JPF Home Page
Posted By: Jim_L Jessica Culpepper Music Publishing Scam - 08/07/09 09:33 PM
Hello all, I just wanted to mention an email i got today from an 'agency' i've never heard from or sent anything to:

"It does not appear we will be able to place your music, which you sent to Jessica Culpepper Music Publishing BMI. Your music is high quality. It just doesn't fit our market. I suggest you contact a professional song plugger, who has access to a broader song market.

Ambassador Charlie Ray is well known, very successful at placing songs for his clients, and is the outside song plugger we hire when we must have an outside plugger. He has been in the music industry for over 40 years. He has the contacts, name recognition, and creditability to walk songs onto tour buses, backstage at concerts, and into offices none of us can get into. When you visit his web site www.charlieraymusic.com and see his long successful track record, you'll see why he can do these things. -Anna"

I then wrote back:

"I must confess I am confused by it as I was unaware that you had any of my songs. I haven't submitted anything to your company - perhaps your email was supposed to be directed towards someone else and was sent to me by mistake?
But if not, I have some questions you could hopefully answer for me.

How did you get my email?
I know my co-lyricist Ron Gendron had sent one of our cd's to someone in Nashville but when I asked him, he wasn't familiar with your company either. Do you have our song cd (Gendron & Lassiter) and if so, how did you obtain it?
You commented: "Your music is high quality. It just doesn't fit our market", If indeed your referring to our/my songs, I appreciate the comment and would like to know what your current song market is. Your website appears to tend towards Country music of which Ron & I have written and are on the cd."

Then I recieved an answer:

"Hi Jim, we no longer have the packaging. It was destroyed before filing. The CD was shredded and your email deleted as soon as my email was sent. I have no farther information to offer you. I'm sorry, but I can't help you solve the mystery. I truly wish I could. -Anna"

Hmm, do most companies really do this to submissions and delete prospective client info this way?

I then looked up this 'Culpepper' company and started seeing lots of scam post/topics about it. The CharlieRay website doesn't look very professional either (I could do better) and really doesn't have any true content/info.

FYI,
-Jim
I, as well as many others have received mail or now E-mail from Charlie Ray. I have never sent him anything either. From your E-mail it makes you think someone has a "Screw Loose" up there.
I got the same email, mass sent out to try and hook a few fish, lure them into the shark tank. I wonder if they get a few bites.
I guess suckers must like Spam or they wouldn't keep making it.
They're both well known as "questionable" Bill
However, you might be sticking ypur neck out a little with your heading--not sure on that
Wy
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards