JPF Home Page

All The Hell That Left With You

Posted By: Sunset Poet

All The Hell That Left With You - 11/28/20 03:16 AM

All The Hell that Left With You

Video Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr1m3qy2pQk

Lyrics in the Video
Title, artwork and video should explain the song.

Done entirely me alone at my house. (Covid style)
Me on Vox, Rhythm Guitars, lead guitar

Everything else is virtual. BIAB and EZ Keys.
Posted By: JAPOV

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/28/20 08:05 AM

Brilliant! Should have done a "performance video with attitude" though smile
Posted By: Travis david

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/28/20 09:58 AM

Excellent lyrically production and vocal as well Marty
My only negative feeling is the guy comes over as a whinger.
There's some good put down lines certainly but I think at the present time maybe folks want to hear more happy, slappy positive songs.
I might be wrong, I often am, my ex wife told me so.
But nonetheless a good song
John
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/28/20 12:53 PM

Sunset,

Cleverly written. I like the sarcastic humor contrasting with the upbeat music. A good BIAB as well. I did think the song was ending before the spoken last verse--maybe look at that transition? Enjoyed this song!

steady-eddie
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/28/20 04:57 PM

Ha! Good one. Like Eddie says, the upbeat tune pairs deliciously with the lyric. I also agree with Eddie about the ending. I don't think that adds anything.
Love the guitar solo. Is that you or BIAB.

Really enjoyed this. Has a real old time country feel, and that's the kind of country I like.

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/29/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by JAPOV
Brilliant! Should have done a "performance video with attitude" though smile

Thanks Tony. Sorry I didnt get back sooner. Was on the interstate all day.
I checked with my record label about a performance video and they told me that they were broke. smile

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/29/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Travis david
Excellent lyrically production and vocal as well Marty
My only negative feeling is the guy comes over as a whinger.
There's some good put down lines certainly but I think at the present time maybe folks want to hear more happy, slappy positive songs.
I might be wrong, I often am, my ex wife told me so.
But nonetheless a good song
John

Thanks John.

Whinger?
The song was triggered by a high school pal who went through a nuclear wasteland divorce a few years ago. She cheated with his best friend and ended up marrying him. Kids and all the boxes checked. She called my friend to check on him during covid and got sappy and nostalgic. He told her not to call again. He is a very upbeat guy and when he was telling me about it...he became imbittered in a comical way. I wrote him the song.

I see the singer as a guy sitting alone. drinking scotch and reflecting very honestly on an episode in his life in which he "lost." With age and hindsight he realizes how much worse it could have been if it had dragged on as he wanted. He celebrates the hell that he never knew. Amor fati.

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/29/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by E Swartz
Sunset,

Cleverly written. I like the sarcastic humor contrasting with the upbeat music. A good BIAB as well. I did think the song was before the spoken last verse--maybe look at that transition? Enjoyed this song!

steady-eddie

Thanks Eddie.

I worked on all of the transitions including that one. Nothing I tried worked real well. I finally settled on it the way that it is. None of my songs are ever finished. One day with fresh ears, I'll take a look at that again.

Thanks for commenting.

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/29/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
Ha! Good one. Like Eddie says, the upbeat tune pairs deliciously with the lyric. I also agree with Eddie about the ending. I don't think that adds anything.
Love the guitar solo. Is that you or BIAB.

Really enjoyed this. Has a real old time country feel, and that's the kind of country I like.

Thanks Gavin.
When my wife heard it she immediately said that it sounds like "Urban Cowboy Music."
It is me in the guitar solo. Went straight into the DAW with a tele and used a plug in called AMPIRE and then EQ'd it. First time to try it and was happy with the result and not having to drag any amps around.

Thanks for stopping by. Rushed to get out of town today. Will get it up on your site soon as I can. I have a chromebook with me. Not sure if I can get it done with that or not. Will try.

Thanks for commenting.

Marty smile
Posted By: Fdemetrio

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/30/20 04:29 AM

Sounds clean and good. I thought the chorus was catchy. You seem to favor cynical love songs.

I don't think you've topped Marfa Plain.

I think you could have used a pre chorus before the chorus, and , maybe a better transition from end of chorus back into verse. Biab gives you general rhythms to do that with.

But I enjoyed listening. Are you actually tripling the vocal in the chorus? Or doubling with reverb, sounds very choir like.

One idea for had was counter melody.

I just wanna thank you for the fights we never had...(fights we never had) starting on had....

Just and idea. Really like the chorus!

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 11/30/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fdemetrio
Sounds clean and good. I thought the chorus was catchy. You seem to favor cynical love songs.

I don't think you've topped Marfa Plain.

I think you could have used a pre chorus before the chorus, and , maybe a better transition from end of chorus back into verse. Biab gives you general rhythms to do that with. Black Friday sale.

But I enjoyed listening. Are you actually tripling the vocal in the chorus? Or doubling with reverb, sounds very choir like.

One idea for had was counter melody.

I just wanna thank you for the fights we never had...(fights we never had) starting on had....

Just and idea. Really like the chorus!

Thanks Fd

I wanted the song to have a split personality between the verse and the chorus, so I went from a single voice to a barroom singalong choir. It seemd a little abrupt so I added big drums going in and tried to fade back in in to the verse. Maybe not perfect, but I'm okay with it. The barroom singalong is kind of a rough imperfect thing anyways.

On the chorus, I did a main singer track and then I recorded 4 backing tracks by stepping around the mic and singing in 4 different places in the room. Then I slightly pitch shifted them and EQd them a little differently. After I finished I bought WAVES doubler. and monkeyed with it. That might have done a better job but I had already uploaded to distrokid before I discovered it.

Thanks for you comments. Really appreciate it.

Question: BIAB delivers some pretty nice drum fills. I had to cut and paste to get what I wanted. Do you recommend EZ Drums?

Marty

PS...As I sit here typing, I am 25 miles from Marfa. wink
Posted By: Fdemetrio

Re: All The Hell That Left With You - 12/01/20 01:54 AM

Ez Drums in my opinion are the best there is, some would argue and say superior drums...same company, but es drums does everything I need it to. You can control what's played much better between what's already there, which with enough add ons is really sufficient, but also the ability to edit with midi.

But I don't think for what you're doing that its going to be a game changer. Biab fills sound pretty decent. Guitars are what biab does badly, but that's no matter what software you use.
© 2021 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards