JPF Home Page

Stars Die Too

Posted By: Ricky Layne

Stars Die Too - 01/19/21 07:20 AM

Just about finished with this one. It's been in the works for a number of years on and off. Last time I tried to get it done my hard drive crashed and I lost all the stems...my fault obviously!

Looking for mix suggestions mostly but open to whatever would make the song better. I could extend the solo section? Or the outro?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/subspacefreq/stars-die-too-master-with-eq/s-dlKVlW7sMsP

STARS DIE TOO

You
Left my atmosphere
Simply disappeared
Where'd you go?

Still see your face
Only now my faith and strength 
Are gone

It's so cold
In my world
Without your smile
Suddenly I'm alone
Every turn
Another cry
Should have known
Stars die too

You 
Ran out of time
Here you lie
Etched in stone

Hear a thousand words
But without your voice 
How can this be home?

It's so cold
In my world
Without your smile
Suddenly I'm alone
Every turn
Another cry
Should have known
Stars die too

I reach to find you
Though I know you've gone
Light years away
So there's no response
Your light outshined
Every other star
But you couldn't stay
Now I'm in the dark

It's so cold
In my world
Without your smile
And I don't want to let go
I miss you're smile
I miss you're smile 
And I should have known
Stars die too
Stars die
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/19/21 10:30 PM

Ricky,

Love this!

This is a great drum track and sounds mixed fairly conventionally--maybe increase drum volumes 2db (automate) in spots where the accents are not on vocal or harmonies and also add a little more reverb to the drums--especially in those transitions. I think this will make that drum track more dynamic to match the dynamics of the song vibe--JMO

You "wowed" me! I'm digging this powerful vibe.

steady-eddie

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/20/21 06:25 AM

Eddie!

Nice to hear form you. Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions. I have revamped the drums on the mix below. I wasn't able to automate them yet. I just would like to know if the drums sound better for the song overall. I think they sound big and I really like them from the bridge on. If I turn them down for the beginning of the song do you think the tone of them is better than before?

Note: New mix is posted on original post.
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/20/21 03:57 PM

Ricky,

Much better to me with the tweaked drum track! -- feels more attacking and dynamic as should be with a modern pop/rock song today. One tiny tweak--but be careful as turning one track up many times causes problems with other track relationships--but try turning up lead vox just 1/2 db only. I think especially with the harmonies, the lead vox should be slightly more dominant and louder than the rhythm accompaniment and harmonies--Just my ears however and on my headphones. I'm really talking final polish tweak.

Great song man!

steady-eddie

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/21/21 03:45 AM

Super helpful Eddie!

Thank you.

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/23/21 01:53 AM

New mix posted.

Changed the drum tracks, fixed the vocals, and tried to master the track.

Sound OK to you guys?
Posted By: IronKnee

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/23/21 04:19 AM

Awesome production, Ricky!
Great song.
It all sounds good to me!!
-Tom
Posted By: ant

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/23/21 02:32 PM

Nice tune. I like all the various movements and builds. I think there's a bit more potential on the drums but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps a bit too compressed, but stylistically it suits. I'm curious what references you're using, maybe that'll give me a better idea.

..ant
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/24/21 01:12 AM

I really like this. Very powerful. I especially like the way the pre-chorus builds and then the intensity actually lessens a little as it resolves into the chorus. Sounded a bit like the Beatles there. The only bit I don't like quite so much is the end of the chorus leading into the hook. It feels awkward, as if there's something missing. I tied adding a couple of words as I sang along and it seemed to flow better like this...

And I guess I should have known
Stars die too

Obviously the last line would have to be sung differently, with less time to dwell on each note.

It's maybe just me (it usually is). And note that I was singing along, so that has to be good smile
Posted By: IronKnee

Re: Stars Die Too - 01/25/21 05:23 AM

Great song, Ricky......................and good luck!!
-Tom
© 2021 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards