieaux

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/18/03 04:38 AM

If I drop a pick into my soundhole, I simply put a second one in there too. This increases the odds of shaking one out. Works every time.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/18/03 04:42 AM

That's my favorite!!!

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/20/03 08:35 PM

LOL Your killin' me Mark! Say... I play with my fingers sometimes; if I lose one of those in the soundhole, will I knuckle under?

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/21/03 06:31 AM

What an odd thing to point out.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/21/03 10:43 PM

Wait until I thumb through some old joke books to get some ideas before answering that one. Right now I'm stumped.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/22/03 05:47 PM

I hope those books are... handy, make it... quick Graham or we'll have to give YOU the finger!

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/22/03 08:43 PM

here it is 4.35 am and I should be wristing, but have beaten the alARM up this morning, and come in here to find I am supposed to think quick. heck This time of the day. Just thinking is enough to aim for.
Gimme a break. No not that finger. Tat's my picking finger. No not my guitar picking finger.
I like to use seperate ones because I sometimes play guitar with my teeth.
You think that's all been done before I suppose.
Well maybe but I make the chord with mine not just do that boring old tooth picking thing.
Eb aug is a killer I tell ya.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Southern Blues

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/23/03 04:12 AM

Since I put my acoustic in the closet and just play my strat,I have had the same pick for 3 years. [Linked Image]..Some one said I could change strings and get my picks back out.....pretty silly huh? like you can take your strings off...LOL

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/23/03 12:33 PM

I don't know about changing strings, but know it is possible to replace one when it breaks because I used to break a lot of strings before i started using leather picks.seems the melting plastic had some effect on the strings and made them brittle so when I bent a note any more than an octave they would snap like carots carrotts carrits. You know them long orunge things you grate and put in coleslaw to make it almost edable, eatable, good enough to call food.
Now the smoke from the leather when i get going seems to mellow me out some and I get all layed back and sure does save on strings.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/23/03 07:06 PM

Yeah, and what are those funny peg like things with little gears for at the top of the guitar. You know the ones that you can turn but don't seem to make some guitars sound better?

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/23/03 09:19 PM

Oh. I know that one Jean. read it in a book Sigmund Fraud put out once cwalled "Guitars need understanding too"
Thems are called machine heads and what they do they allow you to get the end of the string sitting just right so ya can spike ya cigarette on it when playing to music and the smoke gets in ya eyes and blinds ya.
Christmas time ya can also put a lot of candles on them. looks real impressive on a 12 string I tell ya. Particularly if ya use sparkler sticks instead of candles. And soak the neck in lighter fluid first.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/24/03 09:36 AM

Is that really true, Graham, or are you just stringing me along?

So when the neck is in flames, is that when you call guitar bits, Hot Licks?

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/24/03 10:58 AM

Would I lie to ya Baby?
As true as I'm standing here Jean.
Quite possible it did give rise to that saying as well as the one we use down here. "Flaming bonzer guitar Cobber."

I wouldn't fret about it too much Jean or yo will go nuts in the end.
and we don't want to be saddled with that.
Gotta make sure ya contain the fire to the neck too Jean or ya find ya burning ya bridges too.
And you'll also get soot marks on ya hands next time ya have to fissh a pick outa the hole.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/24/03 06:53 PM

And the winner of the first Annual Guitar Pun Award goes to … Graham Henderson. [Linked Image]

JeanB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/24/03 11:25 PM

Thank you. Thank you.
Oh My God. I can't believe it.
Thank you. Thank you.
I think I'm going to cry.
Oh My Gog.
Thank you.
(Discreet pause)
Thank you everybody for your nominations and support.
I had a speech writiten out just in case i got lucky but now my eyes are so misty I can't read it, so I just want to say thank you to My Mom, who always encouraged me to follow my dream of being a successful smart ass. My dad who made sure my ass did smart as often as he could.
And a special thank you to, clumsy guitar pickers out there every where. Without you guys and ya butter fingers, this magic moment in my life would never have happened.
Thank you Thank you.
(discreet half hours pause while the applause machine and electric shockers in the house seats make it look like ya got a standing ovation)
Thank you. Sob Sob.

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/25/03 01:15 AM

Hey! Who you calling an SOB????
Posted By: Marty Helly

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/29/03 01:17 PM

Singer Of Ballads?

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/29/03 01:20 PM

Jean -

Its really true - saw Ozone and Shandy do it on the East Coast roadtrip.

Pics here: http://www.jpfolks.com/Roadtrips/ECRoadTrip02/Campfire/page/campfire046.html

[This message has been edited by Marty Helly (edited 04-29-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/29/03 05:00 PM

Enough already. A bloke is all choked up with emotion (well I think it's emotion) and crying (Sob) here and you guys are making funnies. Have a heart Fellas.
What's true Jean? What did Pete and Shandy do on the road trip? Maybe I better go look at the pics and find out. Do I need to loosen the security on my browser Jean? I got it set on the "Nothing too over the top" setting 'cos i blush easy.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/29/03 06:15 PM

The pics show the trick with the candles and lighterfluid soaked guitar neck.

If the link doesn't work, go to the roadtrips page, pick the hartford campfire, and scroll down to the last picture #46.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/29/03 11:21 PM

Oh Yow. Gross. Gotta see that.. I love that song. A Lighter Lit A Gale.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Tom Tracy

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/30/03 05:32 PM

If one drops his pick into the soundhole while playing air guitar, does it vanish???

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/30/03 07:35 PM

Do air guitars have sound holes?
I would have thought it would be airholes if any holes at all.
Would think most air guitarists would choose solid bodiless guitars myself.
Never have seen an acoustic, or folk section in the comptetitions.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/30/03 08:21 PM

Most air guitars are solid body electrics - thus the soundhole is not a problem. Of course air guitars work best with air picks so it can be tough to find them when dropped. Luckily, all you have to do is think good thoughts and another appears "out of thin air". Then again, if you like heavy picks you're out of luck.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/30/03 10:54 PM

I would think iy would be hard to think all good thoughts and create the atmospherre of a Black sabbath, AC/DC, or metalilica riff.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/30/03 11:49 PM

I play air acoustic, air banjo and air mandolin.
It's really a loser when you flip one of the air picks into the air mandolin. Those little f holes make in nearly impossible to get them out. The oval holes are about like my air acoustic. Most times you can't find the air picks when they finally shake out unless you're playing in fog.
The absolute worst is playing air banjo getting some really hot licks going and losing the air finger picks and the air slide all at the same time. Danged air picks fly all over the stage & they're so light they have a tendency to float so you have to wait until they come down before you can even hope to find them. I think I'm gonna have to use brass air slides from now on too. The glass air slides just can never be found if it slips off your finger.
I've never lost an air slide playing air bottle neck guitar. Some others of you may have and can give some insight as to finding those air slides.

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 12:07 AM

Don't know if it helps but when playing air lap steel or pedal I have taken to just pretending i got a slide in my hand. Is only the real pros can pick I am faking it.
Do the same playing air harp. That way I never have to change harps to suit the key.
Gee Dak. I wonder if that's why there ain't many words in the english language with silent F's in them?
Air Balaliaka is way cool cos the hole is too small for even the smallest pick to fall into.
Which means ya have to put jelair beans in it if ya want to use it as a shaker.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 01:26 AM

Graham, I gotta tell ya, that's some good advice. I'll have to try faking the air slide when I'm playing air slide banjo & air acoustic bottle neck guitar. That just may be the trick. If it works for lap & pedal steel it aughta work for my applications.

Now, as to the non-silent "f". It can be, at least here in SoCal. It comes out eh'. So, with an archtop acoustic or those squiggly holes in the top would be "eh holes". In the fast paced environment here it comes out "a holes". I wonder if it would be the same with those bluegrass mandolins...

By the by, I did my version of "Just Another Day" at the Canyon Amphitheater last weekend. I didn't get boo'd off the stage so I guess it was alright. Actually, some fairly raucous reactions. I'm gonna do my slide banjo version this coming weekend at the, post cancer benefit golf tournament, music gig I'm going to be part of.
Now, that'll be a winner, if I don't lose the slide....

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 04:00 AM

Glad I could help Dak. And gladder Nutha day is doing it up there.
Regarding audience reaction, I gotta tell ya the other night I did finished off a bracket in which I felt i had done real good and was already to have to pretend to be oh so humble when the clapping and cheering and "more more" started.
Nothing.
Dead silent.
Then I figured it.
That is what airplause is all about.
I must really done real good.
We have A holes down here too Dak. Not on instruments.
We let them run the country.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 04:07 AM

Once in a while I play my air guitar. It's acoustic though. Bar chords are really easy to play on it. I don't use a pick with it though. One thing I do have trouble with is my air violin. I keep poking myself in the eye with the bow. Have a hard time getting the rosin on it as well.

JeanB

PS: Did you guys really sacrifice those instruments in the fire, or was it an really an air fire?

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 09:20 AM

being famous for my real cool blues, and even more so for my very cool audience responses to said real cool blues, there is little chance of me ever setting an instrument on fire Jean.
neigbours have tried to burn me out sometimes when i forget to stop practicing the bugle early enough though.
This aircoustic guitar playing thing is all so new to me. never heard of it bieng done before.
Sure would save a lot of putting the make up on time in the competitions each year.
It could catch on I think.
Can see them not hanging in the aircoustic section of every music shop everywhere.
The violin I can't help you much with jean. All I can say is keep practiceing, you may get to like it.
Maybe they have a patchchord you could wear til ya eye toughens up.
If you apply the rosen while standing on a circus horse, any dropped won't go to waste, and will stop you falling off.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 10:53 PM

Well there you go AKA JeanB.
You're problem is probably 'cause you're using an airbow for an airfiddle on the airviolin. Those'll get you in the eye every time. Only way to avoid is to play the airviolin from the other side. That'll make the strings wrong but then you use the airfiddle bow and saw away upside down & it'll stay clear of your eyes.

------------------
DakLander
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/01/03 11:45 PM

The annual Hartford Chapter After Show Bonfire and Instrument Bar-be-que is definitely real Jean. I missed the Piano sacrifice and I am wondering what they have on the menu for the next one?

Brian

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/02/03 02:02 AM

When does that go to air Brian? I got an old keyboard here is only good for burning.
Don't know if that will be of any use though as most sacrificials gotta be virgins, and that one sure ain't.
Graham

------------------

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 05-02-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/02/03 01:53 PM

Man, what century do you guys live in? Around here we play air guitar with air picks. No big deal if you drop one. The best part about air picks is that they never break and you never loose them.

BB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/02/03 04:45 PM

BB must be using that Gorilla air on his picks.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/02/03 06:51 PM

Wow, Brian. I shuddered to see that but then I thought about a couple of instruments I used to have that should have been burned and I got over it. Wonder if percussion instruments are next?

Dak, I tried playing the air violin that way but the music came out inside out and backwards.
I also tried to play it like a cello but I kept skinning my knees. Oh, who am I kidding, the air violin disappeared. A simple diet would probably help that though.

I tried playing it like a Hawaiian guitar but I had to stick my legs straight out to keep it from sliding off my lap. To fix that, I tried it that way on a recliner but the arms of the chair got in the way of the bowing. No matter how I fiddle with it, I still have the bow problem.

JeanB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/03/03 04:18 AM

Well Jean,
Now you're stuck with buying an airviolin bow. Some folks can get by with the airfiddle bow played as suggested but if it doesn't work you're out of luck.
As to the recliner trick...Try it on a vibrating recliner. If you set the vibration fast enough you can saw away and all your notes will be between the vibrations and that will keep the arms out of the way 'cause you'll be bouncing above them.

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/03/03 06:33 PM

All else fails, it would do no arm to saw the arms off the recliner Jean.
Or sit on the floor would be OK too. and yo wouldn't have far to reach if ya dropped ya pick.
Suggest ya wear pants if you on a raised stage so the audience can concentrate on the music.
Woollen ones if it is a concrete floor.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/03/03 06:57 PM

[Linked Image] Brian, I think I might be fresh out of burnable instruments. But Ozone & I ought to browse the tag sales for another solid-body... that old bass just burned all night. Wonderful stuff.

& I'm still burning piano parts out on the patio now & then. 'Til next year... [Linked Image]

------------------
Shandy Lawson

Folk-noir Ballads and Acoustic Brawls
http://www.shandylawson.com
Posted By: douglas

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/03/03 09:40 PM

Great topic and I must say some very inventive ways have come to the surface.

Me I shake the Sh!!!! out of my guitar until it falls out, usually onto the floor where I have to bend down and try to pick it up untill the dog or one of my kids come around and it gets stuck to a paw or shoe and then I have to chase them for it and they think it is a game and run and before long I have forgotten what I was playing and then leave my guitar laying around until my wife reminds me to pick it up and by that time I am dozing in front of the tv after, I have searched high and low for the remote, ("Use the knobs on the tv never!!) and so woken up I am crabby and we get into a fight and then I go and pick...what was the topic?

Doug

------------------
"You can do what ever you want to do where ever you want to go. It's up to you." John Denver

[This message has been edited by douglas (edited 05-03-2003).]
Posted By: Ozone Pete

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/06/03 05:04 PM

Hey, Shandy!
See that great whooshing gout of plasticine flame coming from the guitar's soundhole in Campfire pic 043? It's all those lost plectrums returning from Pick-Purgatory for their final glorious sacrifice (and morbid fascination of pick-losers everywhere).
Why do they do this, you ask? Why, to please the evil gods of Music, of course! Geez, I thought that was common knowledge and a certain "faith-based initiative" on the picks' part to gain re-birth as pickguards (or "gardes-du-pique" as we refer to them 'round here)! [Linked Image]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/06/03 11:41 PM

Well. I just hope you all realise what that whoosh of flame out of the sound hole did to the ozone layer Guys, and resove to only use leather picks in future to cut down on the damaging effects of plastic picks being incinerated along with epoxy glues and acrilic wood finishes.
Please do try to only burn guitars etc old enough to be stuck together with animal glues and finished with french polish, both of which should have less impact on the environment. Anything pre 1900 should be safe.
Graham (I'm so green, I spit when i get burned)Henderson
Posted By: Bill Draper

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/08/03 04:04 PM

Hi BB,
I can't add much to the excellent tips already posted,but...have you ever heard of a store by the name of Bobs' Picks? Anyway,its a little franchise operation out of Chicago that sells only picks...that's all they do...just picks,picks,picks.They just opened a shop down the street and I bought one they had on special(I'm a sucker for sale items).Well it came with a money back guarantee...if one's guitar performance was not electrifyingly magnetic,you get your money back...even on sale items! So I bought two...and guess what?...when you buy two,they will give you a very cool hand held red and white lucky horse shoe shaped thingie that you can use to pick up iron filings if you got any and,and...also good for pulling your magnetic picks outta your guitar if they fall in. You gotta go there sometime BB...cool store.

See Ya

Bill

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/08/03 09:18 PM

A store dedicated to selling nothing but guitar picks???
And even magnetic picks are available there???
That should be a real puller.
Poles apart from any other I have ever heard of.
Haven't got their contact number have you? I may be able to get them to carry my leather picks.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/08/03 11:08 PM

I tried those magnetic picks. They pulled the pickups right out of my electric guitar.
Had to use a ball peen hammer & a drift punch to get 'em back into position.

------------------
DakLander

Couldn't spell tried....

[This message has been edited by daklander (edited 05-08-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/08/03 11:18 PM

Lol Graham yes,yes...picks are fantastic...no wonder we hate to loose them...and a store dedicated to the lovely things...brilliant! Yes I had an idea you'd be interested,and will pass the message on to the good folks at Bob's. Always carry a pick in the pocket...it'll get you outta thight situations...just pull out your pick and the idea pops into people's heads....aahhh...cool dude.Marvelleous things they are!!

Bill

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/08/03 11:26 PM

Holy Northern Christmas Daklander,thanks for heads up that ...I forgot to mention the fineprint warning that comes with the instructions on those little babies...

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 12:04 AM

Was laughing so much, I forgot my password and had to think before i could get in.
Now that is a worry.
Lucky it wasn't the banjo Dak.Ya would have had touse the claw hammer approach.
Reminds me of the time I was playing guitar at my daugher's wedding. It was her second wedding and I had to cut costs.
Got told I was too disdaughtered.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 01:00 AM

Graham, I thought I was the only one to have to "claw hammer" the banjo pickups back into postition. I found that the leather finger picks are much less prone to magnetic interference. The only problem with them is the difficulty in fitting each finger & the leather thumb pick is a real bitch to fit.
I'm still bipolar in that decision.

I've been dis-daughter'd all my life so I'm in complete symtathy there though my newest is doing ok so far. I know things'l change....

Oh, Bill,
I understand that two fer one thang. It doesn't seem to work with acoustics, nor does it work with slide banjo. The danged slide keeps gettin' caught by the magnetic picks so I's suppose the next best thang would be to shuffle the thang ta leather.
------------------
DakLander

[This message has been edited by daklander (edited 05-08-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 01:27 AM

Think I figured ya problem with the leather picks Dak.
Bet my left ones, ya used CHROME tanned leather.
Only genuine vegtable tanning fluid will do. Oak or Wattle for preferance. Any other acacia as a poor third to the wattle is what'll do the job right.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 01:40 AM

Yes I'm a bit steamed right now because I tried my horseshoe thingie on the magnetic picks and duh guess what...it repels them!Almost took my kids eye out thing flying accross the room...so I take it back down to Bobs right?...no sympathy...told me to stop being such a whoose and use a metal fork or something...ok no place is perfect.Anyway Dak with the electric guitar and the magnetics they say you gotta pump iron for at least 3 months to build up your forarms...you know curls with hand held weights...(or you could do babycurls too but best keep a good grip on the baby you don't want the missus upset...she's already upset with the electrifyingly magnetic and them serious looking babes in the front row last concert). Then you gotta strap down everthing tight on your electric...otherwise things start to lift...but the extra work is worth the effort they say,because you can create such a whirlwind action magnet force with the pump strumming...the the earth begins to tilt off its axis,and the building will begin to tip. Kids like it though. Girls like to roll on top of the guys and check out their bones without loosing their reputations...course the guys well the guys you know they ain't complaining.Building management don't like it though.Ya gotta be careful. What can I say.

Bill(never played an electric in his life)D.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 02:03 AM

Shandy -

I have an old chord organ - kid friendly size, wood console, plastic keys - that would be a good candidate for burning if I hold onto it until we're ready to do it again.
The kids never tocuh it anymore since its got a real cheesy sound and the electronic keyboards around the house are much more fun to play.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 02:59 AM

Graham that's got it. The chrome tanned picks are too magnetic. I'l have to try the bronzed picks & see it that'll be better.

Bill, I've been a pumpin' iron since I was a yonker so I don't thing that's the problem. I'm thankful your daughter's eye is still good. I'd be bitchin' at Bob to see if he'd give you a break on the magnetics from here on out.

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 05:59 AM

ok,thanks, doclandman,I just had to loose my imagine a bit after a busy tax season.Daughters eye fine...how'd you know I had a daughter?...peace.

Will

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 04:10 PM

ok try this: shake all the picks to one end of the guitar. Get two chop sticks and cut each so they will just fit into the body.Next drop a dish towel or some cloth into the whole and create a net type catch held secure by the chop sticks.Shake the picks down into the cloth catch.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 04:23 PM

That would work, Bill, but don't you have to loosen the strings to get the net in there?

It just occured to me, that maybe a little trap door at the bottom of the guitar would
work. You know … like the flap on long johns. Just open it and dump it out at the end of each performance.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 05:07 PM

hi AKA(sounds like juditsu!),

Cute suggestion,but the little doorknob on the trap door might be irritating...guess you could recess it( have tea and cookies at the same time) The cloth could slide under the strings and drop down(adventurous types that they are).You could entice the picks to jump into the `net' by lighting a match and yelling `fire,fire...jump,jump picks jump'as you tilt the guitar up.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 07:05 PM

Only if the picks play by ear.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/09/03 11:35 PM

And you had a heard of them.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/10/03 02:26 PM

OK, what happens if you lose or break a pick on stage and you don't have a spare? Happened to me once. So, in a pinch, I cut up my Social Insurance Card into little triangles. Got through the gig, but it took me a year to get another card.

BB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/10/03 03:04 PM

Simple. Ask if anybody's got a spare pick on them. If ya have anybody at the gig that is of course.
There is always at least one person in any crowd just dying to let everybody know HE plays guitar. And is pro enough to always carry a pick.
On the other hand. If you use leather picks, the odds of breaking one is very slim. They do get lostba bit as folks justr love them so steal them at every chance.
To get by youi can always cut the pointy end of ya belt or guitar strap if it is leather and you are away.
Maybe about six to eight layers of gaffa (Duct) tape cut to shape may do the trick too.
Hope that helps.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/10/03 04:49 PM

I'm seeing visions of frantic musicians whipping off their belts to use them as picks while their trousers are dropping.
AAACK

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/10/03 11:10 PM

yeah Tom. It is what is kmown in the industry as belting out a tune.
often resorted to by strapped for cash musicians to attract a crowd.
Real bummer if ya ain't cute though.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/11/03 02:12 AM

'ell, the new crop o' players can't do the belt to pick trick. They don't wear belts & their pants are about falling down anyway so what the hay....

Damn, I lost my airpick. That brings to mind, I can't find my air tuner either. Tough when you have an air string go flat.

------------------
DakLander

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/11/03 03:57 AM

I was chatting a chick upat a concert the other day and she told me I was a blataint flat airer and I didn't know what she meant. Thanks Dak.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/19/03 02:04 PM

I participated in a JP Folks meeting last night. 2 hours before the event, while wrestling with my new puppy, he decided to pierce my right index finger with his baby teeth. Since it didn't stop bleeding, I had to wear a bandaid.
So I step on stage that night, and the first thought that ran through my mind and I blurted out was, "Oh great - now there'll be a whole posting on How do YOU get a bandaid out of your guitar??" There were a few chuckles.

The "sports strip" model has a much softer tone than a leather pick, by the way.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/20/03 12:31 AM

Ah. The pain of puppy love Tom.
Sport strip to me suggests getting ya clothes of and going swimming.
Well in winter I do leave the earmuffs on.
Will see if I can find one Tom.
With my flaying guitar style softer would be nice.
Just had a thought. If ya use double sided sticky tap instead of a bandaid, it has a good chance of sticking to the strings on the way down and not ending up in either the whole or the sunburst thang.
Graham

------------------

[This message has been edited by Graham (edited 05-19-2003).]
Posted By: John Voorpostel

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/27/03 05:12 PM

I used to solve the problem by simply using a pick up. Then I refined the technique and began using pick up lines. That way I sometimes get lucky twice.

[This message has been edited by John Voorpostel (edited 05-27-2003).]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/27/03 09:40 PM

Trouble is John. Get to my age, it is the lines that make it harder to find a pick up.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/28/03 04:48 AM

Did you need a pick me up to use all those lines, John V?

JeanB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/28/03 02:06 PM

Graham, are you talking about finding it hard to find your tan lines?? If so, that's understandable given your proclivity for a total sun experience.

And Jeanniebee, you can't fool me with your new name. To expand on my point, I love my latest pickup. The sounds I can make her emit as I play her...to a crescendo.... Of course I do not use a pick in this instance as the use of fingers makes for a much warmer, deeper sound.
Posted By: Heathcliff

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/29/03 09:02 PM

......I think I'll enjoy this place.. [Linked Image]

------------------
www.nomoredolls.com

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/30/03 02:50 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Heathcliff:
......I think I'll enjoy this place.. [Linked Image]

</font>

Yeah Buddy!

Welcome..

------------------
DakLander
Posted By: Gregory Watton

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 06/19/03 06:01 AM

Ever play a gig and your pic has the nack to fall into the guitar void between strings??? Ever been in a recording session and screwed up the recording by the inevitable butterfinger pic??? Have you had recurring nightmares of your pic falling into the guitar hole on your favorite guitar only to have a giant pic emerge, destroying the guitar from future use??? If so, then this new revolutionary pic is for you....

The Notsoproblematicmagneticguitarpic is here for the frustrated professional AND amatuer guitarist.

What you get:

: An informational booklet on how to use, so simple even your housewife can figure it out.

: A 2 piece magnetic pic set. A magnetic finger attachment specially molded for comfort and our revolutionary notsoproblematicmagneticguitarpic. And, for a limited time offer, a chord to fit into the wall that connects to your finger piece for maximum electromagnetic retrieval when your pic falls into those hard to find places inside your guitar. This technology is so shocking your psychiatrist might want it for his over zealous patients!!!

: A video with never before seen secrets from the evolution of the guitar pic into our very own notsoproblematicmageticguitarpic.

: A 20% discount on your next purchase

Disclaimer: Do not place magnetic finger piece near electronic devices. Not suitable for children under 4 years of age.

For a limited time offer, an easy 3 payments of $19.99 Order while supplies last....

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 06/20/03 12:48 AM

I'm really mad!
I bought one of those Notsoproblematicmagneticguitarpics and kept getting stuck to the walls of my house. [Linked Image]
It's a new house built with the now ecologically sound steel stud structure.
I'm gonna SUE! [Linked Image]

------------------
DakLander

[This message has been edited by daklander (edited 06-19-2003).]
Posted By: Gregory Watton

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 06/20/03 05:39 PM

Did I forget to mention the clause in the contract that says "No Money Back Guaranteed"??? And the part that says each individual purchase obligates you to a binding contract to the notsoproblematicmagneticguitarpic record company where each song you create using our revolutionary guitar pics means you give up ownership of that song to us????
I also forgot to mention that all songs you create using the guitar pic you bought subjects the song to unending use by the world's worst boybands. I guess we might be giving Lou Pearlman a run for his money after all.....
So, the solution: We're driving you up the wall with our product. :-)
Posted By: Softkrome

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/18/03 02:32 PM

With round sound holes, I have found that the shake and flip method usually works. But if you have a "f" hole guitar I have found that a bit of chewing gum on the end of a pencil or stick will get it out once you have it in view. Fliping the guitar usually will not work. Frank

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/18/03 04:18 PM

Hmmm … let me chew on that for awhile … There could be problems with that. How do you get the gum out if it falls off the pencil?
[Linked Image]

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/20/03 05:37 PM

My current problem is when my pick falls into my telecaster, there are no holes to get at it with. Any suggestions?

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/21/03 06:42 AM

Mike. Don't you remember when I advised you to buy the deluxe telecaster with the automatic pick ejection system? But nooooooo. You thought the pick guard would be enough to keep those picks out of your guitar. Now you are just going to have to manipulate those picks out with the right song. When are you going to listen to me?

JeanB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/21/03 06:46 PM

Sorry Jean, I was thinking so hard to find ways to irritate you on the theory site, that I forgot about your pick ejection system, It's worth the $100 I sent you. By the way, you didn't cash the check, do you want to just keep it and have me answer all those questions on the theory site?

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/22/03 07:20 AM

Oh the check. I didn't want to cash it. I framed it and hung it on the wall. I figured your autograph would be worth more so I want to hang on to it if you don't mind. But I didn't realize I was supposed to be irritated. Now I feel like I let you down. I will try harder to be irritated next time. Just let me know though because I can be kind of slow on the uptake sometimes.

Hmmm. The questions. Nah. Time for a new debate, yes? [Linked Image]

JeanB

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/22/03 09:19 PM

Jean,

Isn't debate what you put on the hook?

Mike

------------------
Mike Dunbar Music

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/23/03 01:14 PM

Yes it is, Mike. But you have to be careful that you PICK debates carefully. Hooks are very important also. You have to make sure that the hook will support the catch you want to attract with debate. [Linked Image]

JeanB

[This message has been edited by AKA JeanB (edited 07-23-2003).]
Posted By: ed323

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/24/03 12:05 AM

No, you two, you put 'debate' on 'dehoek' (a Dutch invention)! Sheesh, an' after all that huffin an' puffin over a WORM!

------------------
edx.iuma.com www.soundclick.com/40LOVE www.soundclick.com/EdX

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/25/03 07:48 AM

You're right Ed. Guess I can't wiggle out of that one.

JeanB
Posted By: Bluelizardman

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/25/03 01:03 PM

JJ Cale's solution was to take the entire back off his Harmony and also bore about a 2 1/2 inch hole in the side near the neck--he said he was going to mount a mic there!

It is all documented on the 1979 DVD of him playing with Leon Russell at Leon's studio--check it out--its awsome!

BLM a.k.a. Bobby "Blue' Kett

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/04/03 06:45 PM

Oh Mike, the problem with having no holes in the Telecaster of course also points the way to the solution. Since there is no hole for the pick to fall through in the first place, I can only surmise it is stuck flat to the body somewhere.

My suggestion is to give it a close shave.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/07/03 10:47 AM

the thread that will not die.

Good thing it didn't start as, "How do you break a string?"

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/10/05 11:38 PM

Nope. It just won't.
I came looking for it today after Jeff Flegler (weldaar on SongRamp, who is ading some lovely guitar to quite a few of my songs and backing tracks lately sent me a link showing the easy way to do this.
Very instructive.
No luther shoud be without this little gem form the craftman's secrets book.
http://www.hallmark.com/wcsstore/HallmarkStore/images/products/ecards/nfg1822.swf
Graham

------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/grahamhenderson_music.htm

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/11/05 02:07 AM

Hey Graham!!
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this post up top again!!! Too funny! Never say die.
Hope you are well
Joanne

www.joannelurgio.com

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/13/05 09:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Graham:
Nope. It just won't.
I came looking for it today after Jeff Flegler (weldaar on SongRamp, who is ading some lovely guitar to quite a few of my songs and backing tracks lately sent me a link showing the easy way to do this.
Very instructive.
No luther shoud be without this little gem form the craftman's secrets book.
http://www.hallmark.com/wcsstore/HallmarkStore/images/products/ecards/nfg1822.swf
Graham

</font>

[Linked Image]

------------------
DakLander
Posted By: Kristine Bramwell

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 07/15/05 09:02 PM

If it is an acoustic guitar how about taking off all the strings and sticking your hand into the soundhole. I can't really say what I do becuase it hasn't happened to me yet. However, if it ever does I may undo all the strings. Of course it may take sometime to do all that...

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/05/05 01:01 PM

I dunno Krish.
A bloke might have to tune up again after doing it your suggested way, and I did that last year.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Joe Wrabek

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/05/05 04:48 PM

Great suggestions, everybody. I just gave up myself, and consider the guitar a form of Emergency Pick Storage. If I get really desperate, I will attempt to get one out. Otherwise, it's like having your own private snare drum--if I tell a bad joke on stage, I can do my own rim shots.

Joe
www.soundclick.com/bands/7/joewrabek_music.htm

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/10/05 07:57 PM

I gave up to Joe, but only because I hit on using my guitar as an (albeit it oversized) maraca (no not maracas because I can only handle one at a time....I said it was oversized).

Of course it has led to an entirely new problem. How do I keep them picks inside?

The other night it cause a particularly embarrasing problem as one pick that had a piece of gum on it (yes I did try that one) stuck in a woman's hair. Needless to say she was not happy, especially when we then broke out into some of that wonderful late sixties music like Yummy Yummy Yummy, Dizzy, and Sugar Sugar.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 05/25/06 08:10 PM

Gaffa tape John.
Duct tape to some, but whatever you call it, it will work.Might have to put a bit of cloth over the hole before applying the gaffa as the picks would stick unprotected gaffa and the sound quality would be diminshed.
Graham

------------------
Posted By: Rick Heenan

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 06/02/06 05:43 PM

Has anyone tried loosening the strings and sticking their head in the hole, then spinning the guitar around to locate lost articles?? I found a capo and some bottle caps and size 18 pink frilly panties using this method. No pick, but they are kinda dark colored. Oh! make sure you loosen the strings enough or you'll end up screwing the guitar right on around yer neck. You don't need to thank me...Public Service and all that.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 06/05/06 02:54 AM

Probably not as it would require anybody doing it to retune the guitar after doing so, would be my guess.
Graham

------------------

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/29/07 09:34 AM

Ah, here it is. My favorite guitar thread of all time. It's been a little while since it was near the top, so maybe we can get some new ideas for getting a pick out of a guitar.
Posted By: Doc Lovett

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/29/07 10:04 AM

Play a solid body?
Posted By: Andy Dinnell

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 09/02/07 12:38 AM

usually with great difficulty.

Andy

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/09 03:21 AM

Somebody mentioned this post and I thought I'd bring it back up. Definitely a classic.

Brian

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/23/09 08:28 PM

Thanks Brian. Gotta be one of the best threads ever and great memories.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/13/09 04:00 PM

Oh, I love this thread. It's my favorite. Thanks for bumping it up.
Posted By: Paul Tessitori

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/14/09 07:40 AM

Well metal picks ridged on the back side ans nylon strings when one falls you grab the other and do an emergency rescue operating and cut those bad boys out of the way and grab that lost puppy. Then it isn't return you need or a dropped pick you can halt the show because it's a equipment malfunction and BROKEN STRINGS!!!

On a related note using a guitar full of picks as a weapon I wonder how that compares to a sock full of quarts ... or a pillow case full of dimes ... or a suitcase full of pennies for that matter
Posted By: Mark Kaufman

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 04/14/09 09:23 AM

Drill a hole in the pick and tie a string to it, then wrap the string around your wrist. Then go ahead and throw your pick in the soundhole, just to show off.

If it comes off the string and falls in the hole again, wrap some cheesecloth around the end of a vacuum cleaner hose and stick it in there. There's the pick again.

EDIT: Noooow I go and read what the grandmasters have already written...oh my. Dremels and Cobbers and F Holes. grin
Posted By: stoney_rohde

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/09/10 05:18 AM

I just get another pick. My goal is to see how many picks it takes to fill my guitar. I have been working on it for years.
Posted By: Dan Sullivan

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/09/10 05:47 AM

This seems to be proof that old threads never die. They just seem to unravel.
Posted By: Jack Swain

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/09/10 05:48 AM

Just drill a tiny hole in the back of your guitar just large enough to fit your hand in so that you can reach in and get the pick without removing the strings. That, or very carefully cut the back off and attach some hinges and a clasp so that you can simply open the back and retrieve any lost picks!

If you need answers, man we got 'em here!

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/09/10 09:19 PM

I hear Martin is patenting a hinge backed guitar for this very reason, to keep the insides clear of picks, dust bunnies, pink frilly underwear, broken string ends etc. The hinge is on the bottom, and the clasp is on the top, so it is easy to simply reach inside while strumming open strings for awhile. Works best with a tone deaf crowd of course. Ask for it by name...it's simple to remember. They just add an hb , like the Martin D28hb

Taylor too is getting into the game, but they're hinging their's on the top and clasping on the bottom to ensure they are not in violation of Martin's patent. They're calling theirs a "backflipz"

No word yet on how they're handling left handed guitars, but Takemine won't care. The inside scoop is they're working on a back slider model.

In any case, it's nice to see they're all responding to customer demand for a built in pick retrieval system , or a BIPRS as it is now known by insiders.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/09/10 09:27 PM

I'm glad I stopped getting drunk and posting here. smile
Posted By: Kolstad

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/09/10 10:07 PM

I don't do anything.. the pick just pass through the other hole in the body of that ole guitar.. but for squat protection from all the picks on my floor, I always attach a piece of gum on each pick, so it'll stick to the floor.. it has really helped my pickin'
Posted By: Wysha Thorne-Anderson

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 01/13/13 12:50 AM

It's been a LONG time since this thread was updated. As for me, I just lay my guitar down flat, get the pick into position, and my hands are small enough for me to be able to fit one into the sound hole to fish it out. Sometimes, it takes a few tries, but it works for me, and my hand (or hands if the pick is being that troublesome) will recover fully within a minute.
Posted By: Colin Ward

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 01/13/13 01:25 AM

Wow - I haven't seen this thread before.... I just use a plastic magnet on a string.
Posted By: Lynn Orloff

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 01/13/13 03:30 AM

You could try talking real nice and sweet to the guitar and say "c'mon spit it out, you can do it" smile
Posted By: ben willis

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 01/13/13 04:19 AM

I smash the guitar into the wall and go buy a new one.
Posted By: Roy Cooper

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 01/13/13 11:51 AM

The trick is to rub the pick furiously against your leg every 2nd or third beat to build up the static as you play. Then when it falls through the hole, just run your hand through your hair to electrify it. Then walla.. your hand will attract the pick out through the hole. static magnetism.

And I don't play the guitar. I'm just an inventor (part time)and I got a £250,000 lottery grant last year, just to study this particular problem.

They loved my solution.

I reckon us newbies can get a bit more mileage out of this super topic

God Bless Roy and Helen

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 01/13/13 09:05 PM

This one and the death of the Pillsbury Dough Boy thread are my absolute favourites.

Within this one, Mike Dunbar and his dremels are absolute gems.

Definitely worth going for a coffee and reading this one from start to finish.

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/18/13 08:07 AM

If you want some great laughs, read this post! -Brian
Posted By: PopTodd

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/13 07:57 PM

Play a solid body.
Posted By: Travis david

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/13 09:12 PM

Shake it down, some times it gets stubborn and wont move, so I swear at it lol. That usually works
Travis
Posted By: David Gill

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 03/21/13 10:51 PM

I tried the shake/flip method but instead of a pick, a little white triangle appeared with the words "Try again". So I did.

A triangle appeared again but with the words "Outlook not so good".

So, I tried a third time and the triangle appeared with the words "You shoulda got a turtle".

Go figure.

Peace,

(still without a pick) Dave
Posted By: Derek Hines

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 10/17/13 10:21 PM

I just use really giant guitar picks, like baking sheet size, nice thing is if you decide to finger pick for a minute you can used em for a slide smile
Posted By: Jeff Epstein

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 11/26/16 09:22 AM

Actually, nobody has mentioned a drinking straw...which any bar has. Take a bit of duct tape and apply to the straw just below the top.Then fold it back on itself so the adhesive is facing out, and bend it over the top. Now go fish out your pick!
Posted By: TC Perkins

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 11/29/16 09:47 AM

Just leave it in there, and grab a new one. It adds a nice resonance rattling around in there during a lively set!

Posted By: maccharles

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/01/17 06:22 PM

Turn guitar over, soundhole facing you. Jerk up and left, causing the pick to fall into the lower left of the guitar. In one motion, jerk up and back toward you....pick falls back out of soundhole almost every time.
Posted By: Kolstad

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/02/17 09:42 PM

What do you mean get your pick out, I joined a band shaking that thing, filling in for the maracas dude..

Re: How do YOU get your pick out of your guitar? - 08/14/17 08:24 PM

And my favourite for your cup of coffee
© 2017 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards