JPF Home Page

Fool To Love Her

Posted By: Gavin Sinclair

Fool To Love Her - 02/24/20 07:21 PM

This is meant as a kind of conversation between the singer and the voice in his head.

Click to listen at SoundCloud

Really the voice in the head should be sung by either backing singers or a duet partner. Here I have differentiated by giving the voice in the head a chorus effect and moving him to the left in the mix. Obviously, that effect would be lost if listening in mono, so probably best to use headphones.

All feedback and comments much appreciated as always.

FOOL TO LOVE HER
(Words & Music by Gavin Sinclair)

I wake up in the morning, try to go back to sleep
Just forget her - thingsíll get better
Every dayís a mountain, this oneís too steep
Sheís only in your head because you let her
So I make myself some coffee
Wonder what sheís doing now
Is she thinking of me?
I donít think so somehow

I-I-I-Iím a fool to love her
Look at you, you big old fool
I know I should, but I canít get her out of my head
Yeah, yeah, you wish you were dead
She told me I was a tool and it was over
She knows what sheís talking about
But if she came back Iíd forget every word that she said

Sweater back to front, shoes on the wrong feet
Come on buddy, pull yourself together
Turn the wrong way down a one way street
Is that some kind of a lame-ass metaphor?
No, I really did it
Look hereís the ticket I got
Youíll probably say Iím an idiot
Yeah, Iíll bet you get that a lot

Yes you are, youíre not wrong there
I know I should, but I canít get her out of my head
Thatís what happens when you donít take your meds
She really knows what sheís talking about
Oh, for crying out loud

Who are you, whatcha doing in my head?
Iím the voice of reason
Canít you try saying something nicer instead
Some folks there just ainít to pleasiní
Youíre a bit of a downer
What I needís a kind word or two
Thatís not why I come round here
But Iíll see what I can do

She was a fool to let you go
How was that?
Thank you, thatís much better
This feels wrong, but it's your song
She donít know what sheís talking about
No really, thereís no chance of that

You had to go and ruin it, didn't you?
Posted By: PaulCanuck

Re: Fool To Love Her - 02/27/20 03:20 AM

Haha That's funny I don't care who you are. smile
Together/metaphor - now there's a rhyme for ya.
I enjoyed this one - very entertaining.
I think the response voice should be pushed further left, and maybe do a high pass filter on it so it sounds like an old radio voice?
That would make it stand out better IMHO.
Also I know it's hard but it could stand a haircut in length for folks with a short attention span like me smile
But the back and forth with the voice in his head is a hoot - very creative smile
Paul
Posted By: DeMoni

Re: Fool To Love Her - 02/27/20 03:46 AM

I really really enjoyed this song, it was so wholesome and made me really happy
Incredible job on the lyrics! I loved how the two voices interact. Well done!

Re: Fool To Love Her - 02/27/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PaulCanuck
Haha That's funny I don't care who you are. smile
Together/metaphor - now there's a rhyme for ya.
I enjoyed this one - very entertaining.
I think the response voice should be pushed further left, and maybe do a high pass filter on it so it sounds like an old radio voice?
That would make it stand out better IMHO.
Also I know it's hard but it could stand a haircut in length for folks with a short attention span like me smile
But the back and forth with the voice in his head is a hoot - very creative smile
Paul

Thanks so much for the feedback, Paul. I did try a kind of radio effect on the response voice and didn't like the way it sounded, but I could probably do it a little more subtly and achieve the desired effect. I'm hoping I get some other suggestions from folks here before I get to work on that.
Regarding the length, at just under 4 minutes, it's not super long, but I do prefer to keep it closer to 3:30 when I can. The only way I can see to trim it would be to cut verse 3 in half or replace it with a shorter bridge. That would save about 18 seconds, but I think it would lose something lyrically. My hope is that the sing-along chorus makes it feel shorter than it is smile
Posted By: lane1777

Re: Fool To Love Her - 02/27/20 08:47 PM

Hi Gavin,
I really like the lyric and how you perform this song. I haven`t heard a song arranged like this for some time, it was a treat to listen. Lane

Re: Fool To Love Her - 02/28/20 12:37 AM

Thank you DeMoni and Lane. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. It was fun to write and record - one of those rare songs that kind of writes itself once you get into it smile
Posted By: Deej56

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/02/20 03:28 AM

Gavin,

First off, itís a terrific write . . . some killer lines from first to last. I think youíve gotten some good feedback regarding the feedback voice. Itís not distinctive enough on this go-sround. My instinct is to go with a more ďradio tubeĒ type sound. Easier said than done . . . but I love the tuneójust needs that clear differentiation to put it over the top.

Lot to like about this one!

Regards,

Deej

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/02/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Deej56
Gavin,

First off, itís a terrific write . . . some killer lines from first to last. I think youíve gotten some good feedback regarding the feedback voice. Itís not distinctive enough on this go-sround. My instinct is to go with a more ďradio tubeĒ type sound. Easier said than done . . . but I love the tuneójust needs that clear differentiation to put it over the top.

Lot to like about this one!

Regards,

Deej

Thanks Deej, glad you enjoyed it. The general consensus seems to be that I should make it easier to distinguish between the two voices. I'd appreciate any suggestions from folks here as to how best to do that. I have some ideas myself, but would appreciate input from others.

My approach to this has evolved. Originally, it was to be a musical conversation between lead singer and back-up singers (I still think that would be fun if it was ever done live) or with a duet partner. Then I started to think it might be better if the voice in the head was recognizably the same person as the lead singer, giving rise to the challenge of how to do this while allowing the listener to know which is which. To some extent this can be done by moving the voice in the head to the left in the mix, but obviously this would not be much good if anyone was listening on a mono device, and feedback here would seem to suggest that it's not enough, even with extra chorus type effects thrown in. So...any suggestions welcome!
Posted By: Vicarn

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/02/20 06:41 PM

Hi Kevin.
You could try speaking the responses rather than singing them with a tad of reverb maybe.
Should go down well in the pub.

Vic
Posted By: glynda

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/04/20 09:17 PM

Loved listening to it..made me smile too.. Great work..

glyn

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/05/20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vicarn
Hi Kevin.
You could try speaking the responses rather than singing them with a tad of reverb maybe.
Should go down well in the pub.

Vic

Thanks Vic. I already have quite a bit of reverb in there. I'll keep working on it. Not sure why this would go down well in the pub, except that, come to think of it, everything goes down well in the pub smile
Posted By: Dave Rice (D)

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/24/20 07:21 PM

I can only imagine how well this would work in a pub... almost anywhere. As others have said, Gavin... very creative. Best of luck with it, my friend. Enjoyed my listen.

----Dave

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/30/20 01:47 AM

Hi Dave. Sorry to take so long to respond to your comment. Thanks for listening and commenting. Why does everyone think my songs belong in pubs LOL? Not that I object - I make no pretense of being highbrow smile
Posted By: IronKnee

Re: Fool To Love Her - 03/31/20 02:08 AM

Funny song, man, and very entertaining.
Loved the back and forth.......
-Tom
Posted By: Irwin

Re: Fool To Love Her - 04/08/20 09:11 PM

very entertaining song it is creative too. Glad I had the chance to hear it. Thanks for sharing.

@Irwin
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: Fool To Love Her - 04/09/20 05:43 AM

Gavin,

Very clever--I get the dual vox is cool, but would be funnier if voices were different. I posted a song here a few years ago that was a duet and sang the girl's part--got teased a bit, but finally did replace the girl's part with a gal! That's a good question though to have them background or just up front guys like the Smother's Bro--You could have fun experimenting! However, very entertaining!

steady-eddie

Re: Fool To Love Her - 04/09/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by E Swartz
Gavin,

Very clever--I get the dual vox is cool, but would be funnier if voices were different. I posted a song here a few years ago that was a duet and sang the girl's part--got teased a bit, but finally did replace the girl's part with a gal! That's a good question though to have them background or just up front guys like the Smother's Bro--You could have fun experimenting! However, very entertaining!

steady-eddie

Thanks Eddie. Yes, I'm still trying to figure out whether to do it as a duet with both voices given equal prominence, or have the voice in the head as backing vocals. I'm inclining towards the latter solution. To be honest, my technical limitations are rather holding me back.
I'd like to hear that duet of yours smile

Originally Posted by Irwin
very entertaining song it is creative too. Glad I had the chance to hear it. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Irwin. Glad you enjoyed it.
© 2020 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards