JPF Home Page

Melancholy Sunset Lounge

Posted By: John Lawrence Schick

Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 08/26/20 04:45 PM

I haven't posted any music in a long time here (other than the example of a Fiveer project). This a classical piano track for the classical listeners. I'm doing a lot of classical composing lately. Since the music business has slowed down, I'm not considering music for film as much. I get personal satifaction from composing classical music. That seems more important now.

Melancholy Sunset Lounge: http://schicksville.com/Melancholy%20Sunset%20Lounge.mp3

Best, John smile
Posted By: Dave Rice (D)

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 08/26/20 05:21 PM

Hi John:

Exceptional work... but not just something to help you get through this awful pandemic. It is still part of that great catalog you've put together for commercial use.

Best of luck in all you do! ----Dave

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 08/26/20 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Hi John:

Exceptional work... but not just something to help you get through this awful pandemic. It is still part of that great catalog you've put together for commercial use.

Best of luck in all you do! ----Dave

Thanks Dave! It's nice to know music keeps us all on common ground.

Best, John smile
Posted By: Ian Ferrin

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/12/20 08:39 PM

Hi John,

Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

I liked this piece, pretty much as I have all your others.

I'm curious to know what you think the form of this piece is?

To my ears it's thru-composed with some motif elements repeating throughout. I'm sure I could be wrong as my classical chops aren't near yours.

But I'm curious.

Peace,

Ian

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/13/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Ferrin
Hi John,

Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

I liked this piece, pretty much as I have all your others.

I'm curious to know what you think the form of this piece is?

To my ears it's thru-composed with some motif elements repeating throughout. I'm sure I could be wrong as my classical chops aren't near yours.

But I'm curious.

Peace,

Ian

Thamks Ian! You're spot-on. A simple motif expanded with variations and episodes that tie the sections together. I first concentrate on the first 8 measures. After I like that, the rest is simply a developing technique. I'll often slip in a short "B" section.

Best, John smile
Posted By: JAPOV

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/13/20 05:06 PM

There's an odd, suspenseful, and anxious mood to this... I can imagine a movie scene where an innocent child is playfully approaching danger smile

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/13/20 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by JAPOV
There's an odd, suspenseful, and anxious mood to this... I can imagine a movie scene where an innocent child is playfully approaching danger smile

Thanks Japov! Your scenerio would work for this.

Best, John wink
Posted By: niteshift

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/15/20 12:16 AM

Very moody and poignant John. Melancholy would be a good description.

Spooky and suspenseful. It should be used in film.

cheers, niteshift

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/15/20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by niteshift
Very moody and poignant John. Melancholy would be a good description.

Spooky and suspenseful. It should be used in film.

cheers, niteshift

Thanks Nite! I have about a dozen tracks with the word "melancholy" in the title.I'm a sad-sack.laugh

Best, John smile
Posted By: TamsNumber4

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/16/20 12:08 AM

John,

What a lovely and melancholy piece. I really like how it changes at :42, a lovely flow and performance, I have missed hearing you!

Tammy

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/16/20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TamsNumber4
John,

What a lovely and melancholy piece. I really like how it changes at :42, a lovely flow and performance, I have missed hearing you!

Tammy

Thanks Tammy! Good to see you here.

Best, John smile
Posted By: ant

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/18/20 04:36 PM

This is really good. I do think it sounds "classical" (to my untrained ears in that genre) but I'm also hearing some flexiblity. I could imagine this translating to a jazzier feel quite easily with a slightly different playing style alongside an upright bass and brushes. Nice feel overall to it.

..ant

Re: Melancholy Sunset Lounge - 10/19/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ant
This is really good. I do think it sounds "classical" (to my untrained ears in that genre) but I'm also hearing some flexiblity. I could imagine this translating to a jazzier feel quite easily with a slightly different playing style alongside an upright bass and brushes. Nice feel overall to it.

..ant

Thanks Ant! I do jazz lounge piano as much as classical. And yes, they borrow from each other.

Best, John smile
© 2021 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards