JPF Home Page

The key

Posted By: Irwin

The key - 05/18/18 12:20 AM

Please, can someone tell me in which key this singer is singing. I can only fine the key of a song when it is an instrumental song.

https://soundcloud.com/irwin-abrigo/cry-last-night
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick

Re: The key - 05/18/18 12:38 AM

I only listened for the first couple measures Irwin. The key of D-Minor (one flat) fits the melody. And since 95% of all songs are in the key of the first chord, I'd say that would be it - 95% sure. Hope this helps.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Irwin

Re: The key - 05/18/18 08:02 PM

Thanks John,

The key is D minor and I know that (one Flat) is B flat. I now learn too that most songs are in the key of the first chords. This was very helpful I appreciate it a lot.

Irwin
Posted By: John Lawrence Schick

Re: The key - 05/19/18 05:33 PM

Glad I was helpful Irwin!

Best, John :")
Posted By: Pat Hardy

Re: The key - 03/25/19 10:24 PM

John mentions that most songs are in the key of the first chord. I think this is more true of the last chord than the first, and the last note he sings is an F sharp. Unless my piano is out of tune (and it very well might be, it's been a long time since I've had it tuned ) , that is the note he is singing.

But, it could be either F# major, or F# minor chord being the harmony for the note, but the way he resolves, it sounds like a major chord to my ears (though it does sound like a woman singing, or a male with a high voice ) .

Posted By: Fdemetrio

Re: The key - 03/26/19 02:45 PM

It would depend what chord was used. Im not sure melodies by themselves have keys, because they can be changed by what chord is being played. I know scales do.

If your just trying to find a reference point, like not knowing what the note being sung is, than Id say John is correct.
Posted By: Cheyenne

Re: The key - 04/10/19 07:38 AM

In effect melodies must be sung or demonstrated in a KEY and often but not always
a song starts on The Tonic Chord But of course a demonstration can be sung
without a musical instrument we whistle a tune and we chose a key even if its
not known to the whistler
© 2019 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards