JPF Home Page
Posted By: GocartMoz Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/02/20 11:56 PM
For those that remember B.K. Williamson who used to post lyrics on this site often, he and I collaborated on this song in 2013. We used to collaborate on quite a few, but I never felt I was giving him much from the musical end, with no ability to give the music a full production. I loved the lyric. Unfortunately, back in 2013, I did not have the ability to record more than a few tracks on guitar and vocals, so I wrote a scaled down guitar and vocal version only. I always wanted to re-record it though, in full production mode. Being isolated at home, finally did it 7 years later. I'll post the initial version at the end of the post, for those interested.

https://soundcloud.com/gocartmoz/take-the-time-anna-lee-1

TAKE THE TIME ("ANNA LEE")
Music by David S. Becker
Lyrics by B.K. Williamson
(c)2013, 2020 Becker/Williamson Music
All Rights Reserved

INTRO
VERSE 1

I was riding along out on the interstate
Just swayin' to the rhythm of the road
When channel 19 mostly static here of late
Interrupted my hypnotic mode

VERSE 2
A crystal clear voice reached right into my soul
Unexpected but welcome just the same
My monotonic chatter was getting old
Rattlin' around in my brain
And she said ...

PRE-CHORUS
(Is there anyone awake out there)
Just someone to talk to
(Or am I here all alone)
I heard her call
(Come back if you can hear me now)
I heard her lonesome cry
(To share a moment in the darkness of this road)

CHORUS
Take the time to look beyond the darkness
Take the time to look beyond yourself
There's a light that guides us through the forest
There's a choice that lifts us up from where we fell

VERSE 3
I reached out for the microphone hangin' by the cord
Pressed the button and asked her for her name
Green lights danced in the dark of my dash-board
To the music of her words so plain

VERSE 4
I told her of the many city lights I'd seen
I told her how they all grew cold
And of the many places I had stopped in between
But now they make me feel so old
And she said ...

PRE-CHORUS
(They call me Lonesome Drifter in the moonlight)
Then she spoke her name
(But you can call me Anna Lee)
She was out there searching
('ve been searching the night such a long time)
Just like me
(For a sign to set me free)

REPEAT CHORUS
BRIDGE

We talked away the morning until it was light
Til' I could feel her deep in my soul
As if I had known her my whole life
One consciousness from the same mold

VERSE 5
I could see in the distance as I geared my rig down
The Rocky Mountains reaching for the sky
The only sound an empty crackle of my radio
Anna Lee was gone without a goodbye X 3

2013 Version

https://soundcloud.com/gocartmoz/take-the-time-anna-lee
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/03/20 06:26 AM
Breaker 19 LOL. That takes me back! Really enjoyed this. Great production. Love the lead guitar. Seems to me that it would make a great duet.
Posted By: Gerry Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/03/20 02:55 PM
Nice one my friend and I agree with Gavin some fine guitar.

Best,

Gerry
Posted By: Guy E. Trepanier Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/03/20 11:21 PM
Well written and well done.

I especially like the melody of the chorus and the guitar.

_ _ _
Have fun!
Posted By: ant Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/04/20 03:06 AM
Very cool production, sounds great, really punchy and clear. Thanks for sharing the original as well, nice to compare.

..ant
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/04/20 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
Breaker 19 LOL. That takes me back! Really enjoyed this. Great production. Love the lead guitar. Seems to me that it would make a great duet.

Thx for listening Gavin. Always meant for a woman to sing the "Anna Lee" parts. Anyway, thx from commenting. Appreciate your thoughts.

Dave
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/04/20 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gerry
Nice one my friend and I agree with Gavin some fine guitar.

Best,

Gerry

Thx much for listening and commenting. Greatly appreciated.

Dave
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/05/20 02:50 AM
Dave,

Really strong vocal—nice production work distinguishing the different “voices”. The lyrics in that chorus are compelling. Nicely written. Small nit, and a subjective on at that: the lead guitar hits my ear a little loud and high end in spots. But, boy, is this a really well done tune—love how you dial back the instrumental on the bridge—that really resonates.

Great stuff, Dave—but not surprising . . . you are always top notch.

Cheers!

Deej
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/06/20 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Guy E. Trepanier
Well written and well done.

I especially like the melody of the chorus and the guitar.

_ _ _
Have fun!

Thx much for taking the time to listen and comment Guy.
Originally Posted by ant
Very cool production, sounds great, really punchy and clear. Thanks for sharing the original as well, nice to compare.

[quote=ant]Very cool production, sounds great, really punchy and clear. Thanks for sharing the original as well, nice to compare.

..ant

Thx as well Ant. Appreciate the listen.

Dave
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/06/20 03:53 PM
It moves along nicely Dave. Good production and I like the lyrics.

There is something there that sounds odd in the verses. I think it may be the bass playing some wrong notes but not sure. It's like some of the notes aren't right with the chords.
It also could be my ears but it's worth checking out.

Vic
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/06/20 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Deej56
Dave,

Really strong vocal—nice production work distinguishing the different “voices”. The lyrics in that chorus are compelling. Nicely written. Small nit, and a subjective on at that: the lead guitar hits my ear a little loud and high end in spots. But, boy, is this a really well done tune—love how you dial back the instrumental on the bridge—that really resonates.

Great stuff, Dave—but not surprising . . . you are always top notch.

Cheers!

Deej

Thx for the ears Deejay. I think you are right on the volume of the guitar fills. EQ wise, I am finding it depends upon where I listen to it. Sometimes it does sound a bit high end and on the car speaker it does not, at least to me. Nonetheless, I will bring the volume down for sure and maybe soften the eq a bit on it, as well. Appreciate the comments.
Originally Posted by Vicarn
It moves along nicely Dave. Good production and I like the lyrics.

There is something there that sounds odd in the verses. I think it may be the bass playing some wrong notes but not sure. It's like some of the notes aren't right with the chords.
It also could be my ears but it's worth checking out.

Vic

Thx as always for the listen Vic. I must confess I don't hear a sour bass note, though I have considered upping the bass in the mix a bit, as it seems a bit low in the mix to me. I will give it a listen though on the headphones later tonight. Your ears may be right on the money.

Dave

P.S. I dis some subtle eq-ing on the lead guitar and picked chorus rhythm electric, hopefully making the guitar sound a touch warmer. Decreased the volume a touch on the lead guitar and picked rhythm guitar during the chorus, as well. Turned up the low end on the whole mix a wee tiny bit too. Hopefully, it helps.

Vic, I could not hear what you are referring to in the verses. I am curious. Can you give me a time reference during the verses, so I can pinpoint it better. Thx.
Posted By: Dave Rice (D) Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/07/20 12:48 PM
Morning, Dave:

Funny how time can pass and because of experience, make things possible. Glad you pulled it out of the archives and gave it another shot. Enjoyed my listen and thought the lyric was at least on an equal footing with the melody. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with it. ----Dave
Posted By: Vicarn Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/07/20 02:46 PM
As I said Dave, I wasn't sure if it was bass but 15 secs into the first verse for about 30 secs there is something not matching note wise to my ears. The same is happening in the other verses.
The choruses sound fine.
It could be either of the instruments or even the vocal is off pitch. Have you got a pitch tester you could try each of those on?

Vic
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/12/20 01:38 AM
Dave,

This is great in all respects--a real keeper.

steady-eddie
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/13/20 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Morning, Dave:

Funny how time can pass and because of experience, make things possible. Glad you pulled it out of the archives and gave it another shot. Enjoyed my listen and thought the lyric was at least on an equal footing with the melody. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with it. ----Dave

Thx much for giving it a spin Dave

Originally Posted by Vicarn
As I said Dave, I wasn't sure if it was bass but 15 secs into the first verse for about 30 secs there is something not matching note wise to my ears. The same is happening in the other verses.
The choruses sound fine.
It could be either of the instruments or even the vocal is off pitch. Have you got a pitch tester you could try each of those on?

Vic

Thx as well for giving it another listen Vic. My guess is it is my vocal that's off pitch. I wasn't able to find any issues instrumentally. Wouldn't be the first time I am off key. smile Unfortunately, I am sure it won't be the last either.

Originally Posted by E Swartz
Dave,

This is great in all respects--a real keeper.

steady-eddie

Thx Eddie for giving this a listen, as well. Always appreciate your input.

Dave
Posted By: Travis david Re: Take the Time ("Anna Lee") - 05/18/20 06:56 AM
A great little mover Dave enjoyed the lusten and reading the other positive comments.
Good one all round
John
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards