JPF Home Page
Posted By: Marvin Adcock A Nice Christmas Present - 12/16/15 12:04 AM
I received a nice surprise this afternoon. I received an email from Crucial Music, one of the music licensing companies that has accepted some of my songs to pitch to film and television. I was expecting the usual quarterly royalty report stating "you have earned $0.00 for the quarter", but instead I learned that ABC had picked up my song "Letting Go" for the show "Switched At Birth" to be aired on December 31st. It doesn't even pay for the cost of one song demo, but it is still pretty damn cool.

Merry Christmas Everybody,
Marvin
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/16/15 12:45 AM
Congratulations, Marvin:

Good news indeed! Sorry the money coming in does not match the money that went out... but you may be able to "write it off" depending on how your songwriting business is structured. No matter what, it is more "Ammo" for the resume in pitching your future works. As always, best of luck and thanks for sharing this good news with us. Heaven knows, we need a little good news from time to time. LOL! (Before I forget, "Merry Christmas" to you and yours.) ----Dave
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/16/15 12:48 AM
That's great Marvin! Hope they get you many more placements. Add the PRO royalties and you may make out a lot better than you thought.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Everett Adams Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/16/15 04:37 PM
Congratulations Marvin. Always feels good when you have been "approved and accepted" by the industry. You have some good stuff and should be getting "accepted" more often, but we all know that it doesn't always work that way.
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/16/15 05:43 PM
Big congrats to you on this, Marvin. Crucial has only taken 2 of my songs, out of countless that I have sent, but I'm still awaiting that important e-mail. smile Much success with it.

Ricki
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/16/15 11:59 PM
Alright Marvin!Way to go! Mike
Posted By: Marvin Adcock Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/17/15 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I inquired with Crucial Music about the air date, and come to find out it was on October 5th. I missed their email notifying me I guess. Thanks again!

Marvin
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/17/15 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Marvin Adcock
Thanks everyone. I inquired with Crucial Music about the air date, and come to find out it was on October 5th. I missed their email notifying me I guess. Thanks again!

Marvin

Yeah, that's the nature of the beast Marvin. Never find out the air date until after it airs. I find a lot of my placements on Youtube. If you know the episode number it will be easy to find here: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tting%20go&sc=0-26&sp=-1&sk=

Best, John smile
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/19/15 08:14 PM
That's awesome Marvin! You're on TV, something that 99.9% of people making music cannot say! Congrats!
Posted By: Colin Ward Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/19/15 08:47 PM
Well done!
Posted By: Marvin Adcock Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/20/15 04:00 PM
Thanks again everyone. I googled the episode, and sure enough they used the intro and first verse. Not the same as a major cut, but still pretty cool, and it paid better than any indie cuts I've ever had.

Best,
Marvin
Posted By: Duke Sheppard Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 12/23/15 06:48 PM
That's great! Congratulations!
Posted By: Lynn Orloff Re: A Nice Christmas Present - 01/23/16 04:11 AM
I missed this!! Very good news and very well deserved. John knows a lot about these licensing opportunities and does quite well.

My question might be if they use your song (or as you stated parts of your song) and later an artist wanted to use the song as well in it's entirety, does that diminish or enhance your chances of that happening or is it simply neutral???

Congratulations and yes it doesn't hurt the resume!!!

Best,
Lynn smile
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards