JPF Home Page
Posted By: Donna Dutchess THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 01/07/17 02:57 AM
Hi. I've always been told I'm too literal of a writer. I needed to learn to use more picture words and metaphors. So here's my attempt. I need some critique on these lyrics. I've made some changes.

I'VE GOT A NEW SONG
By Donna Dutchess

Verse 1:

Ideas flowing like a river
Running through the corners of my mind
Screaming out at me as I try to sleep
Get out of bed and write it down.

Gotta catch that inspiration before the visitation is gone!

Verse 2:
Bearing my soul before you
Pride laid out upon the lines
Like a picture I will paint you
A story unfolding in the rhymes

Gotta catch that inspiration before the visitation is gone!
Chorus:
The noise turns into music
Thoughts morph into words
Heart beat keeps the rhythm of my soul
My mind sings along
Before the coming of the dawn
Lyrics and music are right where they belong
I got a new song. oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh, oh I got a new song.
Bridge:
Change a word
Tweak a chord
Hours of changes before it can be heard.

Chorus:
The noise turns into music
Thoughts morph into words
Heart beat keeps the rhythm of my soul
My mind sings along
Before the coming of the dawn
Lyrics and music are right where they belong
I got a new song. oh oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh, oh I got a new song.

Posted By: Donna Dutchess Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 01/11/17 06:19 PM
SO, 70 people have viewed this and not one comment. That means one of 2 things:

1. The lyrics suck and no one wants to comment.

2. The lyrics are perfect and there's no need for improvement.

I wish I knew which.
Posted By: Jim Colyer (D) Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 01/12/17 10:28 PM
Donna, this is a wonderful description of how a song comes into being. Songwriters know all about getting out of bed to write something down.
Posted By: Barry David Butler (D) Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 01/12/17 10:36 PM
Perfect description.....I was once in a Bar and thought of a melody AND some words...IDEA I called my home and sang this melody and said the words on my
answering phone....lol

Sometimes I don't want to get out of bed so I keep a notebook next to my bed...LOL

AH the life of a wannabee songwriter...

Great story here and SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true...

Barry
Posted By: Michael LeBlanc Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 01/13/17 11:10 PM
yep,that's one way these songs are born.I'd like to see you describe why you wrote this certain song,was it a heartbreak,a new love or whatever.Or maybe that's another song.I enjoyed it Donna. Mike
Posted By: Donna Dutchess Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 01/18/17 09:58 PM
thank you everyone for your words on encouragement. Now its time to finish the melody.
Posted By: Donna Dutchess Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 03/23/17 04:35 PM
Well, I finished the song and had the demo made. VERY happy with the quality of the demo. SongCity did a great job. Thank you for everyone for your words, encouragement and advice. Now here's the new issue: are the words not universal enough? I don't know anyone who isn't working on a project, whether it be construction, crafts, painting or songwriting who doesn't lose sleep thinking about getting the job done. But it just may be that I needed to make this song more universal.... Does a song always have to be about love????? Listen to the song and let me know your thoughts. BTW, I HATE conforming. I'm a rebel through and through. I think this makes me unique. Who's with me?

http://donnadutchessmusic.com/track/1208437/i-ve-got-a-new-song
Posted By: Trollboy 1 Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 03/23/17 05:55 PM
I think its great!
Posted By: Roy Cooper Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 03/24/17 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Donna Dutchess
Well, I finished the song and had the demo made. VERY happy with the quality of the demo. SongCity did a great job.

They did a great Job Donna and I also think the song is superb

well done

God Bless Roy and Helen
Posted By: beechnut79 Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 03/25/17 06:56 PM
Fantastic arrangement describing the way new songs often originate. About a month ago I went to hear a visiting singer-songwriter who told us that many of her songs came out of dreams. Another songwriter we just may have heard of a time or also did that---Dylan.

I don't believe I have ever woken up in the middle of night with ideas. Very often I will read a title or hear someone say a phrase that I thought would make a good song and I write it down in a notebook. Many of those titles have not reach fulfillment yet. One of those I haven't done anything with came about when I was out driving I saw a sign that I thought read Minus 25. Upon closer examination it read Wings 25c. But the original title stuck and the scenario, if it ever gets done, would be a group of guys forming a band and seeking a title. It is a very cold winter night and the weather report said that the wind chill was 25 degrees below zero. There you have it: how about calling ourselves Minus 25. Don't know if I'll ever get to this, but that's an example.
Posted By: Donna Dutchess Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 03/25/17 08:19 PM
Songwriting for me is a very spiritual exercise. I'm NOT talking about religion here. Being spiritual and religious are 2 different animals. I'm a spiritual person. My songs come to me on a spiritual level. If anyone has never experienced that, then try meditating. Its a process of emptying your mind of all the garbage and let inspiration take hold. (to be inspired means to be in-spirit). There is NO way that I could come up with a lot of what I do otherwise. Not that what I "receive" is perfect. My imperfect mind doesn't always get what the spirit is trying to say. But I give credit where credit is due to God.
Posted By: Donna Dutchess Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 03/25/17 08:19 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words.
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney Re: THE BIRTH OF A NEW SONG - 02/22/18 11:14 AM
Hey Donna, where have you been?
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards