JPF Home Page
Posted By: Mimmo Young Woman - 09/15/19 11:33 AM
New song after a while....I'm back in producing after a slow down with computer problems, I lost some files but I managed to get some back.
Here is my last recording.
Thanks for listening

https://soundcloud.com/domenic-mercurio/young-woman

Young woman (Revised)
Mimmo Mercurio/John Scunziano

She was a young Woman...of only twenty-three...
I was married, and twice as old as she
I Drove her home, from work one night
She put her arms around me... And she held me tight

She left the city went to finish school
Then to San Francisco to try something new
I think so often of that summer night
She held me tight and kissed me...then she ran inside

Once in life, if you're one of the lucky few
Fate will step in and... True love will come to you
Seldom in life will you get a second chance
A second chance... At true romance

I did not see her for a few long years
She came back, and was happy to be here.
We talked a long time and reminisced
Parted ways without a single kiss

Life is full of twists that can't be known
Sometimes seeds of love are never sown
Planned to chat when we had some time to kill
To share a coffee, but I'm waiting still
Once in life, Once in life,
Once in life

Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: Young Woman - 09/15/19 02:44 PM
"I was married, and twice as old as she" Seems like he made the right call in letting her go.

I don't think that you can reminisce on times you missed, in other words on things that didn't happen. I know I'm being picky, but listeners do notice these things, especially in a slow song like this one where they have plenty of time to think about the lyric as it unfolds.

Good production and you have a really good voice, which I enjoy hearing.
Posted By: Travis david Re: Young Woman - 09/15/19 04:27 PM
Good vocal and music Mimmo.
I think Gavin could have a valid point on reflection
Regards
John
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/15/19 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
"I was married, and twice as old as she" Seems like he made the right call in letting her go.

I don't think that you can reminisce on times you missed, in other words on things that didn't happen. I know I'm being picky, but listeners do notice these things, especially in a slow song like this one where they have plenty of time to think about the lyric as it unfolds.

Good production and you have a really good voice, which I enjoy hearing.

Thanks for listening and taking time to point out your thoughts on it.

It sounded good while recording it...But I see what you mean. I might have a replacement line ready.
Thanks also for your compliments on the mix and my voice.
Regards
Mimmo
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/15/19 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Travis david
Good vocal and music Mimmo.
I think Gavin could have a valid point on reflection
Regards
John

Thanks John...I will look at the lyrics.
Thanks for listening
mimmo
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Young Woman - 09/16/19 03:42 AM
Mimmo,

I get the theme here. But I think you need to add some passion to the lyrics and better connect the story. In this manner the reminiscing will work better IMO, and I feel the opening verse will be more believable and tragic. He's smitten, but he knows this age difference will never work, and he doesn't follow after her knowing she needs to seek her own adventure and education. He'll always love her however, and therein is the tragedy for him. I can relate to this song--many moons ago when I was in a musical production age 22 and a beautiful 17 yr old dancer from the chorus asked me for a ride home........

I'm not saying you should necessarily change your lyrics, but here is "one" idea for lyrical consideration--you might even improve or expound upon it: (Liked the song and your performance-btw)

She was a young woman...of only twenty-three...
I was married, twice as old as she
Drove her home, from work one night
She kissed me softly then she ran inside

She left the city and went to finish school
Then San Francisco to try something new
I think so often of that fateful night
watched her go, but did what was right

Fate will step in... and true love will come to you
But seldom do you get a second chance
A second chance, for true romance

When she came back, I fought back tears
We reminisced on all the times we missed

We planned to chat when we had some time to kill
To share a coffee, but I'm waiting still……..

steady-eddie

Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/16/19 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by E Swartz
Mimmo,

I get the theme here. But I think you need to add some passion to the lyrics and better connect the story. In this manner the reminiscing will work better IMO, and I feel the opening verse will be more believable and tragic. He's smitten, but he knows this age difference will never work, and he doesn't follow after her knowing she needs to seek her own adventure and education. He'll always love her however, and therein is the tragedy for him. I can relate to this song--many moons ago when I was in a musical production age 22 and a beautiful 17 yr old dancer from the chorus asked me for a ride home........

I'm not saying you should necessarily change your lyrics, but here is "one" idea for lyrical consideration--you might even improve or expound upon it: (Liked the song and your performance-btw)

steady-eddie

Hi Ed...Thanks for stopping by...and for you suggestions, I'll go back to it next week...See what I can do with it.
Regards
Mimmo
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/16/19 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Mimmo
Mimmo,

steady-eddie

Hi Ed...Thanks for stopping by...and for you suggestions, I'll go back to it next week...See what I can do with it.
Regards
Mimmo
Posted By: MFB III Re: Young Woman - 09/16/19 11:33 AM
The music sets the mood so perfectly for this lost love saga....and the lyrics tell the story quite beautifully. There are no words for such a loss but you managed to make it real in my souls. I too have suffered such a detour on love's vast pathways. We don't always get choices in love and sometimes love comes round at the wrong time and leaves us with nothing but timeless memories.
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/16/19 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by MFB III
The music sets the mood so perfectly for this lost love saga....and the lyrics tell the story quite beautifully. There are no words for such a loss but you managed to make it real in my souls. I too have suffered such a detour on love's vast pathways. We don't always get choices in love and sometimes love comes round at the wrong time and leaves us with nothing but timeless memories.

Thank you for your kind words...It is a touching story.
Regards
Mimmo
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/19/19 11:24 AM
Please listen to the (Revised) mix...Thanks...I changed some lyrics
posted a new link in the main post...The vocal track has not been finalized yet.
Thanks you for listening.
Mimmo
Posted By: Steve Altonian Re: Young Woman - 09/19/19 10:27 PM
Since you are still in revision mode I'm only gonna share random thoughts. No way to get a true Chorus here out of your ONCE IN LIFE ? Have you tried? That line/verse/bridge or whatever you are calling it expresses a theme for the song better than YOUNG WOMAN of course that is IMO.

I would try to write a Full Chorus and build the tune out that way. But that's just me

I'd also shorten that intro to say 8 seconds....Also see the red on the lyric below

Just a few thoughts...

Good luck with this...Sounding good

Young woman (Revised)

A second chance... At true romance (I would find another line instead of second chance again, you just said "a second chance". That is wasted real estate)

Once in life
Posted By: E Swartz Re: Young Woman - 09/19/19 11:23 PM
Mimmo,

Definitely improved lyrically in my mind, as the story flows and feels more real. I also liked how you tweaked some of the notes being sang. I originally in my earlier comments started to mention the repeat about 2nd chance, but then thought given the nostalgia, I thought it was effective in this circumstance reinforcing that line. I do think from a production polishing, you could remove a little of the upper range eq--a bit to brittle IMO. Check those eq's on their individual faders, or maybe put an eq on the master fader and back off those frequencies--just be careful it doesn't affect your vox too much. I was listening through decent head phones that do boost bass and upper mids slightly for your info.

Great song Mimmo, you have a flare for romance--but being from Italy, that comes natural huh?

steady-eddie
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/20/19 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Altonian
Since you are still in revision mode I'm only gonna share random thoughts. No way to get a true Chorus here out of your ONCE IN LIFE ? Have you tried? That line/verse/bridge or whatever you are calling it expresses a theme for the song better than YOUNG WOMAN of course that is IMO.

I would try to write a Full Chorus and build the tune out that way. But that's just me

I'd also shorten that intro to say 8 seconds....Also see the red on the lyric below

Just a few thoughts...

Good luck with this...Sounding good

Young woman (Revised)

A second chance... At true romance (I would find another line instead of second chance again, you just said "a second chance". That is wasted real estate)

Once in life
it would be hard to get any more added to the song without rebuilding the whole structure...The music track was done a wile back, no seps available unfortunately. Beleive it or not I was going to call it "Once in life" But in the end I chose "Young Woman " instead.

Thanks, Steve, for listening and for your thoughts on this.

Mimmo
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/20/19 04:41 PM
Mimmo,

Definitely improved lyrically in my mind, as the story flows and feels more real. I also liked how you tweaked some of the notes being sang. I originally in my earlier comments started to mention the repeat about 2nd chance, but then thought given the nostalgia, I thought it was effective in this circumstance reinforcing that line. I do think from a production polishing, you could remove a little of the upper range eq--a bit to brittle IMO. Check those eq's on their individual faders, or maybe put an eq on the master fader and back off those frequencies--just be careful it doesn't affect your vox too much. I was listening through decent head phones that do boost bass and upper mids slightly for your info.

Great song Mimmo, you have a flare for romance--but being from Italy, that comes natural huh?

steady-eddie

Eddy:
Thanks for coming back to check it out...I also think the repeat of "second chance " sits nicely in there.
I'm still working on the final production. This a temporary mix.
Thanks for your comments .
Soon I will post a completed track.
Regards
Mimmo
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: Young Woman - 09/20/19 11:52 PM
Hi Mimmo,

You have a beautiful voice and very good production and arranging skills.

That, said, I look forward to a song from you that gets really intimate, with a smaller overall sound and vocals closer mic'd. Maybe a fingerpicked guitar as the main instrument and not much more.

It might be partly what Eddie said in his last comments, but I think I'd have warmed to this more if you at least started with a much smaller band and then let it expand with each new section. As it is, I come away feeling like you were in competition with the music.

You have a voice not unlike Rufus Wainwright. Actually, I like your voice more, as his gets a little nasal to my ears. But check out how he arranges music around his voice. He lets his voice be the focus and the music acts to punctuate. His singing is very focused and deliberate and classy, like yours.

But these are just my feelings about this song. I do look forward to that intimate song, though, cuz I just know it will be killer. smile

Mike

Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/21/19 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Mimmo,

You have a beautiful voice and very good production and arranging skills.

That, said, I look forward to a song from you that gets really intimate, with a smaller overall sound and vocals closer mic'd. Maybe a fingerpicked guitar as the main instrument and not much more.

It might be partly what Eddie said in his last comments, but I think I'd have warmed to this more if you at least started with a much smaller band and then let it expand with each new section. As it is, I come away feeling like you were in competition with the music.

You have a voice not unlike Rufus Wainwright. Actually, I like your voice more, as his gets a little nasal to my ears. But check out how he arranges music around his voice. He lets his voice be the focus and the music acts to punctuate. His singing is very focused and deliberate and classy, like yours.

But these are just my feelings about this song. I do look forward to that intimate song, though, cuz I just know it will be killer. smile

Mike

Hi Mike...Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I want to thank you also about your compliments on my voice...Coming from you it means a lot as you are, (I think) a much better singer and arranger/producer than I’ll ever be...

This song I did the writing of the lyrics, singing and the producing, I got the track almost as is. The composer for it put it on one of the collaboration sites I belong to as an instrumental...He had a guitar as a leading instrument, I replaced with my lyrics and melody and kept the lead part in the solo.

A while back I sent a completed song to a local friend of mine for his thoughts on it, we used to collaborate a long time ago before the on-line sites.
He actually suggested the same thing you did...”Writhe and produce something with only voice and guitar”.

My singing and producing abilities are much better than my guitar playing, But I guess there is no harm in trying...I have to give it some thought...See what I can come up with or find something I can work with on line.

I want to thank you so much also for what you said in the paragraph about Rufus Wainwright.

Thanks again...Have a great day
Mimmo
Posted By: Michael Zaneski Re: Young Woman - 09/21/19 07:07 PM
Your welcome, Mimmo, and I realized I left out the most important comparison of you with RW. Both your voices are on the delicate side. Whereas his sister Martha can belt out a lyric like Aretha, if she chooses, Rufus, has dynamics too, but there's much more control and restraint, most of the time, with him, to my ears. I mean, yes, he can belt it out, too, but there's always a feeling of restraint or control or maybe classical training in there.

And all this plays into the idea of musical arrangements that punctuate rather than dominate. Delicate, intimate voices work best when they are allowed to draw the listener in.

With more attention on your voice, you might end up working harder to get all the little nuances just right, but the rewards would be enormous, I'd imagine.

Just my humble opinion..

Mike
Posted By: Travis david Re: Young Woman - 09/22/19 07:56 AM
That voice gets better Mimmo!
John
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/22/19 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Travis david
That voice gets better Mimmo!
John

Thanks John...Talk soon.
Regards
Mimmo
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/24/19 01:12 PM
Main post has been updated with latest version...i think now final!
Thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/domenic-mercurio/young-woman
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair Re: Young Woman - 09/24/19 02:12 PM
I like this for all the reasons others have mentioned. You really do have a great voice.

In my headphones, the introductory piano panned to the left sounded a little strange. When there is only one instrument playing, I expect to hear it more towards the middle. That is probably just me. Also, "once in life," although not wrong, doesn't sound very natural or idiomatic to me. "Once in a life" sounds better. Maybe someone else can chime in and agree or disagree?
Posted By: Mimmo Re: Young Woman - 09/25/19 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
I like this for all the reasons others have mentioned. You really do have a great voice.

In my headphones, the introductory piano panned to the left sounded a little strange. When there is only one instrument playing, I expect to hear it more towards the middle. That is probably just me. Also, "once in life," although not wrong, doesn't sound very natural or idiomatic to me. "Once in a life" sounds better. Maybe someone else can chime in and agree or disagree?

Thanks for stopping by Gavin.
The music was all done when I recorded the vocals, It's an old track and the separates where not available anymore...I normally would put an leading instrument in the center, I had no choice in this one.

The "once in life" part...I tried singing it, For me it flows a bit smoother as is. I'll check it out again in a few days...See how it goes.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Regards
Mimmo
© Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards