JPF Home Page

Best upload site

Posted By: Martin Lide

Best upload site - 06/18/19 05:46 PM

I have been uploading songs to Itunes and Spotify via ReverbNation.
Recently I took the songs down and I am going to go at it again with a plan this time.
Can anyone suggest what they think is the best way to get one's songs to the retail sites, be it directly or through a third party service?

Thanks

Martin
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair

Re: Best upload site - 06/18/19 06:02 PM

I use Amuse. The upside - it's free and it's easy to do. You use a phone app linked to Dropbox, incredibly easy once you have it set up, which takes about 15 minutes or less. The downside - pretty basic sales information and it's only available through the app, which is probably not so good if you prefer using a computer. Also, I have seen the length of time it takes them to process and release to stores increasing a bit. The same is true of their response to questions.
https://amuse.io/

Spotify is rolling out a program for artists to release their music directly to them. It's in beta at the moment, so you have to be invited to use it. Also, of course, you would still need to use a distributor to reach other stores.

Re: Best upload site - 06/18/19 11:03 PM

RVN charges me 10 bux a song and only delivers to itunes and spotty and a couple that I never heard of. Gonna check in to Spotify direct. Thanks

Re: Best upload site - 06/18/19 11:03 PM

RVN charges me 10 bux a song and only delivers to itunes and spotify and a couple that I never heard of. Gonna check in to Spotify direct. Thanks
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney

Re: Best upload site - 06/19/19 08:56 AM

Check into CD Baby and see how much they charge. If you do a collection as a single "album" just give it a name and make it as long of an album as you need. If you have 100 songs, call it an Anthology and see if you can get it up on CD Baby and all the digital sites they work with as a single album. It might work.
Posted By: Everett Adams

Re: Best upload site - 06/19/19 10:21 AM

I'm using Distro Kid. One flat fee for the year put up as many songs as you'd like. I have hundreds up there now, still posting.

Re: Best upload site - 06/19/19 02:36 PM

I almost went with Distrokid too. I think they have a pretty good reputation. Not free, like Amuse, but reasonably priced, as I recall. Spotify now has a minority stake.

I found the comparison at the link below to be incredibly helpful.
https://aristake.com/post/cd-baby-tunecore-ditto-mondotunes-zimbalam-or
Posted By: maccharles

Re: Best upload site - 06/19/19 05:21 PM

Distro kid for me, paid for itself pretty quickly. About 36 bucks a year.

Re: Best upload site - 06/19/19 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

Before I posted the question, I had googled for an answer to this and the majority of internet articles that I came across seemed to favor DISTRO KID, as is the case here.
So for me Distro Kid it will be.

Thanks again folks

Martin

Re: Best upload site - 07/31/19 12:15 PM

Update to this post....

I just uploaded my first actual album through DISTROKID.
3 days later and it is already live on itunes and Apple music. Several more outlets are in the process.
It was very quick and easy. Highly recommend.

Martin

Re: Best upload site - 07/31/19 12:51 PM

That's quick, Martin. As I mentioned above, I have used Amuse, and the last time, it took well over a week. It wasn't really a problem, except that it made it difficult to time giving Spotify advance notice, so that they could consider it for playlists.

Re: Best upload site - 08/01/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
That's quick, Martin. As I mentioned above, I have used Amuse, and the last time, it took well over a week. It wasn't really a problem, except that it made it difficult to time giving Spotify advance notice, so that they could consider it for playlists.

Gavin

The only ones that I am watching are Itunes and Spotify. I uploaded to Distrokid on a Saturday. Itunes was up by Tuesday. Spotify was up by Wednesday.

Distrokid seems really smooth and user friendly.

Marty.
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney

Re: Best upload site - 08/20/19 06:45 PM

Marty,

How much did it cost to get on Spotify through Distrokid and what do they take on the backend? How does it compare to other sites?

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Best upload site - 08/20/19 09:23 PM

Brian.

There was a couple of different plans. I went for the basic plan. I recall it being $30 per year give or take. And that is for as many songs as I would like to upload in a year. ReverbNation was $10 a song. The upload was smooth quick and user-friendly and you're done. Distro kid becomes your record label. They make no claims to the rights of your song. I don't know what the revenue split is, because in my case , nothing divided by something remains nothing. No reason to sweat it.

The gist of it, it is a low annual fee for as many songs as you want to put up and it is very easy to put them up on distrokid in one place and then just sit back and watch them spread to the internet, Spotify, Apple music and so forth.

For an amateur like me who wants to get stuff up on real sites for a cheap price and easily... It was perfect

Marty
© 2020 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards