JPF Home Page
Posted By: Vicarn Just a Dog - 05/21/20 09:07 PM
This is a song I wrote in 2012 when our little dog started showing signs of dementia.
I lost the original master so redid the recording recently. The title was overheard in a conversation between two work colleagues over one of their pets.

Any dog lovers here?

Vic

https://soundcloud.com/vic-arnold/just-a-dog-vs2
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: Just a Dog - 05/22/20 03:45 PM
Beautiful, Vic. Some wonderful lines in there - "Big brown eyes that look you in the heart." "Like a wild windblown cotton ball." If that don't grab you by the heart, there's something wrong with you. I'm off to play this to my own little old dog now smile
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Just a Dog - 05/22/20 05:15 PM
Thanks Gavin.
There's something about a faithful dog isn't there? I think it was Tammy from JPF who gave me the "cotton ball" name.
I hope your dog likes it.

Vic
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Just a Dog - 05/22/20 05:19 PM
Enjoyed my listen yesterday, Vic:

What's not to like about a "Dog Song?" Gavin is so observant!

Thanks, ----Dave
Posted By: Travis david Re: Just a Dog - 05/22/20 05:35 PM
I remember this song the first time around Vic.
We had two little dogs, both rescue doggies when the kids were growing up. Both long gone sadly but great little character's, the kids as well.
Nice song
John
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Just a Dog - 05/22/20 08:11 PM
Thank you Dave.
When I come to think of it the only dog songs that come to mind are "Old Shep" and "Old Blue".
Maybe there are others though.

Yes he is.

Vic
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Just a Dog - 05/23/20 09:55 AM
Yes Travis,
It was a few years ago. Time flies. Still can't work out what happened to the original.
I believe she took it with her.

Thanks for chipping in.

Vic
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Just a Dog - 05/24/20 12:18 AM
Big time dog lover here Vic. Have 2 seniors with me right now. This is a special song. Piano really is a nice touch. Love the lyric. Dog lovers know very well what you show us with these lyrics perfectly.

Dave
Posted By: Jethro Aberdeen Re: Just a Dog - 05/24/20 05:31 PM
Love this song, brought back memories of my last two dogs, and my 3rd dog is laying on the couch beside me as I listen to your song. So much more than Just a Dog... Thanks for sharing, for a few minutes, time stood still here with my dog.
Great song.
Kevin
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Just a Dog - 05/24/20 06:04 PM
Thanks Dave. Glad to hear it.

Wouldn't be without them.

Vic
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Just a Dog - 05/24/20 08:32 PM
Hi Jethro or should I say Kevin?
Welcome to the house of fun.

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you liked it.

Vic
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Just a Dog - 05/27/20 12:37 AM
Vic,

I think you are selling your tune a little short . . . in the sense that while it’s about a dog, the sentiment applies to anyone with a furry friend for a pet. It’s a heartfelt, beautiful write and song. Love the vocal harmony touches throughout. Gavin has the right of it. If this song doesn’t grab you, you simply don’t have a heart. Sweet stuff!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Just a Dog - 05/27/20 10:31 PM
Thanks again Deej.
Yes, I agree.

Vic
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards