We Buccaneers are met with cheers
When we return from sea
A sailor's life's the one for me.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Dave Rice

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/12/19 12:33 PM

Hi Bob:

I scanned the words before I hit the "start" button. You have a really nice vocal quality and the "shanty" sounded authentic enough... but needs more instrumentation here and there... as the song progresses. I doubt if many of the listeners here have ever heard of a "sea shanty" but I wish you luck navigating today's murky music waters.
Thanks for sharing.

All the best, ----Dave
Posted By: 90 dB

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/15/19 04:07 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the listen and the comments.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: swestern

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/15/19 09:24 PM

Bob,
I'll have to admit, I am one who didn't know what a sea shanty was but after looking it up, I think this is a great example of one. Nice job,
Skip
Posted By: Deej56

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/17/19 03:10 AM

Bob,

Don’t care what folks may want to call it . . . a shanty, a sea song, whatever . . . I just call it a damn good song. Magnetic in its simplicity—love those harmonies in the chorus. Beautiful tune, so well done. Liked this one a lot.

My humble regards,

Deej

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/18/19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by swestern
Bob,
I'll have to admit, I am one who didn't know what a sea shanty was but after looking it up, I think this is a great example of one. Nice job,
Skip

Thanks Skip. Much obliged.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/22/19 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deej56
Bob,

Don’t care what folks may want to call it . . . a shanty, a sea song, whatever . . . I just call it a damn good song. Magnetic in its simplicity—love those harmonies in the chorus. Beautiful tune, so well done. Liked this one a lot.

My humble regards,

Deej

Deej,

Thanks for the listen and the kind words.

Regards,

BOB
Posted By: Ray E. Strode

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/23/19 03:46 PM

Aw,Humm,
One Nit. I think the ending is a bit lame. I might go with, A SAILORS LIFE, A SAILORS LIFE, THAT'S THE ONE FOR ME. Good luck.

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/25/19 04:53 PM

Ray,

Thanks for the listen.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Travis david

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/31/19 04:25 AM

Hi Bob.
Love these songs,a touch of Gordon Lightfoot even Mike Scott of the Waterboys.
When i think of a sea shanty,something more lively comes to mind, Drunken Sailor etc.
This to me is a great contemporary folk ballad,well written and performed.
Hope it does well for you it certainly deserves it!
Regards
Travis
Posted By: Gavin Sinclair

Re: A Sailor's Life - 05/31/19 03:48 PM

I really enjoyed this. I'm not sure that I agree with Dave about it needing more instrumentation. This reminds me of the kind of folk music I used to listen to growing up in the seventies. I have no idea if there is a market for that kind of song these days, but I liked it a lot.

Nice gentle melody. I agree with Travis that a sea shanty is normally livelier or with a more pronounced rhythm, something sailors could sing while pulling on ropes or whatever. Who cares what we call it? It's just a very good song.

A couple of small remarks:

I like the line "We Buccaneers are met with cheers," but a buccaneer is a specific term. I didn't get the impression from the rest of the song that these folks were out there attacking Spanish shipping.

You start off by saying he's six days out from Havana, but start the next verse with "Farewell, my darlin' Maggie." I would have expected someone called Maggie to be in the US or Canada (or Ireland or Scotland). An unusual name for a Cuban lady.

I don't know if these things matter very much but, since they occurred to me, I thought I'd point them out.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/01/19 10:12 AM

Hi Bob,

Very nicely done.

Calvin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/05/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Travis david
Hi Bob.
Love these songs,a touch of Gordon Lightfoot even Mike Scott of the Waterboys.
When i think of a sea shanty,something more lively comes to mind, Drunken Sailor etc.
This to me is a great contemporary folk ballad,well written and performed.
Hope it does well for you it certainly deserves it!
Regards
Travis

Travis,

Shanties cover work songs and other sea-related songs as well. I use the term loosely. Thanks for the listen.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/05/19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Sinclair
I really enjoyed this. I'm not sure that I agree with Dave about it needing more instrumentation. This reminds me of the kind of folk music I used to listen to growing up in the seventies. I have no idea if there is a market for that kind of song these days, but I liked it a lot.

Nice gentle melody. I agree with Travis that a sea shanty is normally livelier or with a more pronounced rhythm, something sailors could sing while pulling on ropes or whatever. Who cares what we call it? It's just a very good song.

A couple of small remarks:

I like the line "We Buccaneers are met with cheers," but a buccaneer is a specific term. I didn't get the impression from the rest of the song that these folks were out there attacking Spanish shipping.

You start off by saying he's six days out from Havana, but start the next verse with "Farewell, my darlin' Maggie." I would have expected someone called Maggie to be in the US or Canada (or Ireland or Scotland). An unusual name for a Cuban lady.

I don't know if these things matter very much but, since they occurred to me, I thought I'd point them out.

Gavin,

Thanks for the listen.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/05/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Calvin,

Thanks for the listen.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Vicarn

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/06/19 08:12 PM

Hello Bob. Lovely melodic song.
Everything fits for me. Even the thought of maybe "part time" buccaneers.
Just one thing that I thought may improve the flow of the last line of the verses was to add "only"
i.e. A sailor's life the only life for me.
Hardly worth nit picking though. It may be just my personal preference.

Vic

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/14/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vicarn
Hello Bob. Lovely melodic song.
Everything fits for me. Even the thought of maybe "part time" buccaneers.
Just one thing that I thought may improve the flow of the last line of the verses was to add "only"
i.e. A sailor's life the only life for me.
Hardly worth nit picking though. It may be just my personal preference.

Vic

Vic,

Thanks for the listen. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: GocartMoz

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/14/19 08:04 PM

This sounded awesome to my ears. Love the harmonies. Love its' simplicity. Makes me want to be at sea. Kudos!

Dave
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/15/19 02:40 AM

Bob,

I really enjoyed your song, great lyrics, along with nice vocals that fit perfectly with this music. Not a nit, but IMO, what could be improved is the solo--I feel it's a little too "vanilla." I get that it conveys a lonely vibe, which is cool. But in my mind the song in general expresses that well enough, and I think the solo could use more instrumentation to build more of a crescendo at this juncture--in other words more cinematic! Then following the solo, it might be cool to insert a lifting key change for the latter part of the song giving a more building movement. Just what I'm hearing in my head, and just "food for thought."

Beautiful write as is however, and I sincerely enjoyed your performance, melody, and lyrics.

steady-eddie
Posted By: L. James Tanner

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/15/19 03:53 PM

Great tune! Well done and an awesome folk song in my opinion!
Posted By: Martin Lide

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/16/19 02:55 PM

Pleasant to listen to.

Martin
Posted By: Michael Zaneski

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/17/19 02:12 AM

Hi Bob,

Love the accordion so I was all in from the intro. Very nice vocal performances and beautiful clean, simple production.

Was that a steam pipe soloing? Very cool, whatever it was.

Mike

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/18/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by GocartMoz
This sounded awesome to my ears. Love the harmonies. Love its' simplicity. Makes me want to be at sea. Kudos!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the listen and kind words.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/21/19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by E Swartz
Bob,

I really enjoyed your song, great lyrics, along with nice vocals that fit perfectly with this music. Not a nit, but IMO, what could be improved is the solo--I feel it's a little too "vanilla." I get that it conveys a lonely vibe, which is cool. But in my mind the song in general expresses that well enough, and I think the solo could use more instrumentation to build more of a crescendo at this juncture--in other words more cinematic! Then following the solo, it might be cool to insert a lifting key change for the latter part of the song giving a more building movement. Just what I'm hearing in my head, and just "food for thought."

Beautiful write as is however, and I sincerely enjoyed your performance, melody, and lyrics.

steady-eddie

Eddie,

Thanks for the listen and the suggestion.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/21/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by L. James Tanner
Great tune! Well done and an awesome folk song in my opinion!

James,

Thanks for the listen and kind remarks.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/25/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Martin Lide
Pleasant to listen to.

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for the listen.

Regards,

Bob

Re: A Sailor's Life - 06/25/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Zaneski
Hi Bob,

Love the accordion so I was all in from the intro. Very nice vocal performances and beautiful clean, simple production.

Was that a steam pipe soloing? Very cool, whatever it was.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for listening. That's an ocarina in the solo. smile

Regards,

Bob
© 2019 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards