JPF Home Page

The Shiny Thing

Posted By: Scott Campbell

The Shiny Thing - 11/23/18 11:28 PM

I finally hired a bass player grin

I heard this phrase in an NPR interview as I was driving into work. Thought it would be a cool song title. smile

The Shiny Thing is here:

https://youtu.be/hHvuNfE_TS0

Lyric is below. Just sharing....

Scott


The Shiny Thing
Music and Lyric 2018 by S.W. Campbell

You peek between the curtains at the revival
The MC primes the crowd for your arrival
You long for the days when a day’s work meant survival
Then you fist pump your way into the center ring
Cause you had to go and chase the shiny thing
Cause you had to go and chase the shiny thing

You always put the knee-bone to the thigh-bone
Always had your nose against the grindstone
Superficiality was banned to your no-fly zone
When everyone around you was grabbing for the string
But you had to go and chase the shiny thing
But you had to go and chase the shiny thing

Revolution, evolution,
Wind up on a shelf
Strike gold, cut free, sounds good but the
Beast won’t feed itself

It’s been a year you’ve been the next sensation
Been a year since your last new creation
Been a year since you’ve had an interesting conversation
Or thought about the cool things a new day brings
But you had to go and chase the shiny thing
But you had to go and chase the shiny thing
But you had to go and chase the shiny thing
But you had to go and chase the shiny thing
Posted By: Calvin

Re: The Shiny Thing - 11/23/18 11:45 PM

Hello Scott,


Good to see you again.
This is very nicely put together, looks like you're really enjoying yourself !
Thanks for the cool entertainment.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart
Posted By: Travis david

Re: The Shiny Thing - 11/24/18 03:07 PM

Enjoyed the listen,video and sober shirts. As Calvin commented well out together.
A good song,I admire anyone who can remember the words of their own songs!
Travis
Posted By: Dave Rice

Re: The Shiny Thing - 11/24/18 07:08 PM

Hi Scott:

I agree with Calvin and Travis. Remembering words of songs... reminds me why I'm not a performer... among other things. You certainly made it look like you were enjoying yourself even if it begins to be a ton of work... arranging the gear, adjusting things... and playing different tracks. Enjoyed. ----Dave
Posted By: E Swartz

Re: The Shiny Thing - 11/26/18 01:52 AM

Hey Scott,

Like the pop psychedelic vibe you have going here. Miss those organ sounds from yesteryear--maybe you can bring them back! I'm not really sure what you're saying, but was entertained as always with your music.

steady-eddie
Posted By: Deej56

Re: The Shiny Thing - 11/26/18 03:45 AM

Scott,

Great stuff . . . love the refrain (“cause you had to go and chase a shiny thing”)—total ear worm. Killer tune, Scott. Track number one for you next album???

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/01/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Hello Scott,


Good to see you again.
This is very nicely put together, looks like you're really enjoying yourself !
Thanks for the cool entertainment.


Calvin


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/calvinstewart


Thanks, Calvin. I don't think this is one of my better songs. But it might be the most fun one to sing. smile

Scott
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/01/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Travis david
Enjoyed the listen,video and sober shirts. As Calvin commented well out together.
A good song,I admire anyone who can remember the words of their own songs!
Travis


Lol - I come up with the lyrics over a period of several days on the drive to and from work. So I probably sing them 50 times before recording them. Which means I can probably remember them for a week afterwards. grin

The shirts have some utility. When I look at the thumbnails of the video tracks, I can tell which part they are by the shirt.

Thanks, Travis.

Scott
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/01/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Rice
Hi Scott:

I agree with Calvin and Travis. Remembering words of songs... reminds me why I'm not a performer... among other things. You certainly made it look like you were enjoying yourself even if it begins to be a ton of work... arranging the gear, adjusting things... and playing different tracks. Enjoyed. ----Dave


Yes, Dave. Doing these as videos with multiple tracks showing is moving me further down the path to jack of all trades and master of none. smile

Glad you enjoyed.

Scott
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/01/18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by E Swartz
Hey Scott,

Like the pop psychedelic vibe you have going here. Miss those organ sounds from yesteryear--maybe you can bring them back! I'm not really sure what you're saying, but was entertained as always with your music.

steady-eddie


Lol - that keyboard sound is actually called "60s organ". grin

Most of my songs are specific stories from which I hope people can generalize. This one was written more generally - to it's detriment I think. Basically about a creative type who becomes trapped by success into doing things that aren't creative.

Thanks Eddie. smile

Scott
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/01/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Deej56
Scott,

Great stuff . . . love the refrain (“cause you had to go and chase a shiny thing”)—total ear worm. Killer tune, Scott. Track number one for you next album???

All the best,

Deej


Thanks Deej. Too soon to tell - don't know what the theme of the next project is yet. smile

Scott
Posted By: Ricki E. Bellos

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/04/18 03:04 PM

This has such a unique hook, Scott. Also your trademark masterful lyrics. I loved the whole experience. And the shirts!

Ricki
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 12/12/18 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ricki E. Bellos
This has such a unique hook, Scott. Also your trademark masterful lyrics. I loved the whole experience. And the shirts!

Ricki


Thanks Ricki. I'm running out of shirts. grin

Scott
Posted By: Greg C. Brown

Re: The Shiny Thing - 01/30/19 01:50 AM

Hey Scott,

Been a long time since I dropped in here. Thought I’d treat myself to some JPF tunes and ran across this gem. A fun song and entertaining video!

Greg
Posted By: Scott Campbell

Re: The Shiny Thing - 02/05/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Greg C. Brown
Hey Scott,

Been a long time since I dropped in here. Thought I’d treat myself to some JPF tunes and ran across this gem. A fun song and entertaining video!

Greg


Thanks, Greg. Glad you enjoyed. smile

Scott
© 2019 Just Plain Folks Music Organization Message Boards