JPF Home Page

Joe Jackson still kickin it...

Posted By: Fdemetrio

Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/24/19 07:32 PM

He was on Fallon the other night. New album, sounds like hes channeling his inner Jack White here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY34GI5xTA0

His two albums, Im the man and Look Sharp, were exactly what I strive to be as a singer songwriter. What's interesting too is that his music always had lots of guitar featured, being he was a piano player. Great writer and artist.
Posted By: Brian Austin Whitney

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/25/19 05:28 AM

I love some Joe Jackson who was a constant must play in high school hang outs. I think I have all his albums pre 2000 when I stopped buying any albums due to our awards constantly bringing in new albums to listen to. He's got some great "greatest hits" type songs, but also some excellent obscure tracks mixed through all his material. I might have to check out the new album on Spotify.
Posted By: Cheyenne

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/25/19 06:40 AM

Having spent some years in Southampton England U K I met

Joe Jackson and his Band quite a few times in fact Dave Houghton

his first Drummer , pulled out of a U S A tour owing to personnel

reasons ---that was the tour with Billy Joel , Joe sent him home to

Gosport in Hampshire where most of the original band lived via The Concord

and this was where I met Dave who toured with my band around the UK

for at least three years , we got on really well supporting many name acts

from the U K during the eighties Joe is a great character and later on he

thought nothing of following us to a gig and having a Blow on his Saxophone

whilst sitting in with us in between his other major tours

I never knew the exact story behind his success but he told us he had been turned

down by every U K Record Company, and actually got his first major break in America

after almost giving up any ideas of major success ; havent heard his last album, but think

I ought to buy it A very down to earth character was JOE , no airs or graces

WOW just listened to ''Absolutely Fabulous" Great he has not aged and voice is a good as it was

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/25/19 03:30 PM

Thanks for that Cheyenne! That's such a great story and nice to hear Joe is just one of us folk! I hadn't heard about your career before this, sorry if I missed it. It sounds like you must have many great stories to tell. I am trying to finish up the music awards so I can start a YouTube channel to talk to musicians with interesting stories to tell. Hopefully you'll be open to sharing your story once that begins, health willing in my case.

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/25/19 03:52 PM

He's so damn talented, as a musician and songwriter. He showed you could be punk rock and raw, but still be a great musician and artist. He can play and write any kind of music

is She Really Going Out With Himis a song I cant turn off when i hear it on radio, even though ive heard it a zillion times

But I too like the "filler" songs better. He has a pessimistic view of the world, but in a fun and entertaining way. Sarcasm, and sharp tongueness. And the voice to match it

Kind of like an english Warren Zevon.

If you wanna be a singer songwriter please listen to these two albums: I'm The Man and Look Sharp.

Some selected favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34s98WpwJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUTdIRPfRRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEFDS9-CcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xqtVoD-R8
Posted By: maccharles

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/27/19 11:35 PM

Joe is still the shizznit.

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 01/30/19 10:09 PM

Hey Mac, have you done any new stuff since you took a break from the song a day bit? I really enjoy your work as have the music awards judges and I wondered if you're planning to restart the song a day for life? I thought the quality of work you put out was impressive and the work pace seemed to suit you creatively.

Brian
Posted By: maccharles

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 02/03/19 07:54 PM

Hiya Brian!

I am currently working on stuff for other people, but plan to get back to my stuff as soon as I can.

Thanks for the props.

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 06/15/19 04:48 AM

I am about to go check out Joe's new album on Spotify.. has anyone else heard it yet?

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 06/15/19 07:11 AM

Okay, so it is vintage Joe Jackson.. not much more to say. I think it is better than Fast Forward, his last studio album, but far less songs. If you like Joe Jackson, you'll love it, if not then you won't become a fan because of this one. If you don't know Joe, then go check out his greatest hits first then come to this one later if you love his stuff. Anyone else?

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 06/15/19 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Austin Whitney
Okay, so it is vintage Joe Jackson.. not much more to say. I think it is better than Fast Forward, his last studio album, but far less songs. If you like Joe Jackson, you'll love it, if not then you won't become a fan because of this one. If you don't know Joe, then go check out his greatest hits first then come to this one later if you love his stuff. Anyone else?

I enjoyed it very much as well. Out of all the old guys who still put out albums, he makes it worthwhile. He's probably in my top ten of favorite songwriters.

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 06/16/19 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Originally Posted by Brian Austin Whitney

I enjoyed it very much as well. Out of all the old guys who still put out albums, he makes it worthwhile. He's probably in my top ten of favorite songwriters.

Yeah, I mean he sounded just like he did in the 80's! It could easily have been released at any time in his long career and would have fit in. I really felt like I was back in college on this one.

Brian
Posted By: Lilly

Re: Joe Jackson still kickin it... - 09/22/19 01:19 PM

Steppin' Out is an absolutely awesome song!
© 2019 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards