JPF Home Page
Posted By: Songbird52 Hard Hearted Lover - 06/12/20 12:25 PM
https://www.reverbnation.com/pollychase/song/31309346-hard-hearted-lover

Hard-hearted lover hard-hearted one,
come and see what your false love has done.

With your secret smile, your raven hair,
and your sad blue diamond eyes.

A young man ya' know, for love of you,
on his deathbed tonight he lies.

Oh love is pretty,
love is fine,
it will tear your soul
and torment your mind.

Come and see him one last time,
have mercy on his heart,
will you say you've come to stay
never agai-ain to-o pa-art.

The ocean's deep
and the ocean's wide,
for love so many
have suffered and died.

They buried him in a lonely grave,
when the summer rain did fall,

The long years went slowly by,
and she never ca-ame at a-all.
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/12/20 12:57 PM
Hi Polly:

Welcome to JPF and thanks for sharing "Hard Hearted Lover" with us. It has a vibe to it from a bygone era but that is the beauty if music. It can take us to wherever you want to lead.

Best of luck with your music. ----Dave
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/12/20 01:20 PM
Pretty folk song, Polly.
Simple message, which I like for this style.

Vic
Posted By: Steve Altonian Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/12/20 03:22 PM
Welcome to the Forum....

So this is one of those tunes I cannot even begin to crit. And not because you are new & I am being nice...I always have an opinion on a song...I cannot give a critique on this one as I listen this morning

Why? Because anything I say will totally ruin what you got. This is one of those works where I know the writer was in tune with this songs original intent as it was "downloading" to the writer so to speak...I can't even look at the lyric because I am broken listening to some of these lines...

How can I critique a song when it lays me out, bleeding out ???

If I got goosebumps on my skin & am in reflective mode while a song plays, you have taken me on a journey, & no way I can tell you where to take me...

I'm sure I could find things, if I put on my critique hat, but I don't wanna. I am sure there are many lines that can be fixed or made better, but I cannot & will not critique this song...To tell you to work on a line when I can't even read it right cause I am tearing up a little? Yeah right...Maybe I could in a week or so, but for now I have nothing to add because what you got has laid me out...

That said, when/if you feel this is as good as you can get it, I would encourage you to record this one. Haunting, haunting melody...

Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/12/20 07:53 PM
Hi Polly, nice to see you over here. As you know, I've heard a few of your songs and enjoyed them, but this one is easily the best I've heard. Very haunting melody which suits your voice and style. As Dave says, it has a real old time feel to it as if it were one of those songs written two or three hundred years ago in Ireland or Scotland and brought to the Appalachians. Very nice!
Posted By: Songbird52 Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/12/20 10:06 PM
Thanks y'all for the nice comments!
Posted By: IronKnee Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/13/20 08:30 AM
A very nice song, Polly.......very sweet!
Posted By: Travis david Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/14/20 09:06 AM
Hi Polly and welcome,
I'm a folk fan, I liked this. My friend Dave Rice says it has a vibe from a bygone era.Yes, but to me also timeless paradoxically.. Nice voice and all round song
Regards
John
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/17/20 12:04 AM
Polly,

I really liked this one a lot. Really sad folk tune . . . drips with emotion. Travis used the description “timeless”. I agree. It would have been compelling 100 years ago, it will still be 100 years from now. Pretty and haunting—terrific stuff!

Welcome to the Forum!

Deej
Posted By: ckiphen Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/18/20 03:16 PM
Takes my mind on a time trip back to the late 60's. miss those type folk songs. Good song!
Posted By: Songbird52 Re: Hard Hearted Lover - 06/18/20 07:43 PM
Thanks ya'll. Yes I was trying to write a real old-sounding folk song. There actually is an old Child ballad called Hard Hearted Lover and I was sort of modeling it after that.
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards